How wet can you get an E- Bike?

Franklo

I read a few posts about people frying their motors or controllers by getting them very wet.
I didn't see any in depth descriptions about how wet. Would a puddle do it or very heavy rain.
I know you can't pull a Keith Moon and drive into a pool or lake or something.
But I'm just wondering how wet you all get your bikes without any problems showing up.

I find it dangerous for me to ride in downpours and silly to leave my bike out in one. I think it's a matter of common sense and the design of the bike. Some are going to be better than others, by design. I try yo limit my mid drive and ride my hub drive in wet. It takes it a bit better and isn't as sensitive IMO. The controller is protected in a reasonably waterproof bag/case.

Thanks for the tips. the mid drives look like they'd be a little more prone to water damage. not that i know that for sure but just the way the equipment looks to be situated.
i guess a Faraday would be the best set-up with the controller up high under the seat. i'm going out saturday whether it rains or not. it's been a cold rainy spring here in the northeast. we had 70 degrees and sunny for a lot of february. now it's been 40's and 50's and rainy. Haven't had my kayak out once yet either. plus my dog has been licking the tires on my bike. he's never done that before. i'm waiting for him to bite a hole through one of them. i must have ridden over something tasty to him or something.

Hi @Franklo

I just looked at your profile page to try and see what bike you have, it's an Easy Motion Evo? If that's the case, your controller is up high inside the frame and is fully potted in RTV silicone.

Controller location:
20170107_195812.png

About as water proof as any ebike controller could be. The connections on the bike are water resistant, but these should be checked for tightness when cleaning or performing regular maintenance. I also like to check the machine screws on the hub motor, using a torque wrench set to 4 NM.

I've been caught in some serious rain with my BH Evo and haven't had any issues, but I do try to keep the bike dry. I'm in the Northeast as well and enough with the rain already! Farmers are even starting to complain. I hope you get to enjoy your ride this weekend!

Yeah that's like mine. I have an EVO 27.5. my wife's is an EVO street. Did you ever have a problem with the contacts getting wet when you have the digital readout removed ? like maybe if you have the bike on a rack
or locked up outside in the rain where you might have to take the readout with you. just wondering. i don't think i'll run into that situation too often but sometimes i'll have to park and lock and take the readout with me. and if
it starts raining then the pin contacts will get damp. i know what you mean about the rainy spring so far. at least it will get my tires wet and wash off whatever my dog is finding so interesting, so he quits using my bike as chew toy. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the info @J.R. I just bought myself a 2017 EVO Cross and am planning on riding it year-round here in Colorado as a commuter. We don't get too many downpours but it's nice to know I don't have to take shelter under a bridge every time it sprinkles. :D

Yeah that's like mine. I have an EVO 27.5. my wife's is an EVO street. Did you ever have a problem with the contacts getting wet when you have the digital readout removed ? like maybe if you have the bike on a rack
or locked up outside in the rain where you might have to take the readout with you. just wondering. i don't think i'll run into that situation too often but sometimes i'll have to park and lock and take the readout with me. and if
it starts raining then the pin contacts will get damp. i know what you mean about the rainy spring so far. at least it will get my tires wet and wash off whatever my dog is finding so interesting, so he quits using my bike as chew toy. Thanks again for the info.
I haven't had an issue with the contacts getting wet. I do carry a couple plastic bags for anything I might need them for, both ends of the handlebars are a good example.

Wet weather performance really depends on the bike. I'm a year round rider in Minnesota and never met a thunderstorm that kept me from riding my 2015 Specialized Turbo-X. I don't even think about it and haven't had a problem. I think most large manufacturers found out long ago that people ride their bikes in the rain. When it comes to smaller companies/cheaper bikes, some waterproofing corners may have been cut. But for the most part, electronic components are protected against water.

I think most large manufacturers found out long ago that people ride their bikes in the rain
I agree. My wettest ride was 30+ miles in a wet heavy snow storm, with my first ebike, a ProdecoTech. A much more modest bike than my BH, from a big (for ebikes) manufacturer. The derailleur and chain clogged and froze, but the electronics functioned flawlessly.

IMAG0574.jpg

P.S. Thank goodness studded tires for bikes were invented!

I read a few posts about people frying their motors or controllers by getting them very wet.
I didn't see any in depth descriptions about how wet. Would a puddle do it or very heavy rain.
I know you can't pull a Keith Moon and drive into a pool or lake or something.
But I'm just wondering how wet you all get your bikes without any problems showing up.

I live in western Oregon. It rains. I ride. No problem. I have a Trek XM700+ mid-drive.

Radwagon, Seattle.
40 miles daily, 3500 miles total.
I ride in full on rain showers and have had no issue with the electronics.
The water tight plug on my battery is a joke. This too has not been a problem.
I have rain pants, boots and jacket. Stay surprisingly dry.

When I answered customer service requests, regardless of the positive responses, I did get requests regarding problems with displays and water intrusion in mid drives. There are many cases on endless_sphere of rusted stars on direct drives. There are some good paints that are appropriate when the time comes. Good maintenance and common sense. And you're golden. After all a majority will not be riding in downpours. If for not other reason than just common sense and safety. I did see returns of BBSxx units for water intrusion and rusted stators. I made sure mine was sealed with a bit of black RTV at the seams.

Back