HT1000 - 29er not possible due to forks, I'm gutted. can't decide what to do now - any advice appreciated.

mudflinger

Region
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Been reading around here for a while but just signed up. After a lot of research, finally decided to pull the trigger today and attempt to put an order in for a Frey HT1000 with a large frame and 29" wheels.

Great comms from Frey but unfortunately didn't go through with the order as they don't have 29" forks in stock anymore, and said they won't for another year at least. I'm absolutely gutted. After researching for months, I really had my heart set on this bike. I'm tempted to just order it with 27.5 wheels anyway, but not sure if I'll end up regretting my decision. I'm a larger guy at 1.87m (6ft1) and 250lbs and plan to use the bike mostly for commuting, so thought a 29" was a better fit for purpose.

What do you guys think? Should I just go for the 27.5? Is it going to make a huge difference for how I intend on using the bike?

Also, I thought about seeing if I can order the 29" bike without the forks and just sourcing those from elsewhere. Would that be a viable option if Frey are willing to accommodate? I've never built my own bike before, let alone e-bike, so please forgive the stupid question, but am I right in assuming separate forks could be sourced and installed fairly easily?

Thanks all, back to dribbling over pics of your bikes and dreaming for now. ;)

Jim

Hi folks,

Been reading around here for a while but just signed up. After a lot of research, finally decided to pull the trigger today and attempt to put an order in for a Frey HT1000 with a large frame and 29" wheels.

Great comms from Frey but unfortunately didn't go through with the order as they don't have 29" forks in stock anymore, and said they won't for another year at least. I'm absolutely gutted. After researching for months, I really had my heart set on this bike. I'm tempted to just order it with 27.5 wheels anyway, but not sure if I'll end up regretting my decision. I'm a larger guy at 1.87m (6ft1) and 250lbs and plan to use the bike mostly for commuting, so thought a 29" was a better fit for purpose.

What do you guys think? Should I just go for the 27.5? Is it going to make a huge difference for how I intend on using the bike?

Also, I thought about seeing if I can order the 29" bike without the forks and just sourcing those from elsewhere. Would that be a viable option if Frey are willing to accommodate? I've never built my own bike before, let alone e-bike, so please forgive the stupid question, but am I right in assuming separate forks could be sourced and installed fairly easily?

Jim
The 27.5 is all you need, I am 6'1 and 210 with the large frame and 27.5. I wouldn't want 29 tires. As a commuter it is plenty of bike. I'm not sure why you would think you need 29.

I'm 6.1 220lbs and I am on a 26" fat tire, so overall height is 29"

the Frey HT1000 at 27.5" seems it would have an overall height of 29" so a 29" would be closer to 31" I would think.

@29" overall my 6'1" fits perfect, I wouldn't want to go to a 31" overall, I doubt it would be manageable, that is more in line for someone 6'4" or taller.

I use my fat tire for commuting, 50 miles a day.

And....I am going to have excuses/reasons I won't loan out my Hydra. I'm keeping an MXS Sondors just as a loaner.

Yes, sorry Reed. I just assumed I could forgo copying your post since I got in right after you did.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your thoughts. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go for the 27.5. I'll keep you all posted on the progress!

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Jim
27.5x2.8 is all you'd need in the moto-x tire for commuting

Back home after almost a year and 300km, needless to say I am happy to have my orange 29er back.
IMG_20210916_114629.jpg

This is a suspension seatpost I can get in Thailand for a reasonable price, I only bought the post!
FB_IMG_1631841474088.jpg

Back