Impressions of the C Class

KurtW

Hello,

I have begun researching electric bikes with the goal of purchasing a bike this spring for fun and exercise. My commute involves a long mountain climb and crossing a busy highway so I will not be commuting with it. Biking the countryside and trips to the store are what I am looking for.

The C Class is on my short list of potential bikes. I'd like to hear from other forum members on their experience with the bike. What is it like to ride with the solid bamboo platform blocking the tire?

Any comments would be appreciated.

My girlfriend has the bike, and she does enjoy it. She's just using it for casual rides at the moment because she's still getting comfortable riding in the city, but we have taken it to a park where she can ride more freely. Seems to handle hills pretty well, fairly waterproof and the battery seems to have a good range.

She really enjoys the bamboo tray in front and has used it for coffee and carrying other stuff with the included bungee cords. One thing that I didn't expect/realize is that the bars for the rear rack are thicker than most I've come across. So most standard panniers don't fit. There are a couple ways around this, I've attached a couple carabiner clips to it and now any pannier will work just fine.

The one negative thing I will say is not about the bike, but about Ariel Rider support. I haven't had the best experience with support and sometimes my emails have gone unanswered. We waited months to get the bike because it was on backorder, and the backorder date shifted at least 3 times without much of an explanation. Once we finally received the bike I was able to put it together (with no given instructions), except the battery lock wasn't attached and there was no obvious way to attach it. I figured out my own way to do it, but no average person should have to do that. Lastly, one of the fender bars was put together backwards. After getting in touch with support, they said that they'd send out a new one right away. This was back in November and we still don't have a replacement fender bar.

So while I do think the bike is nice and very capable, the support from the company is lacking.

Hope that helps you!

My girlfriend has the bike, and she does enjoy it. She's just using it for casual rides at the moment because she's still getting comfortable riding in the city, but we have taken it to a park where she can ride more freely. Seems to handle hills pretty well, fairly waterproof and the battery seems to have a good range.

She really enjoys the bamboo tray in front and has used it for coffee and carrying other stuff with the included bungee cords. One thing that I didn't expect/realize is that the bars for the rear rack are thicker than most I've come across. So most standard panniers don't fit. There are a couple ways around this, I've attached a couple carabiner clips to it and now any pannier will work just fine.

The one negative thing I will say is not about the bike, but about Ariel Rider support. I haven't had the best experience with support and sometimes my emails have gone unanswered. We waited months to get the bike because it was on backorder, and the backorder date shifted at least 3 times without much of an explanation. Once we finally received the bike I was able to put it together (with no given instructions), except the battery lock wasn't attached and there was no obvious way to attach it. I figured out my own way to do it, but no average person should have to do that. Lastly, one of the fender bars was put together backwards. After getting in touch with support, they said that they'd send out a new one right away. This was back in November and we still don't have a replacement fender bar.

So while I do think the bike is nice and very capable, the support from the company is lacking.

Hope that helps you!

This rings true. There was another thread on this forum that was initiated last year where very similar issues with the lack of customer support were brought up and discussed. At the time I was just about to pull the trigger on the purchase of one of their M Class bikes. That previous thread caused me to pull back from making the investment. This input from this thread seems to confirm that customer care after the sale is still close to nonexistent at the company.

Hi
This rings true. There was another thread on this forum that was initiated last year where very similar issues with the lack of customer support were brought up and discussed. At the time I was just about to pull the trigger on the purchase of one of their M Class bikes. That previous thread caused me to pull back from making the investment. This input from this thread seems to confirm that customer care after the sale is still close to nonexistent at the company.

Hi Merv,

This is Nora from Ariel Rider Ebikes. It is true that we've had a few delays in C-Class orders and customer support due to relocating our warehouse etc.,
These issues are all addressed and we've expanded our customer service team in order to provide the best support possible.
Please do not hesitate to contact us, if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,
Nora

So far, I've had good, timely response to my queries. The 2020 C class has a somewhat different frame configuration from the earlier ones. Mine did not come with the front tray, though there are fastening points for it. Also, the tubing used for the rear rack is quite fat (1/2" or so), so I had to modify the hanging hooks for the side baskets I bought. But it has been my habit for years to void warranties on almost every new tool or gadget that I've bought, always with the idea of "improving" the way things work. And sometimes this works out. I haven't made many such mods yet, but probably will.
I did replace the seat post to lower the seat, then replaced the stock seat with a comfort seat. Lost about half of the lowered dimensions in so doing. But I now can ride with pretty good confidence that I'll be able to get a foot down when I need to. Before, I was on tiptoe when I came to a stop. Not a comfortable feeling.
I do enjoy the bike. Makes me feel like I'm in my seventies again.

Has anyone riding this bike noticed an occasional clicking or clanking sound from the motor? I hear it about once or twice per ride. It sounds and feels a little like a chain slipping a gear, but that's not it. It's coming from the motor. It doesn't seem to affect performance much if at all, but the sound is disconcerting? Anyone else hearing an occasional odd sound from the motor?

I'm hearing something, but it sounds like a chain slipping a cog. But I know it can't be that, because the chain has virtually no slack. I only hear it when cranking hard, as on start up, but it sounds like it's coming from the IGH. Hope it isn't a gear going bad in the hub. Doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be disconcerting. Maybe it's a sort of clutch that prevents one from over-torquing the hub and breaking something?

One reason I chose this bike is that I'd never had an IGH before, and wanted to see what that is all about. I like not having to pedal/shift when stopping. Haven't tackled any serious hills yet.

I've got a 2 block long straight stretch with little traffic nearby, and was able to get up to 21 mph in 5th gear and level 2 (or was it 3?) within the two blocks. I may have inadvertently altered the limiter when I was struggling to make the speedo and odometer work. The manual is annoying because the written part doesn't agree with the photos when figuring out the display and its functions.

Last edited:
I was referred to this video, which shows you how to tune the nexus hub. I tried this fix, but my hub seems to be properly aligned already. The two yellow lines referred to in the video are already lined up properly for me. So I am back to the drawing board. It sounds to me like something in the motor, rather than the read cassette hub, and it sounds like a clicking or clanking. I hear it nearly every time I go out, about once or twice. Sometimes I hear the sound twice in quick succession. Worrisome. If anyone has had any similar experiences, please let me know!

Here is the link to the video. Maybe it will work for you.

I was referred to this video, which shows you how to tune the nexus hub. I tried this fix, but my hub seems to be properly aligned already. The two yellow lines referred to in the video are already lined up properly for me. So I am back to the drawing board. It sounds to me like something in the motor, rather than the read cassette hub, and it sounds like a clicking or clanking. I hear it nearly every time I go out, about once or twice. Sometimes I hear the sound twice in quick succession. Worrisome. If anyone has had any similar experiences, please let me know!

Here is the link to the video. Maybe it will work for you.

I have had the same experience. It is a little worrying. I have a new motor on order so we'll see if that fixes things.

I have had the same experience. It is a little worrying. I have a new motor on order so we'll see if that fixes things.

Did AR send you the new motor due to your warranty, or did you just buy one? Also, good luck with the fix. If you could reply back here and let us know if they replaced your motor due to warranty and if you have issues with the new one, that would be awesome. I am waiting on an email reply from Chloe to see what to do next, myself.

Did AR send you the new motor due to your warranty, or did you just buy one? Also, good luck with the fix. If you could reply back here and let us know if they replaced your motor due to warranty and if you have issues with the new one, that would be awesome. I am waiting on an email reply from Chloe to see what to do next, myself.
Ariel is supposedly sending me a new one after I sent them a recording of the sound my motor makes after riding for six miles or so. It has a rattling/chirping sound. It also makes the sound that you mentioned but I hadn't mentioned that to them. I was going to but they offered to send me a new motor before I got around to amending my problem report with the new information. I will definitely let you know if the new motor fixes the issue. Not really looking forward to either installing this myself or finding someone in the pandemic to do it.

Ariel is supposedly sending me a new one after I sent them a recording of the sound my motor makes after riding for six miles or so. It has a rattling/chirping sound. It also makes the sound that you mentioned but I hadn't mentioned that to them. I was going to but they offered to send me a new motor before I got around to amending my problem report with the new information. I will definitely let you know if the new motor fixes the issue. Not really looking forward to either installing this myself or finding someone in the pandemic to do it.

Thanks for letting me know. They just asked for a recording of the sound, and I just sent one. So it seem likely I will be following the same route as you. I hear you about installing the motor and the pandemic. My wife has a serious auto-immune disorder, and we are being especially careful. I appreciate you keeping me updated on your progress--for example, how long it takes to get the motor and whether or not you decide to install it yourself.

Are you still riding the bike?

Thanks for letting me know. They just asked for a recording of the sound, and I just sent one. So it seem likely I will be following the same route as you. I hear you about installing the motor and the pandemic. My wife has a serious auto-immune disorder, and we are being especially careful. I appreciate you keeping me updated on your progress--for example, how long it takes to get the motor and whether or not you decide to install it yourself.

Are you still riding the bike?
Yes. I'm still riding it. I have found that it only seems to be a problem when I use higher motor-assist levels. So, I keep it on 1 or 2.

Yes. I'm still riding it. I have found that it only seems to be a problem when I use higher motor-assist levels. So, I keep it on 1 or 2.
Just got the motor via Fedex. It's a Tonsheng TSDZ3. I'm researching youtube now for hints on how to replace it. I wonder if I'll need a torque wrench.

Just got the motor via Fedex. It's a Tonsheng TSDZ3. I'm researching youtube now for hints on how to replace it. I wonder if I'll need a torque wrench.

Wait? Whoah. You mean AR didn't even provide you with instructions for how to replace the motor? Ouch.

It doesn't look like it's going to be too difficult but... yep no instructions.
I removed the easy stuff and then found out that I don't have a pedal driver. So, I have one on order from Amazon. I've also asked Ariel for instructions but I suspect they don't have anything written.

I removed the easy stuff and then found out that I don't have a pedal driver. So, I have one on order from Amazon. I've also asked Ariel for instructions but I suspect they don't have anything written.

Thanks for sharing the update. If/when I get to your point, I will be sure to ask that they include a pedal driver. You are doing better than I am. For a while AR was responsive to my emails, but Chloe hasn't replied to me in nearly a week. I sent her the recording of the sound, like she asked, and they just haven't replied since then. I even sent a follow-up email a couple of days ago. I guess I'll try another follow-up email, and if they don't reply to that within a few days, I will start stalking them on Twitter.

I know from the AR FB group that the company has been busy with a deadline for a big shipment of their X-class. I am hoping that the reason they have been so slow to reply is related to that. They have such a good rep in terms of getting back to people. I really hope this is a fluke.

Thanks for sharing the update. If/when I get to your point, I will be sure to ask that they include a pedal driver. You are doing better than I am. For a while AR was responsive to my emails, but Chloe hasn't replied to me in nearly a week. I sent her the recording of the sound, like she asked, and they just haven't replied since then. I even sent a follow-up email a couple of days ago. I guess I'll try another follow-up email, and if they don't reply to that within a few days, I will start stalking them on Twitter.

I know from the AR FB group that the company has been busy with a deadline for a big shipment of their X-class. I am hoping that the reason they have been so slow to reply is related to that. They have such a good rep in terms of getting back to people. I really hope this is a fluke.
I saw that on FB too. I know AR is a small company so I'm trying to cut them a little slack because I really do like the bike.

I had to send a "Any news on this?" once after sending the recording. I was expecting that they'd ask me to do more debugging but instead they told me that they were sending me a new motor which was shipped a couple days later.

Btw, the motor is a Tongsheng TSDZ2. It's possible that you might find someone on YouTube complaining about the same noise there. I looked but didn't see any fixes beyond replacing a plastic gear in the motor. I sure hope that the new motor doesn't have a plastic gear. I don't want to dismantle things again.

By the way, we had slightly worse experiences with my wife's M-class. The brake tube on that was too short and pulled every time you took a turn, causing all of the fluid to leak out. Getting them to send me all of the parts needed to fix that took a couple of tries over a couple of weeks. They sent me a brake bleed kit but it was pretty much (#*$& so I ended up buying a better one from Amazon. Feeding a new tube through the frame and bleeding the brakes was actually kind of fun.

I saw that on FB too. I know AR is a small company so I'm trying to cut them a little slack because I really do like the bike.

I had to send a "Any news on this?" once after sending the recording. I was expecting that they'd ask me to do more debugging but instead they told me that they were sending me a new motor which was shipped a couple days later.

Btw, the motor is a Tongsheng TSDZ2. It's possible that you might find someone on YouTube complaining about the same noise there. I looked but didn't see any fixes beyond replacing a plastic gear in the motor. I sure hope that the new motor doesn't have a plastic gear. I don't want to dismantle things again.

By the way, we had slightly worse experiences with my wife's M-class. The brake tube on that was too short and pulled every time you took a turn, causing all of the fluid to leak out. Getting them to send me all of the parts needed to fix that took a couple of tries over a couple of weeks. They sent me a brake bleed kit but it was pretty much (#*$& so I ended up buying a better one from Amazon. Feeding a new tube through the frame and bleeding the brakes was actually kind of fun.

Update: Old motor is out and new motor is installed.

I needed to buy a crank puller:

Pedal cranks came out pretty easily. I'll be billing Ariel for that part.

Here is the instructions they sent:

1. Take the battery out,
2. Unscrew the crank arms,
3. Unscrew the motor cover,
4. Unplug all the connectors in the motor,
5. Unscrew the motor and take it out.
6. You can install the new motor in following the same steps as above in reverse.

It wasn't clear to me that 3. was what was required to unbolt the motor so I spent time looking for other bolts. Just my stupidity though.

I also thought at first that the new motor had fewer wires than the old but it turned out that one of the wires I thought was coming from the motor was not. There are five wires coming from the motor and it seems like it will be easy to reconnect everything. Not so easy to get everything stuffed in neatly though. I took a picture of the wires before pulling out the motor.

There is an added step to the above: Unscrew the chain guard. There are two bolts that attach the chain guard to the motor. Those are on a track and can be adjusted. I had a hard time getting the chain guard back on after reinstalling because the track was positioned more counter-clockwise than the one on the original motor.

My wife is pretty angry that we bought an expensive bike which needs to be fixed but I'm actually kinda enjoying the learning experience.

Last edited:
Back