HyperFat Rear Hydraulic brakes failed? (suggestions?)

Tronic Jon

My rear Hydraulic Disc Brakes stopped working. I recorded a video. What happened and what actions can I take to get functional again?

I opened a support ticket but thought I'd post here as well.

If you are seeing fluid there could be a loose ferrule at the lever causing air to enter the system. Find the leak and bleed the system. Your local bike shop should be able to fix it or plenty of you tube videos if you are feeling handy.

Response:

"New reply for the ticket #SU000XXXXX

The brakes are standard on several bikes so also feel free to visit a local trusted bike shop to have them maintained

A loss of oil can happen due to the following
1- hose disconnected
2-hose damaged
3-brake pads wear down too much and piston on caliper came out a bit too much
4-Piston on caliper got dislodged due to a bump
5-air in the system

Here is a quick video on how to do the maintenance, and it shows the basic principles of the working mechanism

Please let us know a bit more detail into what you find from the inspection and we will be here to help with more guidance

Thank you for your time"

I replied with:

" I had the bike professionally inspected and the conclusion is it’s defective. Is the part itself at least covered under warranty? "

Response:

"All mechanical parts are covered under warranty by any manufacturing defect. We can review the defective item, but its better if we get a bit more info into which component of the brake system is defective. Would you please share the report the bike shop gave you? This way we can zoom into the issue and prepare for sending the parts to repair."

I replied with:

"Hello, here is extra detail from a certified bike mechanic that did a professional inspection.. See attached word document.
Standing by,"

Word Document Text:

"To:
Juiced Bikes
1085 Bay Blvd, Suite B
Chula Vista, CA 91911

XXXX XXXXX
Giant Bicycles USA
To whom it may concern,
My name is XXXX XXXXX; I have been a professional bike mechanic for 22
years. I have worked in 7 shops in 3 states and for 4 manufacturers. I
currently work for Giant USA. I am a Shimano
Certified mechanic as well as Certified Bosch mechanic.
I inspected the rear brake on Jon XXXXXX’s Juiced ebike. I first tested the
brake; it was soft at the lever. The lever was not moving the pistons in the
caliper, and the bike had no stopping power. I found oil leaking out of the
reservoir at the lever. This indicates a broke seal in the lever. I believe the
lever will need to be replaced.
Thank you,
XXXX XXXXX"

No response again yet, really want to start bike riding now that it' s nice. Too dangerous to only trust one brake.

No response again yet, really want to start bike riding now that it' s nice. Too dangerous to only trust one brake.
What an enormous frustration due to an easily solved issue.

Juiced should send Tronic Jon a replacement lever/line/caliper pre-bled assembly, ready to bolt on.

The threaded ferrule that contains the magnetic reed switch of the motor cutoff is an adjuster, too. The depth of ferrule insertion into the handle body determines how sensitive the motor cutoff is to first movement of the lever.

Because the ferrule is an adjuster Tektro uses a tiny set screw to bear against the ferrule threads to keep the ferrule from self-turning and losing adjustment.

Loosen the tiny set screw before trying to remove the motor inhibitor magnetic reed switch ferrule from the lever to avoid breaking something, like a reservoir cover. Like I did.

Last edited:
Thanks, no response from Juiced yet as of today. I just forwarded my happyfox ticket system email to the juiced support email asking for a followup.

@Tronic Jon

Jon, when you follow up, what mechanism are you using? i.e. Phone / email / chat / ???

Are you using the initial ticket # in all communications including the letters at the front?
(I have seen numbers like JB######## or SHIP######)

I hope you hear back from them soon.

If they do resolve please let us know :)

Good luck!

I wanted to follow up I received a response a while back (forgot to update this thread) I sent in the bad break and received a complete new replacement a few days ago. I'm going to try and install in this week.
Remember to loosen the nearly hidden set screw that locks in the motor inhibitor reed switch. It takes a small Allen wrench.

Back