How to actually change settings on Turbo?

jwb

These instructions are nonsense, and the picture contradicts the text. The words say to press to the left, but the image says to press down on center. My model Turbo doesn't even have the brake that integrates with the computer, so it can't be involved either. How do you actually get into the menu?

"To access the setup function of the computer: Press and hold the joystick to the left while squeezing the right-side brake lever. Press the battery power button to turn on the system, then continue to hold the joystick to the left and the brake lever closed for 3 seconds."

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 10.36.16 AM.png

Another PDF on the Specialized site is slightly less contradictory, saying:

• „To access the setup function of the computer (with reed switch): Press and hold the joystick to the left while squeezing the right-side brake lever. Press the battery power button to turn on the system, then continue to hold the joystick to the left and the brake lever closed for 3 seconds. „
  • To access the setup function of the computer (without reed switch): Press the joystick from the top and hold for 10 seconds, while pressing the power button and holding for 3 seconds.

OK so the second method works. I guess I have established that my controller just doesn't have a backlight, or it's always been broken. Turning it on or off makes no difference. :-/

OK so the second method works. I guess I have established that my controller just doesn't have a backlight, or it's always been broken. Turning it on or off makes no difference. :-/
I tried the exact same thing last week with the hope of having the backlight back to life. Same result. Just a fool's hope. Now I need to send the bike some time after the summer to get it replaced. I wonder how many times we will have to replace until this is solved permanently. Is my 2nd screen replacement. I wonder if we should write a letter to Specialized to get this replaced, even after warranty. It seems to be a design problem of the LCD and a permanent issue. Maybe having this setting on, will increase the lifetime of the backlight, but I am almost convinced that replacing the LCD won't solve future problems.

The "Clean Cockpit" control on the later model Turbo, Turbo X, and Turbo S (the original 2013 bikes had a different control) has been a VERY weak point of the entire Turbo line. The joystick is not easy to use and is flimsy and a cause of failure. The backlight also fails, making it hard to read. The cable on the handlebar can get caught and be damaged. This is documented in the sticky post.

Further, on the earlier SRAM/Formula models, the "clean cockpit" has the Formula brake and SRAM shift lever mount integrated, which makes adjusting for viewing angle, brake and shifter positioning a difficult process. I was able to get a broken Formula C1 brake lever and cut off the handle so that I could clamp the brakes and display separately. Further, I had to purchase a Shimano handlebar clamp Deore XTR shifter to make the swap to 11-speed derailleur. I now have three separate clamps on the right side of my handlebar. But everything works ergonomically and I am able to use my thumb to control the bike and shift, see the display ok, and brake with hand positions on the bar end or on the grips.

Aside from getting replacement displays from Specialized under warranty, this is not going to get fixed. In the Vado it has been addressed with a whole new approach in which the "smarts" of the bike are in a center mounted removeable display rather than in the battery.

My backlight is out and I'm working with my dealer to get it fixed.

FWIW, I've recently added a Light & Motion Vis 360+ helmet light (in addition to bar-mounted lights) and it's really useful and as an added benefit it makes it much easier to live without the backlight!

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Do you start by pressing the joy stick first? then press the power button while the bike is already on or off?

Do you start by pressing the joy stick first? then press the power button while the bike is already on or off?
It seems to be, starting with the bike off, press the joystick straight down on center, wait a second, hold the power button for three seconds, release the power button and continue pressing the joystick until the km/h comes up on the display in teensy invisible letters.

Thats exactly what I did, just changed it back and forth, The instructions from the factory are terrible and so vague. A few added words would make things much easier.
Thank you for your help.

Just got my 2015 Turbo X back from having the display replaced (backlight—of course). They even asked if I knew how to change the display from kph to mph. It's not easy for anyone. They eventually figured it out.

What setting do you actually want to change? The only one I regularly mess with is adjusting the assist level in Eco mode and it's pretty easy *if* you can remember which way to move the joystick (if you get it wrong, you are stuck in the temp/version screen and need to power off and stop to get back out).

I just wanted to change the backlight setting, but it turns out my backlight doesn't work.

I just wanted to change the backlight setting, but it turns out my backlight doesn't work.
Send it in. I had the same problem. Back light did not work. Got it replaced...finally (took Specialized a few weeks to get it to the dealer). Not sure how long it will last.

I'm on my 4th one now. My LBS has stocked a few extra just in case. I think once the warranty period expires and it dies in going to just rip it off, snip the wires and use my iPhone to adjust. I leave it in 20-30% eco most of the time anyways to get great range.

It seems to be, starting with the bike off, press the joystick straight down on center, wait a second, hold the power button for three seconds, release the power button and continue pressing the joystick until the km/h comes up on the display in teensy invisible letters.
I was trying to get into the setup tonight and was feeling bewildered that I couldn't make it work (thought I did every variation on interpretation of the instructions that I could). Thanks so much for this clarification; it did the trick for me.

Back