PAS drops out when I hit a sharp bump...

miscon1618

Region
USA
I'm 1700 miles away from home with my Aventon Level. I've ridden this thing over 2500 miles with near zero problem. However, I've been riding some mountain trail that get a little rough. I've started having a lot of problems with the PAS level dropping to zero and loosing assist when I would hit a sharp bump. The display doesn't go off... it just drops to PAS zero. I've tried everything I know. I've also tried to duplicate the problem when I'm at home by dropping the bike on the front tire and back tire really hard and I can't duplicate the problem.... Any suggestions to save my trip???

Are the wires damaged where they are exposed under the bottom bracket?

Are the wires damaged where they are exposed under the bottom bracket?
They look fine.. I've tried cleaning all connectors I can find. The only thing different on this week long trip, is that I purchased a second battery from Aventon and that is what I've been running. On fairly smooth ground it's no problem, but when I start an incline that may have some walnut sized rocks, it starts the drop out. To recover, i just punch it back up to pas 1 or 2 and continue. But it's getting to be a real nuisance and potentially dangerous. I've reinstalled the old battery to see how tomorrow goes.

Oh, PAS drops to 0? Sorry, I misinterpreted that as "assist goes away", I forgot the cadence sensor bikes use PAS numbers.

I've seen complaints about (and experienced myself) the Aventure.2 going to "OFF" when hitting bumps. I've never seen anyone claim to know the cause. It's not all bumps though. When it does happen, it seems to happen in clusters.

Hope the problem isn't a loose connection inside the OP's new battery.

Oh, PAS drops to 0? Sorry, I misinterpreted that as "assist goes away", I forgot the cadence sensor bikes use PAS numbers.
So does my torque-sensing hub-drive, and I prefer it that way. Numbers make more sense to me than some of the equally arbitrary assist preset names I see on this forum. At least you know the rank order at a glance.

Hope the problem isn't a loose connection inside the OP's new battery.

So does my torque-sensing hub-drive, and I prefer it that way. Numbers make more sense to me than some of the equally arbitrary assist preset names I see on this forum. At least you know the rank order at a glance.
Ok…. Today didn’t start out much better. Then it started throwing error codes and I had to stop on the trail. I hall sensor error and a over temp error. I reached down to feel the hub motor and it didn’t feel too hot. But I noticed the hub connector was hot. I pulled the connector apart and there were two pins bent to the point I don’t see how they could have made connection. I straighten the best I could and reassembled the connector. That was it. All was fine after that.

I've seen complaints about (and experienced myself) the Aventure.2 going to "OFF" when hitting bumps. I've never seen anyone claim to know the cause. It's not all bumps though. When it does happen, it seems to happen in clusters.
I wonder if that's related to the sloppy weak spring loaded nib used to hold the battery in, and the plague of people just having the battery fall out the side. Been wondering if they fixed that on the Aventure 2, and if the Abound is similarly screwed up since it seems to use the same battery.

Started happening to me and killed one of my batteries. That I ended up eating as their shite support never got back to me and now I'm out of warranty, partly thanks to their equally shite website. I swear they ran out the clock on purpose.

The odd part was it happened not when I hit a bump, but whenever I came to a stop.
A lot of people suggest using velcro straps, but for the Aventure I've found 9" bungee cords with the locking ball generally used for camping are a perfect fit to hold the battery in. Seems to stop the random power offs and of course, the thing falling out completely.

And you can get a ten pack of varying sizes for like ten bucks off amazon. Useful for so many different things.

The 9" ones are a perfect fit around the downtube and battery.

If it's even just lifting up a bit, maybe it's disconnecting power just long enough to screw things up.

Back