IGH questions

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
I am considering alternatives for the Shimano Nexus 8 IGH I currently pair with a Bafang BBS01 mid-drive on a converted Breezer Downtown with horizontal dropouts. I was contemplating either Enviolo cargo or Shimano Nexus Inter-5e. Both appear to be stronger and able to take mid-drive torque. Are there particular issues with mounting the Enviolo? I seem to recall reading somewhere the action of shifting tends to pull on the hub which can loosen belt tension but my frame doesn't have a frame break to mount a belt and I don't want to use the Veer split belt so I would use a standard chain and sprocket. All advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm curious. Where did you find a comparison?
Nothing published directly comparing them but from reading around Shimano claim the Inter-5e is about 2.5-3 times stronger than the Nexus 8/Alfine 8, while the Enviolo Cargo appears to be the strongest in their range and is fitted by Workcycles to their FR8 model paired with a BBS02 and I trust their judgement. Plus general availability and price. Inter-5e appears on a few 2021 models paired with Bosch and Brose motors so I figured its worth a look. Biktrix went with a Sturmey RX5 on their BBS02 powered 2021 Stunner model, but I've read conflicting info on Endless Sphere about the Sturmey 5 and I don't want to make the same mistake getting an IGH not robust enough to cope.

Someone on another forum suggested using the Surly Hurdy Gurdy chain tensioner in case axle slippage was an issue with the semi horizontal forward facing dropouts on my frame.

Last edited:
Should I fit a gear sensor to the BBS01 with an Enviolo cargo hub? I’ve read mixed reports about the need to back off power when upshifting.

Update: I emailed Evelo and Workcycles who both sell models pairing a mid-drive with an Enviolo hub, and from their replies neither use a gear sensor with an Enviolo hub.

Last edited:
12C3F0A9-1240-4BE1-987D-143A6055520B.jpeg

So it’s been two weeks since the bike was converted and I’m getting used to the shifting technique, I pause pedaling to upshift, but I find I can downshift at any time. This is very helpful when I’m climbing a progressively steeper hill and I want to do small adjustments of my cadence without needing to stop pedaling

Last edited:
Have you ridden a bike with a shift sensor? I ride an Ultra powered bike, and even though I've been "pausing" during my shifts for many years, I find that shift sensor pretty much stays out of my way with little downside. It's nice having on a hard climb. Point being, if you can find one, they aren't expensive or difficult to install, and you might enjoy the extra security of having it. Bottom line, IMHO, might be worth a try.... -Al

Hi Al, I used a gear sensor when the bike had the Nexus 8 IGH installed, is that what you mean? With the conversion to the Enviolo Cargo CVT I had the gear sensor removed and so far I haven't noticed any problems.

I'm not sure how necessary something like that would ever be for what you are doing here. I think of them more as "screw up insurance". If I screw up a shift, it's there trying to make me look good, providing a little more assurance of no load shifting. Kind of a deluxe feature. No big deal. Just a thought. -Al

Hi Al, I used a gear sensor when the bike had the Nexus 8 IGH installed, is that what you mean? With the conversion to the Enviolo Cargo CVT I had the gear sensor removed and so far I haven't noticed any problems.
PM I have several unused GS should you want one. I came to dislike them, and consider them as useless as the two EggRiders I GAVE away.

Last edited:
PM I have several unused GS should you want one. I came to dislike them, and consider them as useless as the two EggRiders I GAVE away.

Good feedback Tom, is there another Bluetooth display, or more sophisticated display that lets you change controller settings, that you prefer for Bafang?

Good feedback Tom, is there another Bluetooth display, or more sophisticated display that lets you change controller settings, that you prefer for Bafang?
I’m in The Who gives a hoot crowd. 8 years of BBSxx series motors and I can’t think of a reason to change settings on the fly.

I’m in The Who gives a hoot crowd. 8 years of BBSxx series motors and I can’t think of a reason to change settings on the fly.
In my opinion wireless on bikes is mostly a gimmick. People eat it up so why not sell it? It is one more problem. You need to keep both ends charged or the bike is not functional. I sucks when suddenly you can't shift because the wireless battery is dead.

Time to swap out the studded tires so after work today I took off the back wheel, which involved unhooking the two shifter cables from the manual hub interface, but on reassembly wouldn’t you know it I couldn’t get the ferrule end cap for the cable housing on one of the cables back into place. After much fiddling and cursing the shifter now works, but the ferrule is still not seated in place and the cable is tugging it around the spindle. Hopefully shifting won’t be affected so I can ride the bike to the shop tomorrow morning.

I wanted to learn how fiddly getting the back wheel off might be in case I had to change a flat at the roadside, ah well, it did give me an opportunity to replace one of the axle acorn nuts with my Thule internal hub hitch adapter nut.

Last edited:
Time to swap out the studded tires so after work today I took off the back wheel, which involved unhooking the cables from the manual hub interface, but on reassembly wouldn’t you know it I couldn’t get the ferrule end cap for the cable housing on one of the cables back into place. After much fiddling and cursing the shifter now works, but the ferrule is still not seated in place and the cable is tugging it around the spindle. Hopefully shifting won’t be affected so I can ride the bike to the shop tomorrow morning.

I wanted to learn how fiddly getting the back wheel off might be in case I had to change a flat at the roadside, ah well, it did give me an opportunity to replace one of the axle acorn nuts with my Thule internal hub hitch adapter nut.
You should be able to pull the tire of the non-drive side, leaving the cables attached. I have a Nuvinci hub sitting in its box. The sucker is Heavy. The five speed Nexus would be better. With power I do not need little increments. I do not like heavy bikes. I rode my three speed coaster brake today. It has a heavy duty chain and is a blast to ride.
1646451119261.jpeg

The bike shop was able to get the ferrule back into place right away and I was shown where it was sticking, all good again. Swapped out the front tire, the bike feels great now it’s back to regular touring tires.

Back