I would love you input

FredE

I've been in the market for an entry-level ebike and I've been watching the forms and searching online visiting local bike dealers.

I have come across two bikes that seem to be the same, just different names.

The Mangnum Mi5
https://www.magnumbikes.com/portfolio-item/magnum-mi5/

And
The Spark
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The specs are the same it warranty the same just one is $700 less (USD)

Is the local bikes shop experience worth the $700?

Thanks

One is $1699 USD with free shipping. Seems like the market price. Magnum bikes appears to be based in Salt Lake City. Is that where you are?

The other is $1249 CDN ($974 USD) before shipping? That doesn't seem right to me. Too low in my opinion.

Last edited:
How handy are you with tools and bike maintenance? With no local support, it will be up to you to work with someone on the phone or messaging to diagnose and repair any issues. You may also be without a bike for a longer period if there is an issue while you do this remote troubleshooting and wait for parts to arrive. Some companies keep the costs down with very poor parts inventory and waiting for parts may mean waiting for arrival from China. You will also be responsible for brake adjustments and pad replacement. Oddly, I don't see where either of them tell you what kind of hub motor you will be getting. The don't say gear or gear less. One comes with 26" tires, the other 27.5, so not identical. I get really nervous when the technical info is not the best. Do your homework and the bikes and suppliers!

How handy are you with tools and bike maintenance? With no local support, it will be up to you to work with someone on the phone or messaging to diagnose and repair any issues. You may also be without a bike for a longer period if there is an issue while you do this remote troubleshooting and wait for parts to arrive. Some companies keep the costs down with very poor parts inventory and waiting for parts may mean waiting for arrival from China. You will also be responsible for brake adjustments and pad replacement. Oddly, I don't see where either of them tell you what kind of hub motor you will be getting. The don't say gear or gear less. One comes with 26" tires, the other 27.5, so not identical. I get reay nervous when the technical info is not the best. Do your homework and the bikes and suppliers!

Rich are you saying that if you buy from a good local bike shop they should include brake pad maintenance with the purchase of the bike and they would not service a bike they did not sell even if you paid them to do so?

Are ebikes uber temperamental? I have read so many service concerns regarding not buying from a bike shop I am starting to wonder if maybe ebikes in general are not all that reliable and if buying one means I am going to spend a ton of time maintaining it.

Both of the bikes have a geared bufang 350 watt hub and I can live with either tire size

Thanks from another nervous nelly

If you are a nervous Nellie, maybe you want to google map the store front for that $900 ebike.

Thanks for the tip Harry, I am not nervous about receiving the bike, that is what credit cards are for .

I am just trying to understand how two bikes with basically the same components are so differently priced.

What am I missing?

The parts inventory answer make some sense but I'm wondering if I should be paying an additional $700 to a company for them to keep inventory?

Would love to see review on that bike.

I looked on the Forum but the conversation got sidetracked from a review on the bike

Why the vast price difference? One guy has an actual storefront in SLC and a Yelp review. He's got rent, inventory, and costs.
address3.jpg

The other guy has a post on facebook, and the website you linked. The address of the contact phone shows a house in British Columbia. , he has sold one bike on ebay, but no feedback yet. So let's call him a start-up.

Rich are you saying that if you buy from a good local bike shop they should include brake pad maintenance with the purchase of the bike and they would not service a bike they did not sell even if you paid them to do so?

Are ebikes uber temperamental? I have read so many service concerns regarding not buying from a bike shop I am starting to wonder if maybe ebikes in general are not all that reliable and if buying one means I am going to spend a ton of time maintaining it.

Both of the bikes have a geared bufang 350 watt hub and I can live with either tire size

Thanks from another nervous nelly

It's often reported that a local bike shop will not work on a Chinese eBike ordered over the internet. I don't know of any that will provide free service on any bike after a warranty period, BUT, you do get a warranty period. Companies that are just reselling Chinese bikes are notorious for dragging their feet on warranty work, and some only offer a 30 day warranty. I didn't see where they mention geared Bafang motors. I'm talking about internal gearing, not the multi speed free wheel on the outside. Temperamental? Just the wiring harness, controller, and display. The rest is like any other bike. Except for repairing a rear tire on a hub motor bike. You have to disconnect the wiring to get the wheel off, and those connectors take some muscle to take apart. I have over 4300 miles on 3 eBikes in 1.5 years. All I've done is keep the clean and lube the chain. One is a cheap bike, the other two high end. I've read a ton of things go wrong with cheap bikes. Magnets getting loose in the motor, controllers fail, displays fail, fuses blow, etc.... One other thing about buying an on-line cheap bike. Likely the bearings on the front axle, pedals, and bottom bearing are dry and over tightened. You'll have to go over the entire bike before the first ride if you want it to have a long life. I did on my cheap bike. The ones purchased at a dealer were ready to ride except for a minor adjustment on the derailleur.

Good points Rich, but using that logic takes juiced bikes cross current air of the list as well. They are made in China, if we consider Harry's inventory position then that's another strike against juiced. (lack of inventory) the only selling the bike online, and no local dealers in my area so no one to fix it after the warranty ends. They say the hub is bufang but who knows what is inside. Lol jk.

Thanks for the insights guys.

Juiced is far beyond the two other vendors you brought up. They have have some well designed bikes built to their specifications. Their website is knowledgeable. The bikes have current technology. If I were given some bucks to spend on a built bike, I'd look at Juiced. Also Rad and Volt-bike. If you buy from one-off sellers, I would expect disappointment down the road when their websites go dark.

If you buy online, then you've made the decision that you don't need much support. How complex is a bicycle? Adjusting disk brakes takes 5 minutes and the procedure is on youtube. Tuning derailleurs takes longer, but one still can learn. What else is there. If you are riding around with crooked handlebars, seats that point to the sky, then loosen and fix.

As for motors/batteries/electronics, we have to hope they work. We replace one or all of these three when there are issues. They really are black boxes and not serviceable.

Lol funny Harry!!! Juiced is now selling online so how does that jive with your buy from a shop position?Rad bike and volt bike the three companies you mentioned have all told me that if there's not a local bike shop selling their product to buy it online and their warranty support would manage would manage warranty repair at a non-dealer bike shop. Also what do you do if you buy a bike from a bike shop and they go out of business with your argument your stuck with the expensive paperweight cuz these bikes are reliable. How is that any different than the scenario you painted with Juiced? From the videos their bikes are being made in China at the same factory as the other two online startup company? I have had several bike shops steer me away from them claiming poor dealer support. People mention parts indefinitely on backorder.

It seems people all have their own biases and the repair argument makes it seem like ebike completely unreliable and in need of constant service.

I've also heard the argument of build your own bike but from the sounds of it these things are so rickety and unreliable that's not a good option either.

In my area I know of three bike shops that will work on anyone bike they will even assemble a bike bought mail order

One has to consider that for many, the purpose of riding an eBike is to go faster for longer distance. Then consider an eBike will weigh at least 15-20 pounds more than a traditional bike. Finally consider that no battery lasts forever. There you have the factors that will call for more service than a traditional bike.

Rich I think you helped me decide, you brought everything into perfect focus . I am going to ride at most. 2 to 6 times a month and maybe a for a 3 to 4 mile ride. Maybe. One long ride every other month of 15 miles. There is a very good chance in 6 months I am done with it all together and I put the thing in the back of the garage and it gets dusty.

I was this close to buying Juiced bike

But I will be the epitome of the Casual Rider in this use case. The idea of spending the suggested 1500 to $2,000 is appalling and I can't believe I was even considering it.

The fact that you guys are promoting overpriced bike shops for every use case is concerning.

Sounds like a collegial club of sorts I'm going to go with the mail order Chinese bike off eBay and will report back quarterly on the bikes reliability and total cost of ownership. It seems I could buy three of the $600 to $700 bikes compared to the $2,000 option that allows me the privilege of walking into the Country Club ahh I mean local bike shop and share a story or two.

Smh

Fred, I'm disappointed that you cast such a negative light on the LBS since you have no experience. I'm surprised that you can have such a broad dislike based solely on the original purchase price. You asked for advice from experienced riders, but discount our advice for an enjoyable experience and then basically criticize our recommendations. I hope you do report back. Heck, with your riding schedule, why bike an ebike at all? You know that half a bike ride is coasting, right?

Hi Fred, I didn't want to see you get screwed. Sparky sure seemed dubious to me, offering an ebike at a ridiculous price. Maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.

I've never had a bike in for service in my life. I've not bought from a bike shop since the early 1990's. We bought two mountain bikes at Dicks 10 years ago. My last three bikes, non-electric were bought online.

My only store-bought ebike was $1300. I think it was a fair deal and a nice bike. My next ebike was a home built, $500 for motor/battery on an old Trek. Since then I have converted another five bikes, most at similar price points. Two were old ones and those last three I bought online. One was a fatbike where I tried out two wheel drive, and two were 20" folder. I enjoy doing it. I'm a retired electrical engineer and former car hobbyist.

My next one will be an old Schwinn my neighbor tossed out because the tire was flat and his kid had grown up and moved out. I've tossed out better bikes too. Regret it now.

I also think that if one is open minded, that the $600 ebikes will be fine for someone willing to tune them and replace components with time.

I've been in the market for an entry-level ebike and I've been watching the forms and searching online visiting local bike dealers.

I have come across two bikes that seem to be the same, just different names.

The Mangnum Mi5
https://www.magnumbikes.com/portfolio-item/magnum-mi5/

And
The Spark
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The specs are the same it warranty the same just one is $700 less (USD)

Is the local bikes shop experience worth the $700?

Thanks

I never heard of Spark bikes. The only big difference I see is the 48v motor one Spark vs a 36v 13ah battery. You'll get better acceleration on the Spark but your range is going to be much shorter than the Magnum. I have a 10.4ah battery and the range isn't that good. I get around 28 miles on a 48v kit and that's running Level 2/5 which puts out about 200 watts. I also have a 36v 13.6 ah geared hub kit and that gives me about 45 miles of range using similar assist.

The hardtail is a different animal entirely. The BBS02 mid drive is going to provide much more power 750w-1000w. If you like to shift, then the gear hub will work better. Shifting on the mid drive takes some technique if you don't want to mash the gears. There are solutions out there but nothing I think is really as good as having assists that don't depend on the chain.

Hi Fred, I didn't want to see you get screwed. Sparky sure seemed dubious to me, offering an ebike at a ridiculous price. Maybe I'm wrong. Hope so.

I just wanted to share that my experience buying from Sparkbikes has been very positive. The company is responsive and legit.

I am happy to say I just received my Sparkbikes "SPARK". I ordered last Wednesday, and was picked up by Purolator that same day, with tracking number. I received the bike at my door in 8 days!

This is a great bike for CAD$1,249 (US$960)! It comes standard with a 48V 10.4Ah battery, 350W Bafang hub motor, and quick-release front wheel. 10 levels of PAS (0-9), with throttle-on-demand at any PAS, including zero. The throttle works from standstill (i.e. no need to pedal to activate). I opted for the 48V 13Ah battery for CAD$150 more.

The bike is very light as well. I weighted it myself. 52.2 lbs with battery! Here is a quick picture of my actual bike:

gIZVeo0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking bike! It's funny when I look at these different pics how often I find myself saying, "That looks just like the ________ bike." More confirmation that different vendors are buying the same frame and changing a few components to fit their targeted market or just to get a piece of the action while it's there. I think it boils down to finding the package to your liking from a reputable vendor that's going to stand behind what they sell.

OP, these 2 bikes are not "the same" or with "same components".
On a brief glance: different battery voltage (could be different controllers as well). Different tires - one is 26", another one 27.5". I'm pretty sure there are other differences as well.
Having said this, - 2 bikes with same level components (not "same bikes", and again, it is not clear that components are same level) - can vary in price that much, yes.

There is such thing as brand and reputation, this costs more and involves better/wider support net and parts availability. Check discount online stores like Upzy, or go to Aliexpress, or Ebay, and you will find a few more bikes "looking" like these two, could be even couple hundred bucks less than Spark. Note that I said "looking", not "the same". Anything can be different, from inferior spokes to nameless controller to poorly welded seams to non-existent support. And there are dozens (hundreds?) bikes in the middle, low priced new companies, they come and go, here today and gone tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back