Insulated Trunk Cooler for Picnics?

rdowns

Perhaps on a day trip, has anyone considered something like this? So far I have been packing light snacks or a lunch cooler in my pannier. However, I wonder if a trunk bag that is insulated would be a more efficient choice.

Whenever possible I want everything I take with me to have multiple uses, to be multipurpose. With this in mind, I went with an Icemule cooler. They are insulated inflatable soft roll-top coolers that are easy to stow and let me use them in many ways, cooler, waterproof bag, heated bag, pillow, dirty laundry bag, seat cushion, and once a life preserver. A cooler is a good thing to have, not necessary... but when they can be used for so many different things it makes the decision to carry one all that much easier.

Like the icemule idea a lot. Roll it up and stuff in frame bag unless needed. Nice. :D

Whenever possible I want everything I take with me to have multiple uses, to be multipurpose. With this in mind, I went with an Icemule cooler. They are insulated inflatable soft roll-top coolers that are easy to stow and let me use them in many ways, cooler, waterproof bag, heated bag, pillow, dirty laundry bag, seat cushion, and once a life preserver. A cooler is a good thing to have, not necessary... but when they can be used for so many different things it makes the decision to carry one all that much easier.

I'll have a look at those. Thanks for the idea!

Ice Mule looks good for a bike picnic.

My wife and I mostly ride for errands or exercise. No need for snacks for errands. For longer exercise rides we want snacks that we can eat as we go so no picnics. We're talking bananas, isotonic drink tablets, energy bars, jerkey, dried fruit, etc. Hand snacks are in handle bar mounted feed bags. Anything else goes in a pannier pocket.

Keeps my stomach calmer regardless of the exercise level.

Keeps my stomach calmer regardless of the exercise level.
That's what I've been doing as well, when I have packed a lunch I have just been putting my lunch bag in my panniers. Perhaps I am overthinking it . I guess in my mind I am still thinking of riding with the kids when I carried food for 3 :(

I usually take my Lixada Insulated Trunk Bag for anything I need to keep warm or cold, this bag does a great job of keeping things their needed temperature and its big enough size for a decent meal. It comes with a cool shoulder strap so you can take the bag with you with your foods.

But it seems more than other times I usually just eat before I go on a ride to avoid carry so many things.

Maybe it is just me, but this sure looks like a solution searching for a problem.

If you are just hauling your lunch, I doubt very much the cheese or salad is going to be harmed (or be harmful to you) by being in the bag for a few hours. Even on journey I typically purchase dinner and breakfast late in the day and haul them to camp. I might stash the milk for coffee or wheaties in a creek to keep it reasonably cool, but if the nights are not too warm even that isn't necessary.

If you want hot or cold beverages, a small thermos would seem to be simpler, pack more easily, and overall work better.

Civilized countries do not chill their wine or beer, but will chill their sparkling water. I never carry sparkling water on a ride.

Maybe it is just me, but this sure looks like a solution searching for a problem.
Big difference between a couple of weeks away from society and a 2-hour long ride. Buying fast food or taking pre-cook meals with you is ok if you are in the company of your fellow man most of the time. But you're right... food is easy enough to deal with while riding. Lot's of over-thinking it here.

No doubt you are right. Lunch for one no problem, a nice picnic lunch on a day out for a group, a cooler trunk bag may be useful. I am comparing capacity more than cooling, I suppose. I like this expression however, I haven't heard it in awhile :)

Back