How Small Can Tires Be on an E Bike?

gizmo

Just purchased a Specialized Levo, 2018 model that came with 27.5/2.8 wheel/tire combo. I own a Race Face ARC 29/2.3 wheelset that the Levo can accommodate. But, would the tires be too small for the the hefty bike? I do enjoy the 27.5 tires currently on the bike, but was thinking there might be times the 29ers would be fun.

Just purchased a Specialized Levo, 2018 model that came with 27.5/2.8 wheel/tire combo. I own a Race Face ARC 29/2.3 wheelset that the Levo can accommodate. But, would the tires be too small for the the hefty bike? I do enjoy the 27.5 tires currently on the bike, but was thinking there might be times the 29ers would be fun.

If it ain´t broke don´t fix it

You'll need a programable controller to make the chances for tire circumference. It's also not just the "hefty" bike. It's also the rider, the amount of gear, and riding conditions that factor into tire selection.

If you're not denting your rim on potholes or pavement separators, you have a big enough cross section tire. But at the speeds electric bikes can attain, lots of people are buying 3" or 4" tires for a smoother ride. I'm doing okay at 2.1" and 55 psi at 20 mph max but I think it is marginal. My gross is 320 lb with 50 lb supplies on the back. You may need less cross section with no cargo. More speed, more cross section or higher pressure. 2.1" max pressure is 55 and I've bought 1.75" without looking that only allowed 40 PSI. That banged the rim ~ 8 times in 30 miles with only 5 lb cargo and only 15 mph max. I'm a modest 155 lb.

Last edited:
Hmm. Rich's reply makes John's reply more sensible.

Weight, gear, conditions, & riding style are all worthy of consideration when choosing tires. I just meant if you´re comfortable,
why change. I´ve got at least a dozen lightly used tires hanging in the carport that didn´t quite live up to my expectations. One change
I am happy about was going to a 700/50 marathon on the rear of my CCS. That´s a miniscule change from a 700/47 marathon, but
for a guy my size who regularly tries to destroy his CCS It makes a big difference. That bit of extra tread helps keep the rear wheel
under me on wet road & takes a bit of stress off my spokes in rough terrain. It could just be psychological, but i think I´m getting
a smoother ride too. I wanted to go a bit larger, but 700/50 is the most the stays will accommodate.

Last edited:
Back