Insurance?

Kryptonite ...their better locks come with $2k insurance, for one year.

Checked with my homeowner's insurance...covered, less $500 deductable. This includes off the property...at a store, say.

Last edited:
I self insure my bikes. I don’t let them out of my sight. If I stop in a store, I take the bike in. Not a single person has asked me to take it outside.
Aldi, who has a nearby brand new store, has no bike rack. They said ok to bring inside.

My nearby Walmart wouldn't allow this, neither does the university I attend. I have to fold and load my bike on my Travoy.
I don't know what to do with my RadBurro. I watch it like a hawk when I can, but I've already had the console stolen. It attracts far more attention than I expected, but the university staff know it's mine so I don't think that someone messing with it will be successful (especially w/o any assist...)
275 lbs doesn't move very easily. I need a jack to change a tire on it.
It's my middle finger at car ownership, but like a car I'll probably have to look into insurance and towing.

650DD355-F8B4-422F-87CD-3E3ED2DA4932.jpeg

I assume you mean oregon. I’m also in the PDX area. I’ve looked into velosurance for my soon to arrive $2k ebike.

124/yr + $200 deductible makes me a scratch my head.
Plus I figure I’ll be saving at least $30-60 per month in gas. Call it $350 a year.

Insurance is for catastrophic risks. Assuming I don’t get my bike stolen, after a year, I have almost half of my next bike paid for with savings.

I’m getting two u-locks and locking up in the best spot possible, taking the battery with me and calling it a day.

So self insuring. My work parking is okay, as is home in the garage, where I also lock it up my bikes. Would I leave it on the street overnight anywhere in Portland or more than a few hours, no.

That is a decent price for insurance. I will have to check out Velosurance. Spoke Insurance quoted me 361.00 a year for full replacement cost of 3000 w/ 50k liability w/ $300 deductible.

That is a decent price for insurance. I will have to check out Velosurance. Spoke Insurance quoted me 361.00 a year for full replacement cost of 3000 w/ 50k liability w/ $300 deductible.

In Virginia for my Class 2 DIY kit conversion this year I paid $150 for Markel/Velosurance 100k liability, and $100 for Balance personal injury.

My house insurance has a large liability rider in case I have to kill a dog or something. Had to whip one with the 6' cable last year to get it to back off. Insurance co has good lawyers.
Filing insurance claims is such a hassle I don't fool with it for any risk under $40000. Self insured the wife's new Elanta for example, one of the benefits of being retired.
So far 6' x 1/4" cable through frame and lamp fence or sign post has protected my bike fine. Use the grade 11 master lock. Removing quick disconnect on wheel and seat post has protected those, I see bikes chained to poles missing those a lot over in the fashionable rental part of Louisville. The display unit I'll just have to risk it. Any thief that takes that is an idiot anyway, since there are about 100 brands, but they don't get to be thieves by being smart.

Kryptonite ...their better locks come with $2k insurance, for one year.

It’s not too bad actually. I just purchased a lock that will cover up to $1750. You can purchase in year increments. 5 years is only $30.

I think whatever duration you select up front is all you get. In other words I don’t think you can purchase one year and then one more year at the end of the year.

https://velosurance.com/

I just insure the one bike I use to haul for shopping trips. I submitted $2800 in receipts for the build. $116/year, $100 deductible, vandalism covered too. Adding a small medical payment next year to cover the costs my health coverage won’t.

I opted to add my bike's retail cost onto my itemized list within my homeowner's policy. I believe it was $120/year. Since that coverage isn't like my blanket "general belongings / home contents coverage", if I had a loss of the bike, it is essentially an automatically-settled claim for the listed value.
I don't do any massive or multi-day road trips, etc. -- can't imagine that will have a chance of happening until retirement comes along. I mostly commute to work and take recreational weekend rides on the trail network around here -- I doubt I've even biked outside a 25 mile radius mapped from my home; and thus I've not yet been into a remote-enough area where I might not easily catch a taxi/Lyft or else phone a family member for an emergency pickup.

I’m getting two u-locks and locking up in the best spot possible, taking the battery with me and calling it a day.

BTW, Rad Power will not sell a spare battery to a non-registered owner...you might ask your brand about this very sensible policy!

You can't steal a bike w/o battery and expect to use it. Rad wants to know about every change of ownership, too.

My liability insurance is provided by a personal umbrella policy. I increased our coverage when we bought four ebikes.

My theft insurance is the Pedego-branded Foldylock. If purchased by the original owner when they buy the bike, Pedego provides two years of theft coverage, if the bike is not recovered by police within 30 days. Here's a written description:

https://pedegogo.zendesk.com/hc/en-...018-Pedego-Theft-Warranty-With-Qualified-Lock

2018 Pedego Theft Warranty With Qualified Lock
Pedego_2018_Theft_Warranty.jpg

Last edited:
I found out I can add my bike to my homeowners for $13/yr, no deductible. However I still need to get details on what all it covers and if it replaces full cost or depreciated value.

My homeowners will cover the bike up to $500 per bike unless I pay $300 extra, per bike, per year, for them to be covered as personal property worth $3,000 each! UGH!

Last edited:
After a long discussion with my homeowners insurance company, I have decided to insure my bike through Velosurance. Farmers was really on the fence about whether to classify an Ebike as a motorcycle or a bicycle. Like Ebikemom, if classified as a bike, they only cover up to 500 or they would create a separate policy classified under motorcycle for 1300 a year.

Velosurance quoted 335.64 a year. Because Portland has a high bicycle theft and accident rate, the rate is higher than what others might pay. With the cost of the bike plus all the added upgrades, I would not be able to easily replace this bike.

2018 EProdigy Magic ($27.97/month)

Bicycle Physical Damage (Including Theft)
$3,000.00 ($300.00 deductible)
Competitive Event Fee Reimbursement (Free)
$500.00 per occurrence/$1000.00 per term
Rental Reimbursement
If you are more than 50 miles from home and your bicycle is sidelined we will pay you rent a replacement bicycle.$250.00 per occurrence
Spare Parts
These are parts kept in reserve to replace parts that fail on the bicycle, i.e. a chain.$500.00 per occurrence/$1000.00 per term
Cycle Apparel
Your riding gear from helmet to shoes and everything in between.$500.00 per occurrence /$1000.00 per term
Liability Limit (Optional)
$25,000.00
Medical Payments (Optional)
$0.00 per person
Vehicle Contact Protection (Optional)
$0.00
Road Side Assistance (Optional)
No
World wide coverage (Optional)
No

Back