I hit a horse

No judgement intended, but does US law really put fault on animal owners when vehicles hit them?

I live in a rural area in victoria, Australia - lots of black dairy cows that decide the grass is greener, which can be VERY scary at 2 am. Most of the farmers put " give way to stock" signs up, which essentially put responsibility on drivers to avoid the cows. Unless we can prove negligence , we usually end up paying the farmer for the animal.
Some years back my calves (Black Angus) got loose after a tree fell on my good fence. I contacted Animal Control and got 9 of the ten back. Despite two days of trying I failed in getting the last one back and it was hit at midnight. Under Virginia law since I had solid fencing and reported the problem I was not at fault But rather the driver. I did feel sorry for the guy’s car until…the police asked me about the guy’s condition that night (I never saw him), and why He had his children knocking on doors at 1 am. He was driving, apparently, on a suspended license (for DUI).

I posted these pictures a few days back on the “rides “ post. I believe this was done in a day. There is a very small town near this barn that is called Fandon, less than a 1/4 mile away that has an Amish lumber yard. I wonder if all the lumber was precut there. I rode my bike by at noon, the first picture and in the morning the next day, second picture. It’s nut a huge barn but still impressive.
15B24117-4E37-44D8-8416-C25446B554C8.jpeg
6E8BF343-2564-4705-8188-B9E756A83977.jpeg

I posted these pictures a few days back on the “rides “ post. I believe this was done in a day. There is a very small town near this barn that is called Fandon, less than a 1/4 mile away that has an Amish lumber yard. I wonder if all the lumber was precut there. I rode my bike by at noon, the first picture and in the morning the next day, second picture. It’s nut a huge barn but still impressive.
View attachment 140210View attachment 140211
I've been in a few barns like that one. One that was built over the summer, it's huge and yes, chances are that one was made from the lumber yard you mention. They build a lot of their homes and barns form locally sourced lumber, from mills run by Amish. There's a bunch of mills like that in this area, but they're kind of hidden away.

This is a new Amish dairy farm. Everything in the picture was built from the Fall of '21 to Spring of '22. The farm is less than 2 miles from my house, I drive by two times a day. It was just a field prior to 2021.

Resized_20211117_145725.jpeg

The original farmhouse was a small brick colonial house to the left of this vantage point. Too small and too old. To the right of the new house is a long cattle barn that has been repurposed to store equipment and dry tobacco.

This structure is Amish built in town for a business. Hard to judge scale, but its massive. Built over last winter as well.

Resized_20211123_154910(1).jpeg

20211123_154942.jpg

I spent a good bit of time with the Amish family that owned the horse yesterday. Had a chance to ask about the settlement, but didn't want it to sound like I was rushing or being pushy. He said the committee that handles it agreed but it'll still take a week before they'll get a check out. Since they all drive buggies to meetings and they're all over the place, it takes a bit for them to schedule and get together for meetings. That's just the nature of working with the Amish community, you have to have patience.

It doesn't bother me but I wanted to give the guy that's selling me the truck an update, I didn't want to leave him hanging. He did give it a second thought and told me that he's taking his tobacco out on tuesday and if he makes enough selling it, then he'll just write me a personal check to cover it, and then reimburse himself from the committee check.

We did get our other vehicle out of the shop earlier in the week so at least we have one to get us around.

Tobacco might be buying my truck. :)
We're either going to name the truck Molly or Lucky Strike.

Wait a sec 😳. You guys grow tobacco too?
Cigars is what I'm thinking of with gold bands.
This year I saw lots of fields of tobacco. I'm not sure about how good the harvest was though compared to last year. Everyone said last year's harvest was amazing. A barn I was in yesterday had thousands of plants hanging to dry, they'll probably be going to be sold in another couple of weeks.

Don't know anything about cigars, but the amish that do smoke roll their own.

The owner called me and said he had my check ready. Myself, #3 and #4 went over to see him. We got to see the horses that were out that night. Huge animals, just huge. He had 7 of them, but only 6 were out running. Here's the injury of the third one I hit.
SRSRC5.jpg

That one was hit by the right fender, and where that cut is right in line with where the hood curled up. The Suburban did a slight swerve to the right after the impact of the second, I don't believe I steered that way, but I might have. When he got them home that morning he put some anti-septic on it. He said it looked like it bled for a little bit, but not bad, they must have some tough skin, probably something like horse hide.

We brought more brownies for them, only 3 of the 7 kids were home, the youngest, the rest were in school. The little ones dug into the brownies right away. We talked for a while and he gave me the check and talked some more. I told them that just because they gave me a check that doesn't mean our friendship ends here, their faces just lit up, and I think they were very surprised. The Amish are kind of jaded when it comes to dealing with the "english" mostly because of what they see in the tourists that come here. They do make friends with their neighbors, coworkers and drivers, but meeting strangers they more cautious.

I told them again that if they needed to go somewhere they can give me a call. They immediately took me up on it, because he had some places he needed to run to today. I was happy to do it as I had the time and the total run was less than 16 miles. He paid me for it, which is nice. The amish don't expect favors and are happy to pay. He gave us a quart of maple syrup that his sister makes and ships to them in 5 gallon buckets, which his wife then cans into quart jars. Looks really good too.

We were able to deposit the check and should be able to buy the truck next week.

I thought of you as I rode by Morgans in a field the other day but soon shifted my attention to the three deer running along the fence who soon jumped over…the leader going in front of me and the other two behind. On my last mile to home I spotted a brilliant white patch near the road. It was a bald eagle feeding on a deer carcass. I stopped and watched it flap slowly away over the brown soybeans. I had spotted the vultures circling and now know why. Eagles are rare around here though live along the James river…a short commute I guess for wings that size

I thought of you as I rode by Morgans in a field the other day but soon shifted my attention to the three deer running along the fence who soon jumped over…the leader going in front of me and the other two behind. On my last mile to home I spotted a brilliant white patch near the road. It was a bald eagle feeding on a deer carcass. I stopped and watched it flap slowly away over the brown soybeans. I had spotted the vultures circling and now know why. Eagles are rare around here though live along the James river…a short commute I guess for wings that size
Over the summer we watched two eagles steal a carcass from two rather dejected vultures. One took the carcass about 100yards away and started eating it while the other stayed back for a bit and harassed the vultures. It eventually joined it's mate.

I just got word that Subzilla has kind of made it home. A friend of mine runs a parts business. Taking in older cars with lots of good parts on them and then sells the parts. Since I canceled the insurance claim on it, she's still mine, but she was sitting in a lot in Harrisburg. He made arrangements to go get her and bring her back. They didn't even charge him storage, but that's probably because he knows the people that run the lot

May her parts go to keeping more Suburbans on the road.

I took the kids up to my friend's shop to take a look at it today. I was quite surprised to see the Bio-Hazard sticker on it.
2s7EKc.jpg

Those stickers are applied when there's bodily fluids, blood and such inside a wreck. Apparently they mistook a chocolate milk stain in the carpet for blood or something. I wasn't hurt, there wasn't any blood that night.

Better shot of the left fender that crumpled and pushed into the driver's door. That's why I couldn't get out right away.
lyBZug.jpg

Remains of the driver's side mirror. You can just see a bit of hair stuck in it. That was sheared off by the first horse to my left. The owner looked at all the horses and saw no other injuries.
49JdTO.jpg

Passenger side mirror which we think caused at least one of the injuries to the third horse. You can see the hair stuck to it.
5EUCxZ.jpg

We took a few other things from it that we didn't get the other day. It's going to be there for a few more days while they get all the useful parts off. Now I have a pile of brand new parts that were going to go on it that I need to sell.

Just realized that I never posted a picture of the new truck. A 2010 Sierra 1500 4x4 with when I got her less than 91K. Standard cab, full length bed with a cap. I've replaced all the latches on the glass of the cap so that it can be locked. I have a locking tail gate latch ready to install and a new stereo since the one that's in there is having issues. I don't buy used cars expecting them to be perfect so I'm not disappointed when I find issues. The running boards will be removed and replaced with correct ones eventually, since the passenger side is all banged up.

We like her and named her Mollie. I have a plan for building a rack to hold my bike in the bed, but I can't do it upright. Even if I take the mirrors off, it's still too tall.

2QMzL1.jpg

Just a follow up about the family. We were over before Christmas to drop off cookies. The daughter saw us pull in the lane and ran out to give us a big hello. Went inside and the father was asleep in a rocking chair with his youngest. Both were napping. We hung out and talked, the daughter ran off and came back a few minutes later with a hand written invitation to their school Christmas program. We told her we'd try to make it. Which we did.

Had a great time even being the only "English" in the school, but there were no strange looks from anyone, just smiles and waves. His daughter and two boys that go to the school were very excited to see us. Space was made for us on a bench and we made sure to sit according to their custom, which is no strange women sitting beside strange men. Which my daughter forgot when she plopped down between me and the guy next to me. Nothing was said and there weren't any disapproving looks, he just scooched over a little bit.

The program was interesting, little skits about important life lessons, like dealing with conflict between neighbors, parents and siblings. Some comedy skits where the punchline was in dutch so we didn't get the jokes, but most of the program was in english.

A couple weeks later I stopped by for something and asked him if he'd like an arial survey of his farm. Told him I have a drone that I could fly around and he could get a good view of his land, but I need to learn to fly it first. He caught on quickly, smiled and said "oh, so you need a place to learn to fly it." He gave me permission to come over whenever and take the lane out to the "goat path" where it's open with no trees and fly it. I can't fly it near my place because I'm too close to an airport.

My drone, a DJI FPV that I picked up used off of CL last year and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. It's in perfect condition, never crashed. I just got done updating the firmware on all three devices today. Hopefully I can get it out soon.

rvtOLA.jpg

Just realized that I never posted a picture of the new truck. A 2010 Sierra 1500 4x4 with when I got her less than 91K. Standard cab, full length bed with a cap. I've replaced all the latches on the glass of the cap so that it can be locked. I have a locking tail gate latch ready to install and a new stereo since the one that's in there is having issues. I don't buy used cars expecting them to be perfect so I'm not disappointed when I find issues. The running boards will be removed and replaced with correct ones eventually, since the passenger side is all banged up.

We like her and named her Mollie. I have a plan for building a rack to hold my bike in the bed, but I can't do it upright. Even if I take the mirrors off, it's still too tall.

2QMzL1.jpg
Mollie looks to be in good shape. How's the underside, though, as far as rust?

Mollie looks to be in good shape. How's the underside, though, as far as rust?
It's got rust, it's a NE vehicle, but it isn't terrible. I bought it from the guy's mother, it was his dad's go into town and get coffee vehicle. Literally the little old lady from buffalo only drove it to church on sundays truck. He's a professional mechanic and did all the maintenance on it and I trust him when he says it has no major issues. The only thing I need to get fixed is replace the fuel filter, it's a little rough starting when it's very cold.

Back