"I'm Riding in the Rain, Just Riding in the Rain..."

Having worked out in the rain, and snow, and heat...I tell myself, "Yup. I'm wet, I'm uncomfortable but it is not a permanent condition and I will be dry eventually. I usually carry a spare fleece something to change into because when I'm moving in rain gear, the name should be changed to sauna gear, and when I'm not wearing rain gear, I'm gonna get wet. Having something dry to change into during the day is good.

I now live in the dry area of the state, but still have all the necessary gear for wet. A shoe dryer is a wonderful device.

this is portland Oregon it will now new raining a lot all winter. its not too hard to keep dry Burt I hate wearing rain pants. I use waterproof keen shoes as they are easier than shoe covers. but its the short ride that suck because you down want to put all the stuff on to go a mile to the store.
Sorry

this is portland Oregon it will now new raining a lot all winter. its not too hard to keep dry Burt I hate wearing rain pants. I use waterproof keen shoes as they are easier than shoe covers. but its the short ride that suck because you down want to put all the stuff on to go a mile to the store.
Here in DC when the summer is hot and humid and it rains torrentially at about the same time each afternoon it’s uncomfortable to wear rain pants so this summer I tried out these “rain legs” chaps I bought from Clever Cycles in Portland, OR, they do a reasonable job and I don’t sweat wearing them. In heavy rain I also wear a vinyl poncho I bought from Decathlon in San Francisco, very like the one posted earlier in this thread by @phoenixtoohot .
76BD7294-AC9C-4445-88C8-132964E8A4D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Ever heard of motorcycle helmets? They are equally inappropriate for bike riding but offer more protection than snowboarding lids, or maybe a full NASA spacesuit.
But you can't breath properly in a Motorcycle Helmet : Sorta like wearing a Mask ;) You start breathing deep pedaling and a Motorcycle Helmet won't allow you to clear your air fast enough : LOL I tried it last winter (A full face worked ok )

Ever heard of motorcycle helmets? They are equally inappropriate for bike riding but offer more protection than snowboarding lids, or maybe a full NASA spacesuit.
You must be joking. I've ridden for the whole last Winter in a snowboarding helmet. You might benefit by reading this thread:

Winter e-biking advices

Matching clear goggles help your eyeballs not to freeze.

1601238600080.png

"Inappropriate for bike riding" :D

Last edited:
My Schwalbe Marathon 365 all-season tires (700x45) are on the way. Just ordered a helmet rain cover. I think I have warm rain-proof gloves. Waterproof sailing/hiking shoes and boots, check. Lightweight breathing Arcteryx shell already in use, will fit in my trunk bag. Gill breathing foul weather jacket ready to go. Just need lightweight rainproof pants... preferably breathing. The sailing bib overalls I have are heavy and designed for sitting in the rain and splash, not pedalling, so I need to look for some lightweight ones. I’m used to sailing in really wet conditions, so won’t mind biking either.

The very first day we purchased our bikes, we rode them home in the rain about seven miles. The next day I noticed the inside of my display was foggy. That was the last time I ever rode it in the rain. My bike Canondale and has the Bosch display and motor.

The very first day we purchased our bikes, we rode them home in the rain about seven miles. The next day I noticed the inside of my display was foggy. That was the last time I ever rode it in the rain. My bike Canondale and has the Bosch display and motor.
Ouch! That rules out almost 50% of days in our corner of the world...

Which display?

Why didn't you take the POS back?

But you can't breath properly in a Motorcycle Helmet : Sorta like wearing a Mask ;) You start breathing deep pedaling and a Motorcycle Helmet won't allow you to clear your air fast enough : LOL I tried it last winter (A full face worked ok )
I was being facetious, man. A motorcycle helmet is WAY overkill just like a heavy-ass snowboarder helmet is. Helmets aren't made for warmth, they are made for safety... impacts. If your head, ears, neck, face, or scrotum for that matter is cold a helmet isn't going to help much especially since most are made with ventilation in mind. Ride safe Barry.

That is unfortunate. I have basically done everything but use my (Bosch-equipped) e-bike as a submarine and it keeps on chugging along.

I like riding in the rain, but only with good rain gear. I got started when I used to ride motorcycles on multi day trips. There was something adventurous and bold about it. On the bicycles, I have a poncho specific to bicycles (similar to the one below) and a 2 piece suit by Frogg Toggs, which I prefer for faster rides or heavier rain. The Frogg Toggs included hood goes right over my helmet and has drawstrings to pull it tight. Try it sometime. 🙂

Frogg Toggs are awesome. For $40 bucks you get ugly but minimalist raingear that performs as well as anything costing 5 times as much.

In general rain pants don't work well for me if I am at all active. I figure my legs are waterproof and either wear shorts, very thin tights, or very light wind pants. If it is above 6C I am probably wearing shorts.

The best single garment I have for rain protection is a Cleverhood rain poncho. It covers from your head past your knees while riding, is easy to stow, fast to don, the best reflective piece of safety gear I've seen, great hood, magnetic arm slits for access, durable, super easy to burp, and vent while riding in warmer temps., and protects items you wear from the rain, best of all it can't absorb water. - https://photos.app.goo.gl/mNzY1GPUi9dofPtk8

Not Afraid of Winter, Rain, or Snow :)

1601487499373.png

Below 10 C and against strong wind, it is hard to ride without goggles if you wear optical glasses.

Last edited:
Back