How-to and expectations to ship e-bike spare battery

GuruUno

I have a spare battery I'm not using for my Turbo Vado 5.0 which I've listed in the classified. However, I'm offering local pickup in NJ.
My question is, even though I've read this and that about at https://redstagfulfillment.com/how-to-ship-an-electric-bike/
it says a UN3171 classification and $39 or so would allow FedEx or UPS to handle a shipment.
Does anyone have any experience with selling or purchasing e-bike batteries and not having any hassles that they can share? (shipping)

Hello sir, while I cannot speak for an e-bike battery specifically, I DO KNOW you can ship via FEDEX and UPS. Box has to be labeled of course lithium battery inside. They should be able to tell you for sure. I do have much experience shipping 7.2V lithium camera batteries and while there is an upcharge, it's right around 40.00.

I Purchasing an extended range battery from my local BS last week, and they did receive it FEDEX has the red battery label was on the side.

Not sure that helps you

I believe UN3480 would be the correct classification -stand alone Lithium Ion battery. 3171 would be if you were shipping your bike with the battery attached.

You can buy empty battery boxes on eBay that have the right labels. Dont forget to add a contact phone number on the UN label.

It would have to ship as DG/Hazmat which does incur an extra fee, but more importantly you have to be a hazmat shipper to create a hazmat shipping label. Easiest way is to find a certified shipper to ship the item for you.

The regs make no distinction between an electronic device with a milliamp button battery and a lithium group 31 size car battery so shippers use the same process for everything. For an individual if the small RE battery is shipped in a discharged state and properly wrapped and packaged I would not specify it as being a lithium one. Where lithium batteries represent a fire hazard is primarily (Samsung phone excepted) when the battery is being charged.

The battery OP is shipping is over 300Wh, I absolutely would not recommend shipping it without following proper guidelines.
Screenshot_20210812-170427__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210812-164120.jpg

I dont see anything in FedEx or UPS guides that says anything like just leave it discharged and pretend it isnt a battery

Yea, I read all of that, it's just not worth it to ship and get caught....I agree, however, ask around, a LOT of people do it, whether they get caught or not is the thing, and that's a whole different discussion.

Yea, I read all of that, it's just not worth it to ship and get caught....I agree, however, ask around, a LOT of people do it, whether they get caught or not is the thing, and that's a whole different discussion.
I hate to be a downer on my first post, but I just couldn't let this one go. I just retired as an international widebody Airline Captain with a major carrier. I have flown both international cargo and international passenger flights for a living for over 30 years. OK, that's my expertise. The shipping rules exist for a reason. These batteries can bring down an airliner if they catch fire. When people ship these things without going through the proper steps, not only are they committing a felony, they are putting many lives at risk. When batteries are properly packed and labeled for air transport, they are handled differently. The location aboard aircraft is extremely important. You don't want a lithium battery next to a flammable substance, obviously, but there other restrictions as well. Anyone that ships a battery without declaring it is saying that their convenience is worth more than other's lives. This is deadly serious stuff. The best thing that can come of not declaring dangerous goods is that the FBI shows up at your door step to throw your ass in jail for a long time--which they will if you get caught. The worst thing that can happen is that you can become a mass murderer. This. Is. NOT. An. Exaggeration.

"When batteries are properly packed and labeled for air transport"
Correctly stated and referenced.

Back