How To Make A Ebike Choice, Where Are The Dealers?

William1949

Court, you have done a tremendous job. So many Ebikes and reviews. I am in Missouri and I am finding it very difficult to locate a regular bike store or a Ebike store where I could test ride the Ebikes that you have on your website.
Is it possible that the bike industry has not bought off on the idea of a Ebike? I keep on going back to just 3 manufacturers, which I know there has to be more choices than that. Only one has a dealership and it is not very close to me. I have to then think that I just have to buy one online. I am a little worried. You said in your own experiences that you wished that you would have gone to a dealership. Also, there is a great difference in pricing of Ebikes that seem to have the same features. How do you select your personal bike. Maybe you are in the same boat that I am. Thank you.

This is a common problem for many of us. Here in Eastern NC, we had no local bike shops selling ebikes any closer than Durham (3 hours away by car) until last summer when a Pedego shop opened in New Bern, and another bike shop put some Raleigh ebikes on their sales floor. When my wife and I bought ours, I did all my research online (mostly here at EBR), and then ordered a CrossCurrent S from Juiced Bikes. It turned out great for me -- no problems -- but there are no guarantees. My wife had a chance to try a Pedego when we were in California a year ago, and so when we got home we drove to the Pedego shop in Durham and bought hers. So glad there is now a dealer here in our little town.

Acceptance of ebikes in the conventional cycle world has been slow, at least here in the US. It seems to be gaining momentum, though, and in 2-3 years I think even remote areas like mine will see much more ebike activity and shops that support them. In the meantime, there you are in Missouri with a lack of local resources.

Look around on EBR, Court's reviews are great, and read the brand-specific subforums for any bikes that grab your interest. This is a great way to get a feel for it, and will help you decide whether you are willing to risk going the online route. Most of the reputable online sellers (Juiced, Rad, etc.) have sold thousands of bikes without hassles, and stand behind the ones that do need some kind of help. But if you're that one guy with a serious problem, all the happy customers in the world don't offset your frustration. I felt it was worth the risk and it has worked out great.

Last edited:
You and Court are great. I understand. I am happy that this website and forum exists. That was a heartfelt reply. I am leaning towards Pedego or Electra. I may try a used Pedego. I am unsure. We maybe on the cutting edge of the trend. I will keep you posted. Thank you and the forum members for your passion. I will keep you posted. Billy

When I shopped for ebikes around Toledo, OH, I found that the shops that carried them we near universities - Bowling Green, University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan, etc. You're close to St. Louis, so you can probably find some bike shops near universities/colleges there that carry ebikes. I ended up buying my Haibike from H.E.H near Eastern Michigan. It's a 45 minute drive, but worth it.

Thank you so much. I will check it out. Makes sense. I am thinking about going to Fort Collins Colorado. I have called around, but so far I have not found a shop that has multiple lines of Ebikes. Billy

I'm curious where or why Court said that he wished he'd gone to a dealer for his personal bike. He is definitely not lacking opportunities to test-drive, and doesn't need a dealer for advice/education purposes either. (Or an LBS, which is not always same thing as a dealer).

You probably should narrow it down first to type/size of drive and type of frame. It's difficult to imagine a scenario where one could narrow his choice down to Pedego and Electra. IMO, these 2 lines are worlds apart. Not that one is "better" than another, - just very different.

I'm curious where or why Court said that he wished he'd gone to a dealer for his personal bike. He is definitely not lacking opportunities to test-drive, and doesn't need a dealer for advice/education purposes either. (Or an LBS, which is not always same thing as a dealer).

You probably should narrow it down first to type/size of drive and type of frame. It's difficult to imagine a scenario where one could narrow his choice down to Pedego and Electra. IMO, these 2 lines are worlds apart. Not that one is "better" than another, - just very different.

It was in his Amazon Kindle Ebook. He is a great young man and has done everybody a favor. I admire him. I am studying his work and passion. Thank you. I can only find these 2 dealers where I live.

Here is the excerpt

When do electric bikes make sense Depending on the application, electric bicycles are not always an improvement over regular human-powered bikes. The first ebike I saw captured my imagination and lured me in with long lists of features and performance specification but ended up being a mistake because it did not perform to my expectations. I had ordered it online without a test ride and ultimately struggled to find help with repairs, ultimately selling it used at a big loss. For the most part, these machines are heavy and expensive. Even

Rye, Court. A Practical Guide to Electric Bikes (Discovering Electric Bikes) . Court Rye. Kindle Edition.

Last edited:
If you are near the eastern border of MO., and not far from St. Louis, would be happy to meet you 'half way' with several brands and models for you to try out. Buyers have come from the east as far as northern Michigan to my shop, from the north in Wisconsin (Madison), the west in Des Moines IA, the east in southern Indiana, and down 'south' from southern Illinois. I've delivered etrikes as far as 5 hours away to a client in Detroit, and to another from Nashville, who I met 'halfway'. I have an enclosed trailer that can hold about 5 to 6 ebikes. My preference is to do business in person as opposed to just shipping something blindly, to ensure the buyer is getting the 'right fit', and a fully and properly set up ebike. That said, I don't mind traveling a bit to make it easier for the customer.

I think you're trying to read more than it is necessary at this stage. Not to mention that this industry is developing fast, making any substantial book obsolete quickly.

Note that Court talks about bike purchased without test-ride, not just a bike that has no dealership or other kind of support.

Market has changed a lot since this book was written. There are factory-direct suppliers like RAD that are neither a dealer nor LBS, and dozens of other companies that have no dealership network and keep only one or two brick and mortar stores, - if any at all. As soon as specs are published, the crowd here at the EBR and more technical crowd yet at Endless Sphere will tell you what to expect from this motor, controller and battery, before Court even gets his hands on it :) ... I like his graphic and video presentations, very professionally made, this takes time.

Repairs boil down to "replacements". Nobody repairs things made in China, - with very few exceptions there are no facilities, infrastructure, professionals here. Dealer or well-established LBS would replace the entire module - a motor, or controller or battery. DIY enthusiasts might also replace gears inside a motor, or even try to repair a controller, but this is not what most people prefer to do.

Selling a used ebike at a big loss is inevitable with any ebike, even when everything works well. This is how it is, in this industry.

Last edited:
The point I was making is that I would need a test ride or test drive before I purchase the Ebike. That is all. I do need to ride the other styles/shapes/moters/ battery etc to be fully convinced. I might have to go to a Ebike show. I mentioned Pedego and Electra because of what I saw on Court's website. I know there are others. The adventure continues. Thank you for your help.

@William1949

I'm not sure where in Missouri you're located. Here is a full service shop:

CYCLEX, 203 NORTH PROVIDENCE ROAD, COLUMBIA, MO, 65203

https://www.cyclex.com/electrical-assist-bikes/

They offer Specialized and BH Easy Motion brands, which cover every major brand of drive systems on the market. Brose, Yamaha, Bosch, Shimano and Dapu. I think the only system of note that's not covered is Bafang.

The two ebike brands offer everything from street to dirt and offer a wide range of sizes to fit anyone. The dealer offers test rides, rentals and professional fitting services.

Good luck shopping. Then enjoy the ride!

In the post #1 you talked about buying from "dealerships", didn't see anything about test-ride. My point was - a good product support and a "dealer" are two different things in today's market, though it appears now that this was not what you wanted to know.

Of course it's better to take a test-ride. Easier to do with higher priced bikes, difficult with smaller companies or factory-direct brands. Choosing from whatever a nearby shop have in showroom, you are limiting your choices. And there is another caveat - when you come unprepared, you don't know what to ask and what to look at, during the test-ride.

You asked how people choose their bikes. I think, most people start their quest by laying out preferences and requirements - range, speed, terrain, throttle or not, heavy rider, frame type, price range etc. Then they narrow it down to bikes that are close to their requirements. Then they take a test-ride, if possible. In this order, more or less.

Last edited:
Thank you. So many Ebikes. I am not quite ready to buy so I have time to review the information. Have a good evening, Alex. Bracing for more snow in Missouri.

I have a Pedego Interceptor (in my profile pic)--actually we are a four-Pedego family. We did test rides before purchasing. I highly recommend test-riding. Ride the Pedegos and whatever else you can get your hands on. If you live close enough to a town where you can have a little weekend getaway and ride even more bikes, and can afford a little vacation, that would be fun, too! I went with Pedego because after looking at the locally available ebikes (Pedego, Trek, Specialized, Electra, Faraday, Spicy Curry (?), and a few others within a 12 mile radius) I realized I wanted CLASS 2--that has pedal assist AND a throttle. Our area is very hilly. I wanted to be able to use a throttle for re-starting if we had to stop on a hill. Also, the throttle allows you to ride the bike (without pedaling) if the chain falls off. I thought this was a good feature for my kids--if they were out and about on their bikes and the chain fell off, they could throttle on home if they couldn't get the chain back on. And, I decided I wanted a HUB drive for durability. At first I was swayed by all of the mid-drive hype I found online, but reading more carefully I could see that a geared hub might be better for our application (suburban/urban riding on streets and paved or crushed gravel bike paths). I didn't look at bike shops further than 12 miles from me because I wanted us to be able to bike to the bike shop if need be. So, convenience was a big factor. I guess we're really lucky to be able to bike to our bike shops!!!

Having the dealer nearby has been terrific--nice to bike on over when I need something minor. Or they have come over and picked up a bike when it needed something major (my H's bike blew an engine for some reason--they swapped his bike out for a loaner, which he road for over two weeks till his bike had its new motor arrive from headquarters and get re-laced, etc.). Our dealer has even fixed a flat and done other little things like adjusting breaks, in addition to warranty work (no charge for anything...).

For a bike without a local dealer, I'd be asking how to get repairs/parts if needed. Lots of folks here to share experiences. Of course, it's all much easier if you're handy with tools and electronic stuff. :)

BTW, I have no financial interest in Pedego or in EBR (I'm a volunteer admin). I'm just a happy ebiker! :)

William, I'm also a first time purchaser (and about to buy today) and have found it difficult to find any decent selection at any bike dealer in the St. Louis metro area. They may have 3-4 at some dealerships but most I have gone to dealerships locally in the south county area have little or no stock but will tell you they will order you what you want. Most of these shops at this point are unwilling to make the purchases to have a good size sampling of e-bikes to try out. My guess it's the financial investment compared to regular bicycles.

While on vacation in Michigan up I stopped at two dealerships up in Petoskey and rode a Pedego and Raleigh Detour IE. Hated the Pedego and loved the Raleigh. Absolutely no Raleigh's available to ride at the local dealerships in the St. Louis metro area to compare and contrast with. I think I should have scheduled a day in Petoskey at the various e-bike rental facilities to do some demo rides. There were many brands available at those different facilities and the two I visited were willing to allow me some test riding on their property.

As it ends up it became a matter of price and the knowledge that there is a future price increase coming on all e-bikes due to a Trump 25% import tax that is looming shortly. It's just a matter of how the e-bike manufacturers respond as to how much of that gets passed to the consumer.

I decided to purchase today and am going to go with a RadCity bike. That will be about $900 less than the Raleigh and a much larger savings over the cost of the Pedego which I didn't like. I have a relative close to me and he is going to buy the same bike. With each of us having the same bike and being only 4 miles apart, we will go through the adventure together figuring that two heads and 4 hands can deal with assembly and any future maintenance issues.

I did purchase an Electra Townie Go Commute. It is very nice and I am getting a good workout. I do like the RadCity bikes. Court does too. I am thinking about buying one for my son. You made a good choice. Tell me how you are doing.

Back