I never saw this before.

gkgeiger

We went to our local bike trail today and they had signs with 15 mph speed limit posted on the trail. I've been riding there for years and never saw them before. Must be for us E-bike folks.

We've had them for years in Nashville, i.e.: not aimed at ebikes -- although if they're new where you are they may have been inspired by ebikes.

I like the idea of speed limits much better than restricting ebikes by class. Who cares how fast a bike can go or whether it has a throttle? Nobody else on the trail, as long as no one is going over the speed limit.

TT

Last edited:
Same here. I think about two days after I started riding on local trails on my new Rad Rover they put signs up at all entrances that said no class 2&3 E bikes 20MPH. My solution was to unplug my throttle before riding them which basically turned my class 2 into a class 1. Thus far I've not run into anyone in authority to question it.

I wouldn't mind if our trails did this. I often get startled by someone in the spandex crowd whizzing by me at 25+ miles per hour on their non electric road bike without announcing. This problem is getting worse with the recent increase in traffic on the multi-use trails with a lot of walkers, skaters, small kids on learning bikes, etc. I almost never get passed by another ebike, but I get passed frequently by the speedsters on road bikes. Sometimes they seem to have the attitude that the multiuse trails belong to them. My typical riding speed is 12 to 15 MPH, although I sometimes get up to 18 or 20 on the downhill stretches. I wouldn't object though if I was limited to 15.

We went to our local bike trail today and they had signs with 15 mph speed limit posted on the trail. I've been riding there for years and never saw them before. Must be for us E-bike folks.

The local rangers in my area of Northern California have now taken to the trails with Radar Guns to monitor speeds.
I don't mind as I usually spot them and other riders have an unwritten code to share the speed traps with fellow riders.

What bothers me more is that many legal bike and equestrian trails have now been banned due to the great increase in bi-peds from the Pandemic.
My fear is that this temporary ban will be made permanent by some local bureaucrat who has never ridden a bike or horse in his life... good grief. ;)

I wouldn't mind if our trails did this. I often get startled by someone in the spandex crowd whizzing by me at 25+ miles per hour on their non electric road bike without announcing. This problem is getting worse with the recent increase in traffic on the multi-use trails with a lot of walkers, skaters, small kids on learning bikes, etc. I almost never get passed by another ebike, but I get passed frequently by the speedsters on road bikes. Sometimes they seem to have the attitude that the multiuse trails belong to them. My typical riding speed is 12 to 15 MPH, although I sometimes get up to 18 or 20 on the downhill stretches. I wouldn't object though if I was limited to 15.
I also like to travel at 12-15 mph. Another problem we see on our multi-use trail is walkers with earbuds walking in the middle or on the wrong side. We also see groups of walkers taking up the entire width. When we pass with a “on your left” we sometimes get a dirty look.

Our closest major bike trail is California's Sacramento American River trail and its many connectors. It has had a posted 15mph speed limit for several decades though road bike clubs and some ebikers exceed this limit. It is sporadically patrolled by rangers on bicycles. I've never seen one issue a ticket. They usually deal with homeless campers...😖

Speed limits make a lot more sense than class limits. Prohibiting bikes with throttles is just another instance of bureaucratic ignorance. The few MUP's I have ridden that had speed limits were in high traffic areas. The few trails I have ridden that allowed equestrian riders simply weren't conducive to riding more than 15 mph due to soft sand, holes, tree roots, etc. Therefore, no speed limit signs were necessary.

I don't think not having speed limit is the problem.

It's all about attitude..
Ebikes or not, there are enough idiots out there who would just try to pass other people dangerously.
Spendex warriors on roadbikes are among one of them.

15 mph way too slow for a trail where there's no other trail users.

On the other hand, I would not feel comfortable riding through walkers, joggers and other trail users at 15mph.
Sometimes I slow down to 5mph.

We all have encountered kids riding on trail @ 5mph, swerving sideways.
Would you go through them at 15mph? or slow down to 5mph and wait til it's safe to pass.
There's a blind corner ahead of you too.

Kids go to school by bike stock photo 64ff92b0-9ce9-4e97-845b ...

And now you see this straight line, where you can have a clear view, there is nobody around, pretty safe to go 28mph.
But the speed limit is 15mph, that's way too slow.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It doesn't make sense. It's all about the situation. Instead of setting a speed limit, they should be promoting sharing the trail and be respectful and courteous to other users.

Sometimes, bike trails can be packed with walkers and joggers too, and obviously people with reasonable sense of courtesy would slow down, probably down to 5mph or so.

Off the City Sidewalks | Runner's World's World

While I agree with most of what you say, speed is a relative thing. 15 mph may seem slow to some but not all.

Sure, we are all annoyed by walkers & joggers hogging the trail irresponsibly but they have every right to be there. They outnumber us by a substantial margin and they are the ones who complain to regulators about bikers.

Keep in mind that it is in our best interest not to pi** them off! Pass very slowly or even walk your bike through a crowd. Be courteous by saying "excuse me" and "thank you". Don't just yell "ON YOUR LEFT". I've found through experience that a soft bell rather than a loud horn works best.

Yes, it's sometimes a bitter pill to swallow but until they create "bike only trails", pedestrians are something we all must deal with. It's important that we realize the way this is managed will have an effect on future regulation.

Keep in mind that it is in our best interest not to pi** them off! Pass very slowly or even walk your bike through a crowd. Be courteous by saying "excuse me" and "thank you". Don't just yell "ON YOUR LEFT". I've found through experience that a soft bell rather than a loud horn works best.
I am very respectful of others on the trail. When I say "on your left" when approaching I also say "thank you" when passing. We all have equal rights.

If I want to go fast, and often I do, I stay off mixed us trails and keep to the roads regardless of what class bike you have. In this covid 19 era I avoid the mixed use trails all together. They are way too crowded right now to be any fun at all. Trying to get pedestrians to be more alert, aware of their surroundings and courteous to bikes, what with ear buds, texting and keeping track of the kids and dog, is a fool's errand. It is not going to happen and your ride will just be an exercise in frustration. If you have to go on a trail accept going slow and getting by folks at a crawl. Riding at even 15mph with so many unaware people will aggravate people and yourself and hurt access for all of us.

Alaskan,
I agree with what you say, except I don't ride roads at all. We are very lucky to have an 87 mile bike and hike trail near us. It's the Ohio & Erie Canal Tow Path. We can also drive up to an hour to several other trails. There are certain sections on the Tow Path that are typically very crowded, usually close to certain attractions, like bars and restaurants or trail heads. I can usually find an area that isn't too bad. Yesterday we rode 20 miles and had a good time.
GG

Alaskan,
I agree with what you say, except I don't ride roads at all. We are very lucky to have an 87 mile bike and hike trail near us. It's the Ohio & Erie Canal Tow Path. We can also drive up to an hour to several other trails. There are certain sections on the Tow Path that are typically very crowded, usually close to certain attractions, like bars and restaurants or trail heads. I can usually find an area that isn't too bad. Yesterday we rode 20 miles and had a good time.
GG
I love that trail! On two separate trips we've ridden it in two sections from Pittsburg to just outside DC.

We have shorter trails of this quality here on the West coast but I still like the extra mileage of running errands and such by riding out from the house. Ebikes have let us do this in our very hilly little town doubling our average cycling miles per month.

Ride on.

I actually prefer the roads where I live on the coast of Maine. I can run errands around the peninsula on my bike and there is also a one way section of Acadia National Park about 8 miles long which is a nice ride with the rocky shores of the north Atlantic on my right the whole way. There is also a series of trails in the park designed for hiking and biking as well as skiing in the winter. So far they have been nearly deserted but I still prefer the roads for the view.

I love that trail! On two separate trips we've ridden it in two sections from Pittsburg to just outside DC.

We have shorter trails of this quality here on the West coast but I still like the extra mileage of running errands and such by riding out from the house. Ebikes have let us do this in our very hilly little town doubling our average cycling miles per month.

Ride on.
Different trail, this one runs from Cleveland to Midvale Ohio along the Erie Canal.

Would that we had dedicated bikeways in the USA.

Although, to be fair, a lot of the rail trails in Washington state are for all practical purposes dedicated bikeways when you are more than a few miles from a popular trailhead.

I think a system like Oregon's Scenic Bikeways has a lot of promise, as it integrates bike-friendly road riding (lightly traveled, good sight lines) with some rail trails.

Back