I want to go (slightly) faster than 28 mph

I would do some calculating before spending money on a faster bike. Are you sure you can shorten your commute by 10 minutes?
How long is your commute? Are there long sections where you can ride a bike over 28mph?
If your commute is e.g. 20 miles and you now average 20mph you would have to average 24mph to gain 10 minutes.
Maybe you commute is longer and then your ”new” average can be a little less than 24mph but it would still mean your top speed really has to go up. (depending on how many miles can be covered at top speed)
Thanks, agree with your thoughts. My commute is 58 miles round-trip, and there is a 4 mile isolated stretch each way that I could go faster than 28mph. Fastest I've done the commute is just under 22mph avg. and that was about 80 minutes. Agree that buying a new faster bike to save 5 - 10 minutes is not a wise financial decision, but I like to know the art of the possible if/when I am in the market again. Hopefully helpful to others as well!

Reactions: PaD
Looks like the Frey CC, will do it and then some, at a good price with full suspension. This could be a commuter's dream bike, especially if they like doing a bit of trail riding on the weekends. Hmm. EBR does not seem to have a forum for Frey.

Looks like the Frey CC, will do it and then some, at a good price with full suspension. This could be a commuter's dream bike, especially if they like doing a bit of trail riding on the weekends. Hmm. EBR does not seem to have a forum for Frey.
Reports so far have been very good. I wonder if their drive is with the upgraded steel gear?

Thanks, agree with your thoughts. My commute is 58 miles round-trip, and there is a 4 mile isolated stretch each way that I could go faster than 28mph. Fastest I've done the commute is just under 22mph avg. and that was about 80 minutes. Agree that buying a new faster bike to save 5 - 10 minutes is not a wise financial decision, but I like to know the art of the possible if/when I am in the market again. Hopefully helpful to others as well!

Have you tuned the motor to highest speed on the OMNI?

On my ST2, I could hold 30mph on long stretches of roads.

Sorry, I was guestimating ti
The OP didn't give enough information.

If you sustain 28mph for 20 minutes, you can cover 9.33 miles. Therefore, we can presume the stretch part of commute is approx 9.33 miles.
(yes, I know realistically, there's no way you can sustain 28mph for whole time, so the stretch part is realistically shorter, but we don't have data for that)

Let's move at 32mph instead of 28mph on the 9.33 mile stretch.
At 32mph, you can cover 9.33 miles in 17.49 minutes (17 min 29 sec)

So by moving 32mph instead of 28mph, you can shave approximately 2 minutes 31 seconds.
This is very far from 10 minute goal.

Maybe you will need faster acceleration and climbing power (if there's a lot of hill?)
Sorry
Have you tuned the motor to highest speed on the OMNI?

On my ST2, I could hold 30mph on long stretches of roads.
Hi Ravi, I think so, highest setting for torque, speed and agility.

29 miles one way is a respectable commute. I would too think about what possibilities there are to reduce time.
A stronger motor could help you stay near the limit for longer periods but I don’t know if that is safe on your commute.
Still always interesting to think about what could be done better.

I think so, highest setting for torque, speed and agility.

I see. If your terrain is not hilly, I would suggest lowering the torque and agility to 70%.
Not sure if it helps the speed but powering a motor to highest torque and speed require two different set of parameters. Perhaps, just focusing on the speed might help (just a speculation)
Also, keeping the battery warm might help. Overall, ST2-S should not have any problem holding 30mph for 4-5 miles. I have done it for several 1000's of miles.

It is not a clean looking bike
The look? Of titanium? :eek:That's really a rather narrow and subjective view. It's really one of ( if not the only) the most well thought out custom builds on the market. Nothing is left out of the build. There's not a single component that isn't known for top performance and reliability. Sorry but "clean" just strikes me as, well, silly. "Clean by many standards seems to mean frame specific batteries and components that lock riders into overpriced proprietary parts. If a bike, IMNSHO, is to be an "automobile" grade it needs to have a level of sustainability. Not, for instance, a battery that carries a several hundred dollar premium. As always, YMMV!

I see. If your terrain is not hilly, I would suggest lowering the torque and agility to 70%.
Not sure if it helps the speed but powering a motor to highest torque and speed require two different set of parameters. Perhaps, just focusing on the speed might help (just a speculation)
Also, keeping the battery warm might help. Overall, ST2-S should not have any problem holding 30mph for 4-5 miles. I have done it for several 1000's of miles.
Thanks Ravi, will give those settings a try.

Yeah, a girl on one of these is downright deadly in the twisties...
The 'liddle' 300.

I'm really only half way kidding. Asker seems prime perfect for a motorbike. Or e-scooter.

ninja-300-right-side-view_600x400.jpg

I would get a honda. Or a bmw. Just sayin'. ;)

I've put about a hundred-thou on two-wheelers with a motor. They can go REALLY fast. :cool:

Yes, lots of miles, me too. The problem is, there comes a time when you realize that you are no longer sharp enough to realize some jack ass is getting ready to make a left in front of you. Happens too often, have lost several friends over the years, and the jack ass is often not even ticketed. End result, one guy dead, the other says oops, and life goes on. Yes, a little bitter on the topic after having sold my last bike, after a lifetime on them.

Now riding e-bikes, and having a blast.

Okay? 🤔 With all the due respect, you have narrow and subjective view as well.

I think you should realize that there is definitely a market for clean ebike. As far as I know, Stromer was one of them that started this trend.
Many ebikes looked like DIY project, me personally, I didn't like the big battery sitting on top of frame. Reention made it more bearable because of half-integrated design.

That said, I acknowledge wattwagon has its own customer base and needs.
On top of that, pushkar seems to provide good customer service and willing to go extra mile to customize the bike.
Although wattwagon isn't my favorite just because of the design (silly or not), I have no problem recommending wattwagon to people because of his business ethics and happy customers.
Also, it's obvious the bike was designed to be robust, not design oriented, I think he was going for reliability and utility, and I can understand why people appreciate that.
Looking at the spec sheet, price isn't bad at all either.

I have seen some documentaries on Honda Super Cub.
It is the most popular bike, or vehicle in the world.
Honda engineers have heavily researched for utility, and that's how they came up. No, it's not the cleanest looking bike/scooter, nor does it have Italian design like Vespa, but it's reliable and robust. That's why it is so popular. Would I personally want it? No, but I can understand why people want it.

I think you should realize you're very opinionated (I guess we all are)
As much as people appreciate the concept of heavy duty wattwagon, there are numbers of people who appreciate the "clean" looking ebikes.

All us old farts always surprise each other. As long as its respectful, it can be fun.

I am also a fan of the clean look (and I am willing to pay for it). I have done my own ebike (TSDZ2 with Luna 52V battery and opensource software, around 750 watts). Thats one of the cleanest kits and it still had more clutter than I would have liked. Luckily that TSDZ2 was just a piece of $%$%$ and I converted that bike back to acoustic. I see many BBS02/BBSHD kits and they are even worse....IMHO.

Perhaps TJ defines clean more along the lines of functional(which is perfectly fine)

I love watching all the stuff Grin Technologies comes out with and would love to do a setup thru them but the amount of clutter/wiring with a BB torque sensor, motor controller and cycle analyst is just not for me.

I have 3 ebikes at the moment (Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ MTB, iZip Moda E3 and Juiced CCX). The Evo and Moda are just such clean designs. The CCX is a little tacky to me but its a raw speed lets me forgive it.

I have been interested in the WattWagon(for performance) but more as a gravel type bike/offroad tourer than a commuter. I "LOVE" Ti bikes. I had a Ti MTB a few years back and could just look at that thing for hours. I wrote pushkar with my list of 'changes' (no lights, charger, fenders, different seatpost/seat, rigid fork and my own 52V battery). I wanted it as clean as possible. Never heard back from him so no sale. Bummer as I could have had a really clean fast bike with all the stuff removed. I cant force him to take my money.

LOVE the new trek Allant although I would go with the Cheaper Aluminum version (8s). It was tempting with the Black Friday Discount but I bought an acoustic Full Suspension MTB on black Friday instead(nice singletrack trails by my house still wont allow eMTBs).

Last edited:
Is that really so important? Once you hit 55 pounds or so it's really not very bike like in terms of weight. If you want to go 32 mph and have a huge battery this isn't a lot heavier than some of the R and Ms with double batteries, panniers and all other types of stuff attached to them.

Have a class 3 ebike which I am satisfied with. But I want to go faster on my commute. I average 20 mph, but occasionally I get tapped out at 28 mph, and am wondering what is available on the market at top speeds in excess of 28 mph so I can average higher than 20 mph. Truth be told, I would probably only average 10 minutes faster to work at higher speeds, but I want the option. The Lunar Apex seems to fit the bill. I don't like the Vintage motor cycle look. I currently have a Stromer. Thanks!

There's going to come a point where big govt is going to step in and regulate all of us class 1 ebikers for the wants and needs of a small group who want to go motorcycle fast on a bicycle. And I'm not cool with that; I just want to be left alone to pedal along on my off road ebike with as little intrusion by big brother as possible. It's been bad enough for the ebike advocacy groups to win the rights to have an ebike pedal along in places any analog bicycle is allowed. It's taken several years by alot of pro-ebikers to win those battles. Keep pushing the envelope and there will be plenty of anti-ebiking people out there who will push for legislation to require licensing, insurance, etc on anyone owning an ebike. And everybody knows once big govt get's it's paws on a cause, we will lose, no doubt in my mind at all.

Not to be flippant about the OP nor argumentive towards anyone (I do like the idea myself of taking my yamaha drive and installing a speed tune on it to experience life at over 20 mph on occasion), but with your current bike at say 25 mph, figure if you leave home 10 minutes earlier, you would have arrived at work the same time as you would on the more expensive, ultra high speed ebike! And you'd save a bunch of dollars to boot.

Other then that, a Honda Rebel, a Yamaha V-Star 250 or Kawasaki Ninja 300 will get you over 30mph and beyond at a minimal cost to fuel and insurance. And the required safety and riding gear required of a motorcycle will be more protecting then tooling along at 30 mph on an ebike with the most minimum of bicycle clothing and protective gear.

Apologies in advance for this is not the answer the OP wanted to hear. But for the long term health of our little ebiking hobby, 30 mph on public roads, alongside analogers, pedestrians and the like, it's just not the safe and smart thing to do!

Back