How to select a compatible throttle?

stevet2233

Hi all,

I basically just replaced my entire ebike minus the frame. I loved my old throttle(half handle) and really want to replace the one the new kit came with (thumb throttle).

I cut open the wires of both the old and new throttles to see the number of wires in there and see if things matched up, both had 3 wires however colors didn't match.

I tried every possible combination and none of them resulted in a functional throttle, 3 combinations had no errors and behaved if there was no throttle connected, the other 3 gave me an error.

Is there a particular way to identify throttle compatibility if I decide to buy a new half handle?

Thanks!
Steve

I replaced my half twist throttle with a thumb, just opposite to what you want to do. I also found the color coding on the wires to be different. I used this diagram to test the leads and found the right combination:

throttle-test-signal-voltage.png

There is no set standard for these throttles though so some variation is to be expected.

I found I didn't like the thumb and eventually went back to the half twist. I installed this thumb adapter instead:

throttle_red_only_540x.jpg

The half twist throttle also allows the use of this cruise control device which I really like:

51I4sL7ZwUL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I don't see how that diagram shows you how to test this? Just because i know what wires are ground, power and signal on the controller end doesn't assist me with matching up those wires with their mating wires on the throttle end.

Either way, my question is not how to troubleshoot what I already have, it is how to know if one I am going to purchase will be compatible with my controller? Like i mentioned, I've tried every possible combination of wires with this throttle and controller combo and none functioned. I even went back and double checked every combination that didn't cause the controller to spit back an error just in case i had a bad connection and nothing changed, so clearly there's a compatibility issue of some sort at play here.

Thanks!

I don't see how that diagram shows you how to test this? Just because i know what wires are ground, power and signal on the controller end doesn't assist me with matching up those wires with their mating wires on the throttle end.

Either way, my question is not how to troubleshoot what I already have, it is how to know if one I am going to purchase will be compatible with my controller? Like i mentioned, I've tried every possible combination of wires with this throttle and controller combo and none functioned. I even went back and double checked every combination that didn't cause the controller to spit back an error just in case i had a bad connection and nothing changed, so clearly there's a compatibility issue of some sort at play here.

Thanks!

The diagram allowed me to identify the existing red, yellow and green leads as +5 volts, ground and signal before disconnecting. I was then able to match them up with the red, black and green leads on the new throttle. It helped that the red lead on both throttles was +5V and the color coding on the new throttle was the same as the diagram.

As I mentioned, there is no set standard for throttles. It may well be that your controller uses a different format and I was just lucky. Maybe you can find a wiring diagram for your controller with the necessary information.

Sorry I wasn't able to help.

No worries, anything is appreciated 😁

I guess there must be differences in how some controllers receive/interpret signals from the throttle or something? You'd think it'd basically just be a potentiometer on these super basic ones with no other functions, but that'd be too simple for ebikes haha

Back