Indicator lights on e bike

Ilovemybike

Region
United Kingdom
Hi there I’m a bit of newby to group and just got a new ebike . Has anybody fitted indicators to their bike. where would they mount it all on the bars (cot pit ) of their bike it seems it’s getting a little cluttered round there
Thanks for all the reviews and posts

Why to install something that is not required by the law? Hand signals not enough?
It's probably different in Europe where bikes for transportation are more common place, but I've found the vast amount of cagers here in California at least, have no idea what I'm doing when I use hand signals on my bicycles. Some just think I'm waving to them and wave back to me, others think I'm looking to start trouble with them with my hand gestures, and still, most others look at me with a confused look. I'm not sure hand signals are even taught to new drivers anymore. They were when I was first licensed to drive a motor vehicle. It seems that the "dumbing" down of America is almost complete.

Hi there , at the moment just watching the news about the 1st plane that’s battery powered made , designed by Rolls Royce .They are not required by Law , I appreciate your comment but We and the World are moving forwards and that my freind with a view like that seems to me to be going backwards . Sorry and all but I would feel a lot more confident to let my fellow road users know where I am going .
I’ve been cycling all my life and a helmet is not required by law there’s not a lot of cyclists without one .
regards

I’ve been cycling all my life
But now you are e-biking :)
I ride a quite expensive Specialized Turbo Vado that was designed as a 45 km/h (28 mph) street legal e-bike. Back there in 2017, Specialized (one of the largest world bike brands) planned integrating indicators with the Vado but never made them work.

There is a word about some good bike helmets equipped with indicators. You might use the Forum Search feature on that.

Hi there thanks for that , it seems we are moving apace with all this tec difficult keeping up . My helmet at the moment does have a single rear light fitted as standard so weather I get lights on helmet or bike . It’s all good at moment lots to think about
Regards

Headlight, Tail Light and Turn Signals. Good to go.

AD81DF69-8D09-4399-95CA-A2FFC18EA860.jpeg

469DF7C9-4EB7-4DD2-8F62-A43B45B7242C.jpeg

Last edited:
My thoughts on this topic...yeah I think the addition of turn signal indicators on an ebike would at least be an added safety feature particularly when riding at night or in low level light conditions. I don't have turn indicators, I do use hand signals and I would say that the single best accessory I have fitted to my own bike is a rear view mirror, very useful for keeping an eye on what is behind me and in doing so I try to time my turns when there is no traffic approaching from behind. It's the distracted drivers that I worry about, even with turn signal indicators on your bike, a driver who is distracted by something like a cell phone won't necessarily see you. With that in mind I to try be aware of vehicles approaching from behind and navigate out of the way rather than assuming that they have seen me.

I didn't even know what you meant by indicators. But definitely not for me. I wear bright clothing and when evening riding I wear a jersey with reflective strips on it. When I lift my arm to indicate a turn or slowing down, the drivers around me have a very good view of what is going on. A blinking light tight that is only inches from the centerline of the bike could easily be mistaken as fooferdoggie said. If you are a strict Brit, shouldn't you mount semaphore indicators on the eBike?

Hi all , I’ve been thinking about this for a while , in the passed a cycle on the road would go faster than a pedestrian obviously and slower than motorists but these days at the moment what with runners ebikes and 20mph speed zones for cars we are all travelling at the same speed (or there abouts )
I wouldn’t know what to do about it all but having never cycled in Holland they seem to have it right way round am I not right in thinking that the faster vehicles give way to slower ones they also have the confidence not to wear helmets, seems a different world there
Regards

I like the Lumos helmet has turn signals that pair with an Apple Watch so they are activated by hand signals. Wicked Smart idea

Hi all , I’ve been thinking about this for a while , in the passed a cycle on the road would go faster than a pedestrian obviously and slower than motorists but these days at the moment what with runners ebikes and 20mph speed zones for cars we are all travelling at the same speed (or there abouts )
I wouldn’t know what to do about it all but having never cycled in Holland they seem to have it right way round am I not right in thinking that the faster vehicles give way to slower ones they also have the confidence not to wear helmets, seems a different world there
Regards
...yeah I think it would be fair to say that the Netherlands and indeed a few other countries in Europe appear to have a more accepting attitude towards sharing the road with cyclists. Cycling as a form of recreation or a choice for daily transport as well as the big pro tour events all seem to be part of the culture.
My own experiences of cycle touring New Zealand and Australia in the 1990's I quickly learned the rule of 'might is right'..(ie) get out of the way of any larger vehicle. Attitude towards cyclists here in NZ don't appear to have changed much and I still keep in mind the might-is-right principal when riding as a form of self preservation. I am greatful that councils and road planning authorities are aware of the need to create designated space for cyclists on roads as well as seperate cycle paths so it becomes the responsibility of myself as a cyclist to use these designated areas and the responsibility of motorists to stay within their part of the carriageway.

The problem is that often the turn signals are not far enough apart to obviously indicate direction. From any distance away, they can seem to be in the middle of the bike, part of the taillight. They should be obviously arrows, and as far apart as possible.

The problem is that often the turn signals are not far enough apart to obviously indicate direction. From any distance away, they can seem to be in the middle of the bike, part of the taillight. They should be obviously arrows, and as far apart as possible.
yep this is the problem. I had a lumps helmet that had a led display with various types of arrows that could be animated. But it was too heavy.

If it's of interest, I've been riding with a beta Brooklyness/Beyond Classon smart helmet since mid-2020 and pleased to report I haven't had nearly the number of road user close calls that I'd have ordinarily experienced before it. It offers high visibility with hand gesture-activated turn signals at driver eye-level, as well as video cameras and other features like rear brake light, blindspot rear-approach warnings, that are supposed to be coming with firmware updates. Thread here. Also recommend the Juiced horn/alarm when asserting position in traffic.

CYCL Winglights are mounted on the ends of the handlbars. That's as far apart as you will get them on any given bike.
winglights-fixed-1.jpg

From CYCL website. They have fixed and magnetic versions available.

CYCL Winglights are mounted on the ends of the handlbars. That's as far apart as you will get them on any given bike.
View attachment 107836
From CYCL website. They have fixed and magnetic versions available.
I seriously considered this solution in 2020 and at the time was looking for a two-stage static amber position light for night time riding with a brighter turn signal. I see they have those versions developed now, but really pricey. The magnetic ones seemed to make more sense for locking up in public, but I was worried a bit about loosing one or both on big bumps and/or potholes. $78 - maybe literally down a drain! Would value anyone's real world experiences with these. Do you have these @Rickman1?

Back