If I Only Knew Before I Bought a Kommoda

arcom

Full Disclosure I haven't ridden it yet.

My life with the Kommoda thus far has not been ideal. The kickstand was broken off and lying at the bottom of the shipping box. There are no signs of any contact with the box itself as there are no dings in the cardboard. One phone call and an email with a pic of the broken kickstand put a new kickstand in the mail the same day. (+1 for Cyrusher support.)

What I did not know and what was never mentioned at all in the numerous videos of the bike is the fact that with the battery installed there is no way to turn off the power. In other words, the only way to prevent someone from turning on the bike and driving away is to physically remove the battery. Of course, one could chain the bike to a secure location but sometimes that becomes too much of a chore. All the key does is allow the removal and installation of the battery pack. There is no "off" position. Perhaps my limited knowledge of all things ebike is the reason I'm not aware of any other ebike that does not have an "off" position which allows the key to be removed and prevents the turning on of the bike.

So I ask the question: are there other bikes with the same setup?

I have three ebikes and on all of them the key is only used to release the battery. On two of my ebikes with Bafang motors I could use the optional code lock, if I wanted to, but I don't, because the bike can be stolen with the power on or off.
On my third ebike I have an aftermarket de-restrictor, and the accompanying app allows me to lock out the motor so the bike can't be turned on.

My preference is for batteries with an On/Off switch. That way I can remove/install the battery in the Off position to prevent a spark or when transporting it in the safe Off position. Charging the batteries I like most in the Off position allows for a 90% charge, extending the number of years before a battery will begin to sag. I also like batteries that are external. That makes for easy swaps for batteries that are size appropriate for a particular ride. I normally take the smallest that I can get away with for a ride.

I would just cable-lock that puppy and call it good.

Is that the best Cyrusher could do for a name? I'm just thinking, you won't catch me pedaling when I'm sitting on the Kommode, uh. ;)
I was thinking of the lizard. A bike called the big lizard, Komodo. Specialized has bikes named for the axis' of airplanes but still have not named a bike Yaw.
1665092103323.png

1665091875001.jpeg

i have 2 bikes like this, they have security codes but the throttle is still live while the 30 second code input menu is up so anyone could turn on my bike and hit the throttle for 30secs before the bike shuts down, more than enough time to damage spokes if the bike is rim locked! Its no big deal so far, no one has ever done this in three years and its for sure not a deal breaker, Kommoda is a really nice bike, really peppy!
did the hill climb at 16mph! very impressive bike.
BTW this^ channel is fantastic! I always recommend checking out their review along with EBR's before buying!
I know it would be overkill but i might even put a nice suspension post on one of these!

Last edited:
The bike has an on / off switch it's located underneath the up down arrow that sets the pedal assist
That’s true, but the fact is, anybody can turn your bike on and turn it off.
I had a conversation with a tech rep in Utah and he stated that they have made the factory aware of the need for an actual secure on off switch key

Yamaha’s key is for removing the battery only. I think that a key as an on switch would be annoying for many and still allow the bike to be pedaled away by a thief, (or just get put into the back of a truck).

My key is just for the battery as well.

I think an ignition key might give a false sense of security?
Perhaps the manufacturers don't want to be held liable for a stolen bike?

It's up to the consumers to secure their ebikes themselves.

My key is just for the battery as well.

I think an ignition key might give a false sense of security?
Perhaps the manufacturers don't want to be held liable for a stolen bike?

It's up to the consumers to secure their ebikes themselves.
I agree it's up to the user.

Back