How to Switch to Clipless Pedals

salaryman

Region
USA
Hi there - I have a Rad City 5 and am looking to switch out from the standard pedals they came with to a clipless pedal setup.
I would like to know if that's possible on an ebike and if so, are there any special considerations to factor, as well as any general
recommendations for brands and shoes.

As always, thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge

Pedal fitment should be standard (that is the threads). Being an eBike makes no difference; it is still a bike. Shoes and pedals are a personal choice. More of an idea of why you are considering the change and what you hope to achieve would help with further advice. Also, do you want to walk in your shoes (e.g., SPD style), or are you after road-style shoes (like a TdF rider :))?

1_ESHXC502MCE20S43_PAR_990f__11814.1697157276.jpg

SPD style clipless.

vento-infinito-knit-carbon-2-coral-red-fizik-4-road-racing-cycling-knitted-shoes-with-carbon-fiber-outsole_23.jpg

Road style clipless.

Another possible idea is an MTB-style flat pedal. That is one with pins and appropriate shoes.

p4pb19101524.jpg

This is my preferred approach. It provides a good connection to the bike plus the shoes are okay for walking in, hike a bike etc.

Hi there - I have a Rad City 5 and am looking to switch out from the standard pedals they came with to a clipless pedal setup.
I would like to know if that's possible on an ebike and if so, are there any special considerations to factor, as well as any general
recommendations for brands and shoes.

As always, thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge
Be aware they can be dangerous until you get used to them. I use traps and even they are dangerous especially if you have to come to an emergency stop. while riding slow. I have the elbow scars to prove it.

Another possible idea is an MTB-style flat pedal. That is one with pins and appropriate shoes.

p4pb19101524.jpg

This is my preferred approach. It provides a good connection to the bike plus the shoes are okay for walking in, hike a bike etc.

I'm impressed with how well the spiked MTB pedals hold my feet — even with my (gasp) Skecher slip-ins. No visible sole damage after well over 500 miles.

But danger lurks here as well. Until my legs learned to steer clear of the spikes, my shins and calves looked like a war zone.

Really like these for the grip, price, durability, and "wide" (elongated fore-aft) platforms:

I'm impressed with how well the spiked MTB pedals hold my feet — even with my (gasp) Skecher slip-ins. No visible sole damage after well over 500 miles.

But danger lurks here as well. Until my legs learned to steer clear of the spikes, my shins and calves looked like a war zone.

Really like these for the grip, price, durability, and "wide" (elongated fore-aft) platforms:

These are great. I have them too. I bike in my boots and these are very comfortable. They are both longer and wider than my s*it wellers.

The great benefit of clipless is a full rotation of power. Not only power on the downstroke, but power pulling on the upstroke. Takes practice and discipline. The occasional fall from an unexpected stop is always a possibility. I've been on a few trail rides and have seen this happen.

You can get close to 3/4 (40%) rotation with a good pair of flats and MTB flat shoes. Here is a good writeup of some shoes. There are a lot of options for flat pedals and replacement pins. I've been really impressed with Xpedo Spry magnesium pedals and 5.10 shoes.

xpedo spry.png

Options for more aggressive pins:

Xpedo Pins.png

They also sell replacement bearings.

Still, if power and a complete workout is what you're after, clipless is the way to go!

Be aware they can be dangerous until you get used to them. I use traps and even they are dangerous especially if you have to come to an emergency stop. while riding slow. I have the elbow scars to prove it.

That's why I never use them anymore - kept falling in technical sections. Only way I'd consider them again is if I were racing, but those days are behind me. I went back to flats over a decade ago and never looked back.

Same here. Went with RaceFace Chesters.

That's why I never use them anymore - kept falling in technical sections. Only way I'd consider them again is if I were racing, but those days are behind me. I went back to flats over a decade ago and never looked back.
I can definitely see that on technical stuff, where the spikes could easily scrape more than your legs in a tumble. But my technical days are long over. Nowadays I avoid falls like the plague.

Took my legs 2-3 weeks to learn to avoid the spikes without conscious effort. No scrapes since.

I can definitely see that on technical stuff, where the spikes could easily scrape more than your legs in a tumble. But my technical days are long over. Nowadays I avoid falls like the plague.

Took my legs 2-3 weeks to learn to avoid the spikes without conscious effort. No scrapes since.

I still stab myself with a pin now and again, but generally take more damage from bushes, limbs, thorns, etc. Collateral damage

I got myself several times with my monster pedals but even I learned not to do it. But my pedals are large enough that my feet don't flex on them. but I found non-grippy soles tend to not catch well on the pins. so cycling shoes are out. I liked how my feet were always in the right place when clipped in but walking was a hassle.

1717880547012.png

Adidas FiveTen (510) Freerider Pro shoes with Crankbrothers Stamp (1 or 3 or 7) size L pedals. Specialized 2FO DH Flat shoes are almost as good but the fit of the latter is not that excellent.

Proper cycling shoes hold on the traction pins of good flat pedals as good as you need to raise your feet a little to remove them from the pedals! The greatest benefit of the flat pedals (especially large ones) is you can change the foot position as you are riding. The SPD system is a little more efficient but it holds your feet always at the same position, which is good for an athlete but not necessarily for the rest of us :)

Last edited:
Pedal fitment should be standard (that is the threads). Being an eBike makes no difference; it is still a bike. Shoes and pedals are a personal choice. More of an idea of why you are considering the change and what you hope to achieve would help with further advice. Also, do you want to walk in your shoes (e.g., SPD style), or are you after road-style shoes (like a TdF rider :))?

1_ESHXC502MCE20S43_PAR_990f__11814.1697157276.jpg

SPD style clipless.

vento-infinito-knit-carbon-2-coral-red-fizik-4-road-racing-cycling-knitted-shoes-with-carbon-fiber-outsole_23.jpg

Road style clipless.

p4pb19101524.jpg

Thank you so much for all of the details - had never seen/heard about the flat pedal/MTB option.

Thank you so much for all of the details - had never seen/heard about the flat pedal/MTB option.
You just need to learn living with the traction pins, which comes with the time spent pedalling :) There is a safe option, which is the Raceface "Ride" pedals with moulded traction areas. These will never hurt your legs but will not hold your feet as good as proper metal traction pin pedals do. There are many brands offering MTB traction pin pedals. I like Crankbrothers Stamps because I can buy them in size Large but that is of course not the only option.

@fooferdoggie: You were once recommending huge/long pedals, what was it? Catalyst pedals?

I only fell over once it was like 20 degrees out I went to put my foot down and the wind blew me over on the opposite side. On the tandem no way I have to stop too often or as happens a lot I am stopping at a stop sign and the cars that don't have a stop sign want me to go and I am fumbling trying to get my foot down and position the peddle and go all at once.

@salaryman, if you're going to buy a pair of clipless pedals I'd recommend going with a pedal that has a clip on one side and is flat on the other side. That way when you're riding in heavy traffic, sandy soil, etc., you can unclip and ride on the flat side.
The thing with being clipped in is once you start to fall over there isn't much you can do to stop the fall.
I have clipless on my two drop-bar bikes (regular road and e-gravel) and flat pedals with pins on my commuter ebike and e-mountain bike.

I only fell over once it was like 20 degrees out I went to put my foot down and the wind blew me over on the opposite side. On the tandem no way I have to stop too often or as happens a lot I am stopping at a stop sign and the cars that don't have a stop sign want me to go and I am fumbling trying to get my foot down and position the peddle and go all at once.
I tried the SPD-SL, which is the Shimano road bike clipless system. As I heavily crashed twice just because I could not unclip in time, I said 'goodbye' to that system forever. Besides, SPD-SL compatible shoes are totally unwalkable :D
@salaryman, if you're going to buy a pair of clipless pedals I'd recommend going with a pedal that has a clip on one side and is flat on the other side. That way when you're riding in heavy traffic, sandy soil, etc., you can unclip and ride on the flat side.
Then I tried the proper Shimano SPD system (MTB) and cleated shoes. I chose the "beginner" pedals and cleats. I could unclip by three different foot movements. I was pretty happy until I almost crashed into a car, braked violently, and could unclip one foot just in time. The SPD (MTB system) cleated shoes are walkable but only in the emergency :) You walk like a duck in them :) And yes, those pedals were of the type you described @Deacon Blues. Very hard to sense the correct side of the pedal to clip in! Almost impossible to pedal on the flat side of it.

My experiences taught me I still had several years of the life ahead, and I would not like to die just because some people advocated for the clipless system :D

Last edited:
My riding shoes - always flip flops with tread on the bottoms so they grab the MTB pedals spikes.
Wonder how much Lance spent on his racing flip-flops?
;^}

Flip-flops seem to be the No. 1 choice in cycling footware here in coastal north San Diego County. See them on kids through 50-somethings, and not just on the way home from the beach.

Many of the many ebikes in our hilly area are cadence-sensing hub-drives with throttles. For most, they're just transportation (fine by me). No serious pedaling required, and little seen. Which only makes flip-flops that much more attactive.

Back