Hydra in (semi)gloss black (Cerakote H109)

TDA78

Region
Canada
City
Hamilton
Looks like Hydras are getting some new livery by default!
IMG_20211022_145551.jpg

It seems I got some free upgrades. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about components to appreciate them. I certainly noticed way more power than I ordered. Too bad the system shut down while I was blasting up a 300 foot ridge climb in sport 5. State of charge was 70%.
IMG_20211022_152300.jpg

My goal with the color was to match the motor finish as closely as possible.
IMG_20211022_145617.jpg

Delivery was by freight carriers that don't seem to handle cargo carefully either. Luckily the bike only has a couple scuffs and I was able to readjust the derailleur.
IMG_20211021_134953.jpg

The dropper was not installed, probably to protect the carbon fibre seat rails during shipping. The front brake is soft. Could air get down the line with not being upright during shipping?

The display doesn't stand out so much when you adjust it flush to the stem. I have a 500c to install if I decide to give up eco mode.
IMG_20211022_145707.jpg

It's a blast to ride! The legal assisted speed is only 20 mph in Canada and I'm constantly and effortlessly blowing past that. I do wish power cut off faster when I stop pedaling. It's instant when I hit the brake. Shift timing will take some getting used to. I also wish there was a PAS level 0.5. Looks like I'll have to dive into the X1 programming sooner than I expected.

Once I get used to the shifting, I'll take it on some more challenging trails!

Your bike looks very nice. 👍
My new UC Pro is on it's way to my house on Vancouver Island. Let me know how the tuning goes, as I'll probably also have to tune mine. Unfortunately, I only have Apple products, so I plan on buying a cheap android computer during the upcoming Black Friday sale.
How much did our wonderful federal government ding you on duty?

A few things I'm looking for like chain ring guard, livery don't want it on mine, someone said it's only a sticker.

Skeptical on the system shut down. Have you asked teamww what could cause it?
The livery are vinyl decals. Warm them with a hair dryer and they'll easily peel off.

I haven't enquired about the shutdown. I'm not supposed to have 2300W anyway, so it doesn't seem right to ask.

TDA78, your bottle cage was it in included too?
Is it carbon fiber?

No more questions after this, I will let you have your quality time with your Hydra.
No, I ordered the bottle holder back in May when I thought delivery was getting close. It's polycarbonate (lexan). I got it from Amazon Canada but can't find the exact same model on Amazon US.

No worries, it's dark here now and my Hydra doesn't have a headlight.

Last edited:
You will definitely want to get into the program and customize to your liking. That’s one of the really nice things about these bikes, they are totally customizable Once you get the hang of it it’s very easy. The amount of time it runs after you stop petaling I believe can also be limited.

Nice looking bike. I'm curious what your experience is with the engine cutting out. I have had the system completely shut down and stop providing power but remain on, in which case power resumes after I stop applying power temporarily. I was out today and it happened a few times. It was not particularly warm and it happens after riding on level 2 for a while and then upping to 3 or 4 and pushing it for a little bit (a minute or two not a long time).

I'll bet. Glad it was box issues and far less bike issues.

You'll get that tuned to your liking and it will be a phenomenal bike.

Nice looking bike. I'm curious what your experience is with the engine cutting out. I have had the system completely shut down and stop providing power but remain on, in which case power resumes after I stop applying power temporarily. I was out today and it happened a few times. It was not particularly warm and it happens after riding on level 2 for a while and then upping to 3 or 4 and pushing it for a little bit (a minute or two not a long time).
It was a cool day, I had been riding on level ground at PAS 2 or 3 at 20 mph. Then I bumped it up to PAS 5 and went hard up a very steep hill for about 30 seconds. I hit about 30 mph and the display shut off. I turned and went back down the hill. It was about 10 seconds before I could turn the display on and climb the hill at a slower speed. This was at 70% charge, I repeated it later at 50% charge. It seems like a voltage sag shutdown. I'll have to watch the battery voltage on my next attempt.

Interesting, Brose on my current bike does the same thing. When tourqe is applied, pedal stroke, the bike is propelled 3 meters or so varying on gear selected. I find it beneficial going over obstacles, I'm never in an awkward positions putting down ward stroke on the crank arms.

I would have to experience it myself on a 2300W motor
It's a hard gear shift if you don't wait long enough for the motor to stop. I can hear it stop at low speeds but can't hear it over the wind at high speeds.

It's called 'break in' period. Eventually you will figure out which gear is suitable for each terrain.

The System Shutdown. You are the first that reported it. Then J10001
You two as far as I know are the newest owners of the Hydra.
Yeah, I will adapt. I just don't want to! 😄

@Acme described a similar shutdown here. I'm naturally a high cadence rider, so I didn't think I was lugging the motor.

@J10001 sounds like he's having a different problem as his display doesn't turn off.

TDA78, if you stop pedalling in the lower power levels does the power cut off quickly, or does the power seem to go on longer than it should, or is this just a problem with the higher power levels?

I think what is happening is you are simply over loading the battery. When it begins to draw too many amps the BMS will shut down. Pushkar‘s settings are very high for climbing hills. On a steep hill I personally never go above echo 3 and keep the RPM high. Echo 3bis already pulling more than 2000 W with a heavy pedal stroke. At slow speeds in third or fourth gear it’s difficult to keep the front wheel on the ground. look at your display and if it is all the way to the top and never bounces back down you are definitely pulling more than 2000 W which is all the BMS will allow the battery to discharge so it can protect the cells. The motor could take a bit more without heating up if you had a double battery or a special BMS but your range would be like 5 miles or less. You just have to learn the bikes limitations.

TDA78, if you stop pedalling in the lower power levels does the power cut off quickly, or does the power seem to go on longer than it should, or is this just a problem with the higher power levels?
The power goes on after stopping pedalling for half a second in all PAS levels and power output levels. If I stop pedalling and tap the break cutoff too quickly, the power kicks back on briefly. The brake cutoff doesn't cancel the PAS overrun.

Anyway, I found the ideal way to shift is when my cadence is so high that the power fades out. I must be spinning at 120 rpm, though. I'm thinking of getting shorter cranks to keep my cadence up.

I think what is happening is you are simply over loading the battery. When it begins to draw too many amps the BMS will shut down. Pushkar‘s settings are very high for climbing hills. On a steep hill I personally never go above echo 3 and keep the RPM high. Echo 3bis already pulling more than 2000 W with a heavy pedal stroke. At slow speeds in third or fourth gear it’s difficult to keep the front wheel on the ground. look at your display and if it is all the way to the top and never bounces back down you are definitely pulling more than 2000 W which is all the BMS will allow the battery to discharge so it can protect the cells. The motor could take a bit more without heating up if you had a double battery or a special BMS but your range would be like 5 miles or less. You just have to learn the bikes limitations.
I couldn't replicate the problem on a 100% charge today. The battery was dipping down to 46V which is definitely cutoff territory. The smallest three sprockets started skipping at 30 mph uphill and a fast cadence. I can't get the chain to wrap around the smaller sprockets anymore any farther without the derailleur interfering with the largest sprocket. I don't believe this should be sold as a 2300W bike without caveats. I will be tuning it to 1000W as I should have received and be very happy.

Last edited:
Back