How to Best Charge Battery for Longest Life

The Luna cycle charger works fine and will save a couple of bucks. They know what their doing when it comes to batteries and their straight up.

By following these simple bike battery care tips from (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) you can give your battery a long and healthy life.

Storage:
  • Avoid prolonged storage in a fully charged or fully discharged state (Ideally store at 50% charged.)
  • Store at normal room temperature – avoid storage at over 20°C or below 5°C (41 °F and 68 °F).
Use:
  • Where possible avoid discharging your battery to below 20%.
  • Avoid leaving the bike in direct sunlight on hot days – heat is a battery’s worst enemy. Temperatures over 30°C (68 °F) are harmful to Li-Ion batteries.
  • Over-discharge can occur when you push your bicycle batteries to their limit. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery.
  • Constantly making the motor and battery work hard (e.g. cycling up steep hills with full assistance) will reduce battery life.
Charging:
  • The practice of charging to only 80% of capacity can almost double the life of a Li-Ion battery.
  • Use a good quality charger designed specifically for your type of Lithium-Ion battery.
  • Use the slowest (lowest power) charging option your charger supports unless you are desperate to get back out on the road.
Notes:
Lithium Ion batteries do not have a “memory” and shallow discharges extend battery life.
‘Cycle life’ is the number of complete charge/discharge cycles that the battery is able to perform before its capacity falls below 80% of its original capacity.

Ultra-Fast Charging
Where possible, charge at a moderate rate. Ultra-fast charging always causes battery stress.

With Ultra Fast charging it is important to note that :
  • Your battery should be a type suitable for ultra-fast charging.
  • Check your the battery is in good condition as ultra-fast charging puts higher stresses on your battery.
  • You should always use a charger that has the correct specifications to work with your battery.
  • It is best to charge at moderate ambient temperatures. Do not use a fast charger when the battery is hot or cold.
  • Avoid fast charging a damaged, aged or low-performing battery.
  • Ultra-fast charging only applies during the first charge phase (up to 70% charge).
  • If you are shopping for an ultrafast charger look for one which has a charge-time selector to allow a slower charge when time allows. Selecting the slower charge option will help extend the life of your battery.
for more on battery care visit (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

We recommend use the Cycle Satiator for partial charging. This is the one we use at the shop.
Mine is several years old now and an incredible piece of kit. So much better than the $90 "not so smart" chargers. Much better warranty too!

Can anyone share a voltage based charging table by total percent charged? Example 52 volts = 70%???
I have a laboratory power supply that I can set the any voltage that I want to use to charge to 80% but I need the current voltage setting.

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 2.38.18 PM.png
The Luna cycle charger works fine and will save a couple of bucks. They know what their doing when it comes to batteries and their straight up.
Most returned item any reseller supplies, and I've had the experience with several resellers since Nov 2015. Overheat, failed displays, failed fans and more. The "smart" chargers form some will only charge one voltage. I like that I can have a charger with a solid warranty, multiple voltages, varied charge rates, a full range of charge percentages. Also a very safe charger. Several years old still charging my 12V SLA for my cell welder and 24v,36v,48v, and 52V all from one charger. I was so happy that I bought a 72V 7205 charger from Grin too. The Cycle Satiator. Download PDF Brochure

Model Name 2415 4808 7205
Max Voltage
36V 63V 103V
Max Current 15A* 8A* 5A*
Typical Batteries 12-24V 24V-52V 36V-84V

*Current also clamped by 360 watt power limit

The stock charger is just under 100%
To what percentage does the stock charger charge to? 100%

Our stock charger goes to around 100%, but we have considered making a stand-alone 80% charger if there is demand for it. Most customers tend to not get into all the details about the pack.

Our stock charger goes to around 100%, but we have considered making a stand-alone 80% charger if there is demand for it. Most customers tend to not get into all the details about the pack.
I agree Tora, I think those who are concerned enough about charging the pack to 80% to prolong the life will likely buy the satiator which you already sell. Granted, it is expensive. But even if you could make a charger that went to 80%, how many people do you think would buy one? I'm guessing not enough to make it worth your while.

I'd rather see you spend your time figuring out how to make a good mid-drive bike :)

I think a vendor has already demonstrated there is a market. In my 9 months hundreds were sold. although the complexity made for high returns. Making the Satiator the Best Buy. More and more are learning that extending, perhaps more than doubling battery life, especially on high priced bikes, is a no brainer. In my experience, customers are getting more sophisticated.

How about a charger with a switch so you can choose 80% or 100% ? Maybe someone can come up with a mod (aka "hack") for the stock chargers.

You can manage a less-than-100% charge cycle by figuring out how much of a charge it can take in 10 or 15 minutes to calculate a per-minute percentage boost. Then figure out how long you have to charge the battery to get the total amount of percentage boost you want to get to your target. Buy a timer that will allow you cut off power to the charger after the desired time interval has elapsed.

Has anyone done the leg work on this for the 12.8ah pack?

I'm brand new to E-bikes and just got the Cross Current S. I have the 12.8 Ah battery. Can anyone tell me what the voltage reading should be at 100%, 80% and 20%? Thanks!

I see that, but not exactly sure how to read it. For the 12.8 Ah would it be:
100% - 54.6 v
80% - 51.5
20% - 42.1

I see that, but not exactly sure how to read it. For the 12.8 Ah would it be:
100% - 54.6 v
80% - 51.5
20% - 42.1

You got it. It's the 48 volts that matters, not the amp hours (12.8, 17.4, 21, whatever) when you want to know percentage of charge.

Back