How much battery is being used when coasting?

PlanBee

Region
United Kingdom
If I coast downhill (or indeed ride at say >30kmh) I know I am not getting any assist, but am I consuming battery if I am in say assist level 1. Do I need to go into zero assist to maximise my range

And if I do go to zero, will the electric motor drag? Or is this still the case in level 1

This is for a bike in the EU/UK, I know for example you can get assist at a higher speed in the US.

If you have a mid drive bike or a geared hub drive, you don't use any power IF you are coasting, not pedaling and not using any throttle, if you have one, other than the very small amount of power for the electronics. For a direct drive hub, IDK.

I have a hub drive, no throttle. To be clear, even if I am beyond the restricted speed, if I pedal am I still consuming battery?

I have a hub drive, no throttle. To be clear, even if I am beyond the restricted speed, if I pedal am I still consuming battery?
I would say a negligible amount if any at all.
But since there are so many different motors/controller sets out there.. I would say the only way to know for sure is to put a power meter on the battery output.
If your display has a voltage readout... any sag is an indicator of current flowing.

This said... I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Back