How many people would consider a solar panel for their ebike?

Would you consider a solar panel for your ebike?

• Sure

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

Bingxie Zhang

Hello everyone

This is the solar bike upgrade I did for my bike. Full instruction and parts list on instrucatbles.

1sESthDv7Z5Xdi8S2

F1AOPTMJ0SEKYD4.MEDIUM.jpg

rzYUPrtivMUahDWu1

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sun-...-Bike-Upgrade/

Does anyone would like to see an commercial version? If so, please check out www.solarbaskets.com.

Faq

How much did the new hardware cost in total?
$250.

Where can I buy the following parts?
  • Solar Panel: Amazon $100
  • Control: Amazon $45
  • Wire Frame Rack: Amazon $50

How long did it take you to put it all together?
one days

What is the power rating of the Solar Panel? (Output: 12 – 18VDC)
50 Watt IPmax 2.7A VPmax 18Volt

What is the power rating of the battery?
24Volt Battery 8AH (5 hours to fully charge)
15 mile range on electric motor alone, 30 miles on power assist mode

What is the Power rating of the Regulator? (Input: ??) (Output: ??)
Adjustable Output 14-60 volt, 10A maximum

How much heavier is the bike now?
12lb heavier

Last edited:
Fought my way 23 miles to Charlestown yesterday against a 10 mph wind. Wind was not predicted to change direction to headwind until after the funeral. Wrong! Average speed 8 mph pedaling. No way I'm putting that big a sail on my bike. **** I wish the power wheel had not burned out last month in the 60th mile. Buying anything made in ***** is really a dice game. Rolled seven this time, also the first battery failed after 11 miles.
Where do you live that you don't have winds? Houston? I lived there 26 years, it was in the horse lattitudes for sure.

Last edited:
Fought my way 23 miles to Charlestown yesterday against a 10 mph wind. Wind was not predicted to change direction to headwind until after the funeral. Wrong! Average speed 8 mph pedaling. No way I'm putting that big a sail on my bike. **** I wish the power wheel had not burned out last month in the 60th mile. Buying anything made in ***** is really a dice game. Rolled seven this time, also the first battery failed after 11 miles.
Where do you live that you don't have winds? Houston? I lived there 26 years, it was in the horse lattitudes for sure.

50Watt Panel is 22"x21.3" just enough to cover the bike rear basket. The panel is not going to drive motor directly, it is more of park and charge anywhere range extension system.

If you're going to use it when parking, you probably are better off carrying a charger and plugging it in. I do see from your other post that this is a study project especially for people away from the grid, so I expect you will discover the limits of your kit, if you're in the northern hemisphere, now that there's less sun.

In my opinion, solar panels are too big and heavy to be worth it for most applications. I know of a guy who put one on his tadpole trike and is happy with it, and I’ve seen a system designed for the Pedego Stretch that seems cool. It’s just not for me.

Back