How Much Cardio Can You Get From Electric Bikes?

how much cardio do you get?

all depends on how you ride it. I am living proof.

3-2020 I weighted 430lbs. I also have a replacement hip and knee as the result of a motorcycle accident 20 years ago.

oh yeah and since 10-2020 I have 8,300 on my bike and tandem (just ticked off 1,000 on the tandem this past weekend) combined and only put 2,100 on my car in the same time frame, and 1,000 of that was 2 round trips from L.A. to Phoenix.

me in 3-2020 and me Today, My e-bike has everything to do with this transformation.

that is absolutely awesome. really incredible.

the beauty of e-bikes, to me, is that you can get as little or as much of a workout as you can handle or need. i'd never ride an ebike that didn't ride fairly well as a regular bike - otherwise, i'd get a moped, ride my boosted rev, an electric motorcycle, whatever.

in the last three months, i've burned 64,000 calories riding 1,400 miles, only counting rides longer than 10 miles. the bike used 3,075 watt hours, or around 2,600 calories. on my typical rides the bike does around 5% of the work; but it's a critical 5% (up big hills) that allows me to keep my heart rate at an average of 105-110 for all those miles.

if it existed, i would totally buy a lighter, less powerful ebike with something like a 100wH battery and 150-200 watt motor. i bet you could make a 20lb e-road bike that was almost indistinguishable from an acoustic bike.

me in 3-2020 and me Today, My e-bike has everything to do with this transformation.
Now you are a candidate for a fitness e-bike (Specialized Vado SL) :)
Congratulations!

P.S. Once I got from 236 down to 198 pounds, I could not lose my body mass any more despite of long rides, diet and medicines I take. My average contribution to full power Vado rides has been some 26%. With Vado SL, my contribution has reached 59%!

Last edited:
I took a 20 miles ride this morning and there is no doubt I got a substantial amount of exercise. My apple watch and Strava estimated somewhere between 750-1130 calories burned. I don't believe it is incorrect, but even if it was 1/2 that it would be substantial.

One could argue an e-bike is similar to a stationary bike or a spinner in a way. You get to set the amount of difficulty you prefer. I don't hear people saying "Pelotons are cheating and provide no exercise."

I took a 20 miles ride this morning and there is no doubt I got a substantial amount of exercise. My apple watch and Strava estimated somewhere between 750-1130 calories burned. I don't believe it is incorrect, but even if it was 1/2 that it would be substantial.

One could argue an e-bike is similar to a stationary bike or a spinner in a way. You get to set the amount of difficulty you prefer. I don't hear people saying "Pelotons are cheating and provide no exercise."
Are Strava and/or Apple Watch aware you're electrically assisted?

The only calorie burnt information I really trust is one I obtain from power meters of my Vado and Vado SL e-bikes. It was 1800 actual kcal burnt on an 87 mile ride with powerful Vado 5.0, and 1960 actual kcal for a 66 mile ride on Vado SL. My own contribution to the former ride was 31.1%, and it was 53.2% to the latter; anything more was the battery energy (far more kilocalories used for those rides).

1624973867317.png

Full-power Vado 5.0 ride.

1624973787642.png

Vado Super Lightweight 4.0 ride. This e-bike is more intensive for human body effort.

If anybody does not trust the data above. Human body efficiency is estimated to 20%. Therefore (Ride 1), 434.9 Wh of biker energy was used, and that's 374.2 kcal. 374.2 / 1806 = 0.207 (20.7% human body efficiency).

Last edited:
Leaving the motor off forces more heartbeats & calories burned on those 3-5 times a week supply 8 mile runs to the grocery or home store. The beauty of a geared hub motor, it doesn't drag those days power off. Similar benefits accrue from yamaha, brose, shimano steps middrives. But my chain will outlast those brands. I changed the tire on the motor end last month without unwiring - it is not that difficult. One extra torque arm bolt to remove & replace.
I don't use bike electronics. I just weigh with a scale and estimate heart rate. I'm a musician, no heart monitor required. Rest pulse down 6 bpm since winter nadir, weight down 6 lb.
Biking is so low injury in my case. I induced new arthritis in my right elbow last month when a tree damaged the mower & I pulled the start rope 10 or 20 times. Still hurts badly. Mowing with a scythe would be great aerobic exercise, but my joints are not up to that much movement.

Last edited:
I choose the e bike ride on Strava.
That's OK but Strava does not know what e-bike you're riding, with how many Wh added per mile etc. Fancy that you're riding on the throttle only. How many calories have you burnt?

Apple Watch is way off on calories. compared to my gamin and my Nyon that gets my heart rate and my watts. they usually are close to each other maybe 50 calories difference. Apple Watch may be double that. if you got our heart rate upto about 135 to 140 and did that 20 miles in hour or so it maybe around 700 calories

That's OK but Strava does not know what e-bike you're riding, with how many Wh added per mile etc. Fancy that you're riding on the throttle only. How many calories have you burnt?
interestingly, rideWithGPS shows calories burned about 1/3 lower than mission control in my case - presumably it's attempting to estimate from speed and maybe elevation, not able to fully take into account things like wind, efficiency, the nuances of acceleration and balance and starts and stops. it does have heart rate data, which in my case may throw it off because my heart rate is very low.

i use strava to view and collect data, imported from mission control with tracks merged from rwGPS if necessary, and as a result strava displays exactly the same calories that mission control calculates from the torque and cadence sensors.

its not that. my garmin does not know what I am riding and it is pretty close to what my Nyon gives me. its just the way it it calculates calories. I just did the garmin and apple fitness and the nyon. apple got 328 calories garmin 224 and the nyon 230. the average HR using a arm HRM on the nyon and garmin and of course the built in one on the apple watch it had 114 average.
The Nyon should be pretty spot on since it is reading my watts I output and my HR the garmin is right there sometimes it maybe a little off but not a lot. but the apple watch is way off. it also does not pause when you stop so that makes it even more off.

This seems to be a question that comes up a lot; just how much exercise do you get with an electric bike? Many people believe that since these bikes have a motor they leave the rider mostly stationary, similar to scooters or motorcycles. In truth, while electric bikes are not as physically demanding as regular bikes, there is still quite a bit of cardio to be had.

First of all, let's clarify the difference between electric bikes and regular bikes. Electric bikes are bikes that mostly require pedaling to activate the electric motor system. Scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles differ in that the rider does not have to pedal in order to move the bike. Therefore, an electric bike can be seen as an active mode of transport whereas scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles are passive modes of transport.

Many authors have explored the impacts of active transportation modes on physical health. Use of active transportation modes is associated with health benefits such as reduced likelihood of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. (Gordon-Larsen et al., 2009; Pucher et al., 2010). Meaning, any kind of activity that involves movement - and gets you off the couch - is beneficial to your health. A light walk around the block every day can have a tremendous impact on your future health, for example.

People who use active transportation modes (bicycling, electric bikes) for at least some of their commute are also shown to be active in other areas of their life (Terzano and Morckel, 2011). Furthermore, having an active commute can greatly reduce the risk of all-cause mortality and to have other positive benefits such as increasing the number of years lived without cardiovascular disease (Ferrucci et al., 1999; Franco et al., 2005; Jonker et al., 2006). Even if you only commute to work one or two days a week using an active mode of transport, you will see an increase in health, and the odds are you might want to be more active on that day.

Many people who work in an office building suffer from the effects of a sedentary lifestyle. They might have long work hours and a family life that makes it difficult for them to find the time to work out and exercise. This seems to be one of the main complaints office workers have: finding the time to work on themselves! According to statistics, most people live within 35 miles of their workplace; so for a lot of people, this makes biking to work almost impossible. Not only do you have to factor in an extra 30 minutes to an hour in your daily commute, you risk showing up to office meetings completely drenched in sweat. While many workplaces offer a lot of amenities; showers are uncommon and do not seem to be on the rise. Here's where electric bikes change the game; they increase the distance that the rider can commute comfortably and reduce the chances of them showing up sweaty and in disarray.

A recent study by the University of Colorado Boulder suggests that regularly riding an electric bike definitely has health benefits. Though they’re pedal-assist, an e-bike can still give you a workout, improving your cardiovascular health, fitness, and aerobic capacity. Electic bikes are a wonderful alternative for people who are trying to start working out but may not be focused on traditional gym-centric cardio and weight lifting.

The Journal of Transport and Health did a study which focuses on measuring the impact of walking, bicycling, and e-bike riding on a fixed course. This loop course included a diverse mix of terrains to simulate actual real-world exercise. The conclusion of this study involving 17 participants was that e-bikes still require physical activity, although less so than conventional bikes - particularly when going up-hill. In their study, e-bike exertion was about the same as walking, and level of enjoyment was a little higher than walking as rated by the participants.

As stated earlier, using an e-bike demands less energy than a regular bike, however, e-bikes can introduce a more active and physical means of transportation to otherwise sedentary individuals. The study did reveal that one of the perks of e-bikes was that they removed the terrain barriers that would otherwise scare off riders. In hilly environments, an e-bike can allow the rider to get a pretty intense workout while still getting assistance from the motor. It is definitely possible to get winded and feel muscular fatigue, even with a pedal assist electric bicycle.

In addition, e-bikes promote longer trips, trips to multiple destinations (Langford et al., 2013), and have more frequent trips (MacArthur and Kobel, 2016). The added duration of e-bike trips could enhance the health benefits of e-bike riding by allowing the rider to meet or exceed the national guidelines for physical activity.

Unlike drivers of electric cars who worry about “range anxiety,” electric bike owners don’t have to worry about running out of electricity, the e-bike simply turns into a regular bike, assuming the rider has the energy to pedal a bike that weighs 45 to 60 pounds. Batteries typically deliver 20 to 40 miles of assisted riding, and they can be mostly-recharged in a few hours using ordinary power outlets. Therefore, if you're riding within the city and not in a rural setting, the chances of you being able to recharge your bike are pretty high.

In conclusion, a conventional bike might give you the most exercise, but more users report that they end up riding the e-bike more often. The appeal of longer distances and the ability to ride any terrain (and in windy or inclement weather) inspires riders to ride more frequently. If you are looking for intense sweaty cardio, the conventional bike is the way to go. If you want to go on a long road trip without breaking much of a sweat, the e-bike is favorable over a car... and it still delivers many health benefits.

Additionally, electric bikes offer a wonderful way to get out of the house for the elderly or otherwise house-bound or physically limited riders. A greater number of stable three-wheeled electric trikes are catering to to this demographic. Indeed, anything that gets people active and enjoying being outside without using fuel or adding to the daily smog and pollution of vehicular transport is by itself a giant advantage. The fact that you can also get more of a workout than sitting in the driver's seat is an added benefit. Therefore, electric bikes are a great way to increase your daily cardio and will often inspire you to remain active in your life.

Sources:
https://www.bicycling.com/rides/beginners/13-things-you-need-to-know-about-e-bikes/slide/1
https://e360.yale.edu/features/will_electric_bicycles_get_americans_to_start_pedaling
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/static.peopleforbikes.org/docs/Peterman etal 2016 Pedelecs as a physically active transportation mode.pdf
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/fitness/art-20045099
Gordon-Larsen et al. 2009, Active commuting and cardiovascular disease risk: the CARDIA study. PubMed.Gov.
Pucher et al., 2010, Walking and Cycling to Health: A Comparative Analysis of City, State, and International Data
Brian Casey Langford et al., Comparing physical activity of pedal-assist electric bikes with walking and conventional bicycles. Journal of Transport and Health.
Ferrucci et al., 1999; Exploring the effect of depression on physical disability: longitudinal evidence from the established populations for epidemiologic studies of the elderly. PubMed.Gov.
Jonker et al., 2006; Modeling culture in trade: Uncertainty avoidance. Research Gate.
Franco et al., 2005; Effects of physical activity on life expectancy with cardiovascular disease. PubMed.Gov.
Terzano et al. 2011, Walk or Bike to a Healthier Life: Commuting Behavior and Recreational Physical Activity.
Sage Journal.
you can get as much as you´re willing to put into it.

this is why I love my bosch. I can get the same workout at 16mph with no assist at 18 with eco at 22 with tour 24 on sport and about 26 on turbo. these numbers are not exact but I can put the same watts out on all assist leves so I dont have to putt along to get a workout.

Now you are a candidate for a fitness e-bike (Specialized Vado SL) :)
Congratulations!

P.S. Once I got from 236 down to 198 pounds, I could not lose my body mass any more despite of long rides, diet and medicines I take. My average contribution to full power Vado rides has been some 26%. With Vado SL, my contribution has reached 59%!
actually the Turbo Creo SL is more of what I am looking at, but it is well outside of my comfort price range.

Last edited:
Apple Watch is way off on calories. compared to my gamin and my Nyon that gets my heart rate and my watts. they usually are close to each other maybe 50 calories difference. Apple Watch may be double that. if you got our heart rate upto about 135 to 140 and did that 20 miles in hour or so it maybe around 700 calories
The Apple watch has been proven to be one of the most accurate devices for calorie and heart rate tracking. but it all depends on if you have the health app data accurate. your current, height, weight, birthdate, etc. all need to be accurate in the app to be sure the apple is properly reporting.

for a heart rate based calorie burn calculation I can go to any of a dozen online calculators and plug in my average HR for the duration of my cycling commute with my age and weight and the Apple watch will be within +/- 20 calories of the calculation.

I average 138bpm for 65-70 minutes on my commute 38, which is roughly 895 calories per hour, 1044 in 70 minutes on the Mayo Clinic calculator, my apple watch reported 1041 for todays ride, my Wahoo Fitness Tickr arm band HR monitor and its respective app reported 1059 calories for the same side.

I would say the apple watch is accurate.

Are Strava and/or Apple Watch aware you're electrically assisted?

The only calorie burnt information I really trust is one I obtain from power meters of my Vado and Vado SL e-bikes. It was 1800 actual kcal burnt on an 87 mile ride with powerful Vado 5.0, and 1960 actual kcal for a 66 mile ride on Vado SL. My own contribution to the former ride was 31.1%, and it was 53.2% to the latter; anything more was the battery energy (far more kilocalories used for those rides).

Full-power Vado 5.0 ride.

Vado Super Lightweight 4.0 ride. This e-bike is more intensive for human body effort.

If anybody does not trust the data above. Human body efficiency is estimated to 20%. Therefore (Ride 1), 434.9 Wh of biker energy was used, and that's 374.2 kcal. 374.2 / 1806 = 0.207 (20.7% human body efficiency).

not sure why it would matter if the app knows you are on an e-bike or not, the calories burned on the apple watch are determined by heart rate over a duration of time, it doesn't care if you are on an ebike or a regular bike,

if you are throttle only at 25mph and your HR is 70bpm, it is going to reflect that you are not actually exercising. I average 138bpm with the electric assist, closer to 155bpm when PAS is completely turned off and the calorie count and metrics are different.

I have even tested the apple watch by choosing cycling then driving in my car, and it 100% determines I am not exercising and shows HR at 58bpm and calories burned in that distance and time to be very low (like 50-100) vs. the bike that shows 800-1000 because my BPM is north of 130.

I have never found it accurate it is always way off. it does not pause when you stop it always off on mileage on climbs on average speed. all my garmins and Nyon and Kiox all are about the same the apple watch is way off always. I wish I burned as many calories as it thinks i did I could eat like a horse. all my vitals are recorded in heath as I take them so they are right on. even daily changes. it is only since the newest watch came out that HR was recorded in real time. The Nyon is the only one that measures my watts so it should be the most accurate of all. the apple watch is between my garmin and not using HR at all on the garmin.

So then here was my apple watch data for my morning ride:

20.19 miles
1:20:45
Active Calories: 942
Total Calories: 1130
Avg. Heart Rate: 117
Average Speed 15 MPH

Whether is exactly on or not I am definitely significantly tired from the ride. I would say I am more tired than I would normally be from a morning swim of 1k meters (which is a solid workout for me).

Last edited:
In addition to the charge bars, my display had a bar that crosses the screen showing how much
power is in use. Except when coasting, I pedal 99% of the time. As I´ve grown attuned to gear use.
the bike uses less & less power. Much of the time I´m moving a 60 pd. bike without using any juice.
This bike encourages me to pedal stronger. Today I did 12 mi. without losing a single charge bar.
If that were consistent, I could get 60+ miles to a charge on a bike that;s only rated for 40 max.

OK. I'm following this thread. I know absolutely nothing about the whole heart maintenance thing. But if I'm going to ride, I may as well do my (high blood pressure)(heart) some good. ..

Back