How many miles do you have on your Brose system?

if it didn’t require a change of the drive belt every 15K kms
It looks my Vado might be good for 3-5 years. If the failure happens within 3 years from the purchase, I get it covered by the warranty. I'd rather worry about the battery and it doesn't depend on the motor make 😊

They were a troublesome system, but BionX was most fun of all the motors we sell. Really torquey:) Shimano is nice and trouble free for the most part, and I would say second to Brose for smoothness. New Bosch are smoother than old ones. The old ones were just so rough and clunky. I have no experience with the Yamaha motors. Never see them around here and no requests for them. We now have a Giant dealer in town so Yamaha may start appearing. But he is not noted for service, so we will see how that goes.

Hi there! I live in Denver and also have cabin in Grand Lake (Rocky Mtn Natl Park west entrance). Been riding Vado 6 for several years averaging almost 10,000 miles each year! And most of it climbing from Grand Lake (el 8400) to the top of RMNP and over 4000 feet elevation change in 24 miles (all UP). It's great bike and I've generally been very satisfied with performance. Really the only issues I've experienced have been occasional no power to pedals while riding and occasional no power to pedals at start up. Both issues require restart and problem disappears. Each year over winter lbs sends motor to Specialized and they do the overhaul --- $100. Happy to provide more info... more fun than the law should allow! Oh, did I mention I'm 76?
That is totally awesome Bud! Wow, I had no idea that servicing the motor is only $100. I would have thought that it would be much more expensive. How many miles do you have on your Vado? I think it is great that you can get 10,000 miles before service. I think all the stories of people having so many problems are from people who use too low of a cadence and ride turbo all the time. What average speed would you say that you go on your Vado? I probably go about 18 or less most of the time.

Thanks,
Rick

That is totally awesome Bud! Wow, I had no idea that servicing the motor is only $100. I would have thought that it would be much more expensive. How many miles do you have on your Vado? I think it is great that you can get 10,000 miles before service. I think all the stories of people having so many problems are from people who use too low of a cadence and ride turbo all the time. What average speed would you say that you go on your Vado? I probably go about 18 or less most of the time.

Thanks,
Rick
@Ricky why do you think riding low cadence and on turbo mode causes issue?
I do ride turbo mode most of the time. Not sure what is considered low cadence.
thanks for elaboration.

Hi Ricky! On this bike (Vado 6) I've got approx 28,000 miles. I ride in Eco most of the time but only after reaching "cruising speed" in Sport or Turbo. My speed is usually in the 17-19 mph range other than steep hills (mountains) or strong headwinds. Riding Turbo all the time will certainly reduce range but not sure it's the cause of "all the problems." Keep on truckin...

Bud,
Wow, those are some great miles. I have a 2018 6.0 and also a second ebike, so I switch depending on the group I ride with. Yes, this bike seems to cruise along effortlessly at 17-20 mph (27-32kpg), mostly in Sport mode. It will be some years before I get that many miles on it. It’s my go to bike for long stretches on the bike trails 😃🚴🏾‍♂️😎.

@Ricky why do you think riding low cadence and on turbo mode causes issue?
I do ride turbo mode most of the time. Not sure what is considered low cadence.
thanks for elaboration.
Hi, What I mean is that you want your legs going 80-90rpm on the pedals, if you are in turbo and going slowly but putting more torque into the pedals, then the Brose motor is doing more work and it is also harder on the teeth on the belt. More torque from you + turbo (multiplies your torque by 300%) means much more stress on everything.
If you are going a higher cadence you are putting less torque in the pedals so the motor doesn't have to output as much. The middle setting also multiplies your leg torque by 100%.

Power is torque times rpm so if you are pedaling at 50rpm instead of 90rpm you need to put 1.8 times the torque into the pedals to generate the same amount of power. Since the e-bike motor measures the torque you are putting into the pedals 1000x per second and then multiplies it by some factor spinning at a higher rpm is not only better for your joints (especially knees) it is also better for the e-bike motor and belt. Does this make sense?

Hi, What I mean is that you want your legs going 80-90rpm on the pedals, if you are in turbo and going slowly but putting more torque into the pedals, then the Brose motor is doing more work and it is also harder on the teeth on the belt. More torque from you + turbo (multiplies your torque by 300%) means much more stress on everything.
If you are going a higher cadence you are putting less torque in the pedals so the motor doesn't have to output as much. The middle setting also multiplies your leg torque by 100%.

Power is torque times rpm so if you are pedaling at 50rpm instead of 90rpm you need to put 1.8 times the torque into the pedals to generate the same amount of power. Since the e-bike motor measures the torque you are putting into the pedals 1000x per second and then multiplies it by some factor spinning at a higher rpm is not only better for your joints (especially knees) it is also better for the e-bike motor and belt. Does this make sense?
Very well explained. The question remains that motor not assisting/responding at times is attributed to riding with low cadence and turbo mode?
In other word Brose is fragile enough to stop working properly due to this riding style at low miles when it is still fairly new?
Why do you think high cadence is better for knees? Doesn’t it cause more friction on the joints?
Thanks for sharing these good info.

Why do you think high cadence is better for knees? Doesn’t it cause more friction on the joints?
By spinning the cranks fast, you need to deliver less torque to the cranks. That means your legs exert less force on the pedals and of course the load on your knees is lighter. Lance Armstrong was the champion of "spinning" although his rpm's would be too fast for the most of motors of today :D

Very well explained. The question remains that motor not assisting/responding at times is attributed to riding with low cadence and turbo mode?
In other word Brose is fragile enough to stop working properly due to this riding style at low miles when it is still fairly new?
Thanks for sharing these good info.
No, just the opposite. Even if you don't have an e-bike you want your legs spinning fast. Low cadence causes stress on your knees and other joints and makes you more likely to get an injury. I find that I am constantly shifting gears to keep my cadence up. Many people ride bicycles in way too high of a gear which puts a lot of stress on chain, cassette, and body.

I just did a google search and found this article which explains things nicely. Another benefit of a higher cadence better bloodflow to muscles.

Last edited:
No doubt higher cadence (70's - 80's) will prove better for knees and certainly more efficient power. However (and it happens to me too often), power failure to the pedals is caused by internal fault that Specialized has not been able to solve. I find it also occurs at start-up where everything works except there is no power to pedals. Restart has always corrected the issue, but what a pain!!!

However (and it happens to me too often), power failure to the pedals is caused by internal fault that Specialized has not been able to solve. I find it also occurs at start-up where everything works except there is no power to pedals. Restart has always corrected the issue, but what a pain!!!
Perhaps your bike requires the software update?

No doubt higher cadence (70's - 80's) will prove better for knees and certainly more efficient power. However (and it happens to me too often), power failure to the pedals is caused by internal fault that Specialized has not been able to solve. I find it also occurs at start-up where everything works except there is no power to pedals. Restart has always corrected the issue, but what a pain!!!
I have an iZip Moda with the Brose motor. It is VERY similar to the Specialized Vado as I also rented a Vado for a day in Colorado springs on vacation. I have only had the no power to the pedals a couple of times in 1500 miles. It has been solved by turning off and on again. I think the longer the bike is turned off and not used the higher the likely hood of it occurring. I also had problems with the chain coming off, it started out fine and starting happening much more often after about 500 miles on the bike. I bought a narrow-wide front chainring and once that was on I have never had the chain jump off again.

Vado 3.0 2108 build with 5,400 mi. and no issues. In first few hundred miles I thought I was hearing things from the motor and took it to lbs who found nothing and with time this sounds just the motor doing its thing.

It is nice to hear there is a reasonably priced motor rebuild program. As I will be reaching 10,000 within warranty, do not see reason to make use of that service, but as soon as the warranty runs out, off it will go.

Needless to say, the Brose/Specialized motor has given excellent performance and looks to out run the warranty despite heavy usage.

730 miles on my 2019 BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro. So far no problems (knock on wood), and I'm loving riding more and more. Love the quiet, smooth motor, and I especially love not fearing any hill.

Back