Improving BBSHD chainline: 42T Lekkie or Eclipse?

CCroft

I'd like to improve the chainline on my BBSHD fat bike. Attached photos will show my current setup with the Eclipse 36T ring. I'm not throwing the chain, but shifting is rough and certainly there's chain wear when I'm in the larger rear cogs of my Sunrace CSMS8 11-46. I have the 120mm BBSHD and am currently using 3.5-4mm spacers on the right/drive side, and 16mm of spacers on the left/non-drive side. Just eyeballing, a 'straight' chainline with my current setup puts me at about the 3rd/15T rear cog; looks like I'd need about 14-15mm to get to the center of the cassette. Currently there's about 30-35mm offset between "straight" and my largest 46T rear cog.

From what little I've read, both the Eclipse 42T and Lekkie Bling 42T are quality rings. So the main issue for me is which is the better choice as far as fit/clearance. I've read that the Eclipse offers somewhat more offset, but has a larger diameter (?). I vaguely remember reading about a concern with the Eclipse's larger tooth length and challenging chain removal (?), as well as a 'quality control' issue with the Lekkie requiring some filing (?) to work with some chains?

'Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    510 KB · Views: 872
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 552
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 504
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    798.2 KB · Views: 602
  • E.JPG
    E.JPG
    616.5 KB · Views: 584
Eclipse has a deeper dish. 42T is as small as you can go and move the chain line in around the motor unless you buy a Lekkie 40T kit. Some bikes will never have a chainline that allows using all gears without some stress. Chainrings with a deeper dish may be a problem with your chainstay.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 5.17.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 5.16.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 5.30.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 5.34.31 AM.png

Last edited:
Hey thanks Thomas, I appreciate all this information!

An eBiker over at ES said I should also consider whether I really need/use those smallest cogs, and if not move them behind the largest ones as 'spacers' to improve the chainline towards those largest ones. Obviously would need to adjust the rear derailleur limits accordingly, but this might make sense since this is mostly an off-road bike and even on-road I don't use these smaller cogs much with this heavy fat bike...interesting option I hadn't thought of...

Last edited:
Back