Hub motors

After reading some other posts I hope I did not error in getting the bbs02 vs the bbshd. I figured since it would be limited use and with no hills to climb

I'm pretty sure you will be happy. The pricing in DIY, right now, totally sucks. Bafang makes all the mid-drives. It is 95% of the DIY market in the US. People thought the BBS02 would disappear and there would only be the one choice. But the price is really too high on the 02, relative to the HD, so people go a little nuts about the 02. I think the 02 should be about $360. When you add up everything it takes to build the HD, it's driving some people out of that market. Think of the 02 as a solid motor that you had to pay a bit much for.

I'm pretty sure you will be happy. The pricing in DIY, right now, totally sucks. Bafang makes all the mid-drives. It is 95% of the DIY market in the US. People thought the BBS02 would disappear and there would only be the one choice. But the price is really too high on the 02, relative to the HD, so people go a little nuts about the 02. I think the 02 should be about $360. When you add up everything it takes to build the HD, it's driving some people out of that market. Think of the 02 as a solid motor that you had to pay a bit much for.
The price was $499 not cheap but compared to the mac geared hub it was a better price. The batteries are a killer as well. I have had several scooters (2 stroke, 49cc) and I was tempted to get another one but they are noisey and smell. Modified with a larger cylinder and piston I could get up to about 40mph which was plenty fast, in fact a little too fast for my liking. Hard to find the 2 strokes anymore everything is 4 stroke. Thanks for your comments.
John

The price was $499 not cheap but compared to the mac geared hub it was a better price. The batteries are a killer as well. I have had several scooters (2 stroke, 49cc) and I was tempted to get another one but they are noisey and smell. Modified with a larger cylinder and piston I could get up to about 40mph which was plenty fast, in fact a little too fast for my liking. Hard to find the 2 strokes anymore everything is 4 stroke. Thanks for your comments.
John

I had the same thoughts John about a scooter. Even a nice Yamaha Zuma could be had for 1000 - 1500. But then I wanted to be able to ride off road trails as well as regular bike paths. No can do with a scooter. I'm in the process of building my Giant Yukon with the Luna Cycle hhshd with 48 volt dolphin battery. Can't wait to see how she does. I'm sure it's over kill but I've got some local hills I need to deal with. Good Luck !!

Should I just use a self tapping screw?

The tubing wall is too thin to accept a thread without reinforcement. The best method is to install a water bottle boss. Should be brazed or silver soldered or Rivnut. Probably a job for local bike shop.

Court J.

I had the same thoughts John about a scooter. Even a nice Yamaha Zuma could be had for 1000 - 1500. But then I wanted to be able to ride off road trails as well as regular bike paths. No can do with a scooter. I'm in the process of building my Giant Yukon with the Luna Cycle hhshd with 48 volt dolphin battery. Can't wait to see how she does. I'm sure it's over kill but I've got some local hills I need to deal with. Good Luck !!
I actually had a Zuma which is the one that that I put the bigger cylinder on. It was a heavy scooter but with the modified 2 stroke and the modified clutch it would do almost 40mph. It was fun, wish I had kept it.

The tubing wall is too thin to accept a thread without reinforcement. The best method is to install a water bottle boss. Should be brazed or silver soldered or Rivnut. Probably a job for local bike shop.

Court J.
My local bike guy who is someone we should all love (junky shop and loves to restore old bikes) said he could put in a rivnut but he hates to drill into aluminum frames. The other problem is that the area that the rivnut would need to go into is so tight that a conventional drill is not going to work unless the hole is at an angle. He didn't have at right angle drill, nor do I. I will probably just use some velcro for now (ugly) and think about a better solution. If I can find someone with the right angle drill I may give the rivnut a shot but even that on thinwall tubing could be an issue.

I agree with your bike guy. Don't drill it. Might weaken an aluminum frame.

You can attach a hose clamp to the bottom of the battery cradle. I pinched it so it would go into the skot, and used a small sheet metal screw from the other side to hold.
R8310449.jpg

If you have a Dolphin style, there's room for a traditional u-clamp on the metal end. Mix these techniques or a new one of your own with any bottle bracket hole that fits.
clamper-1.jpg

I was hoping to avoid any clamps but maybe I can't. Once I get it hooked up this morning and can be sure the battery is good I may look at how I can modify the bracket to match one of the existing bosses. If not I may go the rivnut route. I can't imagine one more hole will hurt the integrity of the bike. The minute that I put a motor on it I lost the warranty.

If it's aluminum, I wouldn't drill. That is the part of the frame that needs to resist any flex, which will cause a crack and failure. Intuitively, seems to me a hole weakens the frame, especially if it's trying to hold down 7 pounds of battery., but what do I know. Maybe we do-it yourselfers can get away with it.

I saw an online pic recently where a re-seller drilled a bigger hole to run wires thru the frame, and it cracked.

And you can paint those hose clamps, cut off the excess strap, and it's invisible.

If it's aluminum, I wouldn't drill. That is the part of the frame that needs to resist any flex, which will cause a crack and failure. Intuitively, seems to me a hole weakens the frame, especially if it's trying to hold down 7 pounds of battery., but what do I know. Maybe we do-it yourselfers can get away with it.

I saw an online pic recently where a re-seller drilled a bigger hole to run wires thru the frame, and it cracked.

And you can paint those hose clamps, cut off the excess strap, and it's invisible.
Not drilling the frame on an aluminum bike frame seems to be the consensus. Thanks.

modify the bracket to match one of the existing bosses

I think there are a couple of shark packs now. With mine, I think I could drill a hole somewhere on the mount to match a screw on the frame of the bike. There are four screws that cover an area where some kind of controller could go, but I don't think that space is used.

I don't really trust my shark pack, so I use a couple of mini-bungees, but they would not be secure by themselves.

I think there will be battery Zuma type scooters in a few years, with batteries getting bigger and cheaper. If you compare a new Yamaha to a new ebike shop bike, around $3k, the scooter is more of a transportation solution in a lot of places. The bikes I build for $1200 do a lot for the money. But I really think every extra $100, final cost, for DIY, is losing people. I'd like to see good motors like Mac in US kits for $300, basic batteries for $300.

Hope it all settles out. You can throw the pack in a back pack for a test ride.

I think there are a couple of shark packs now. With mine, I think I could drill a hole somewhere on the mount to match a screw on the frame of the bike. There are four screws that cover an area where some kind of controller could go, but I don't think that space is used.

I don't really trust my shark pack, so I use a couple of mini-bungees, but they would not be secure by themselves.

I think there will be battery Zuma type scooters in a few years, with batteries getting bigger and cheaper. If you compare a new Yamaha to a new ebike shop bike, around $3k, the scooter is more of a transportation solution in a lot of places. The bikes I build for $1200 do a lot for the money. But I really think every extra $100, final cost, for DIY, is losing people. I'd like to see good motors like Mac in US kits for $300, basic batteries for $300.

Hope it all settles out. You can throw the pack in a back pack for a test ride.
Hi George, I'm not sure I would trust the boss water brackets anyway for something as having as this battery. Prices of ebikes are bound to come down but this is what we pay to be early adopters.

Got everything assembled except the electrical which should be easy. After I put on the new chainwheel (48t) if figured I would test the shifting. The chain keeps falling off on the granny gear. I put it on gear 3 and it seems to say in place. I noticed the the chain is far from a straight line on gear 1 (granny). I guess I never paid any attention on my previous chainring which had 3 sprockets but I would have thought that would protrude out farther than a single sprocket chainring. I have 9 gears on the rear cassette.

Back