How long can you expect an e-bike to last?

lenajc

I know the answer may be variable depending on the bike and parts, but generally speaking, how long can you expect an e-bike to last? Assuming you get one with a Bosch, Brose or Yamaha motor (the kind available on Trek, Specialized, Electra and Giant bikes), how long can you reasonable expect to keep that bike, with whatever the general maintenance is, before needing to replace it? 5 years? I guess the battery might need replacement first. I don't know how much that costs, maybe $500? Just some questions I had before I refine how much I am willing to shell out for my first e-bike. Thanks.

I have owned three ebikes (all with German motors). All were from major manufacturers; all were serviced according to the log book requirements.

Average lifespan before catastrophic failure: less than one year.

By 'catastrophic' I mean 'unable to be ridden' and requiring major repair (always with long delay). I have not included any problem that could be associated with a regular bike. Punctures and chain/belt drive failures have been excluded as have all issues related to expected wear and tear.

In short, each of my ebikes failed in a manner that could not have been foreseen, or prevented, by me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you properly care for your bike, and properly care for your batteries (how to do so has been beaten to death on this forum), and purchase a high-quality bike you should expect the bike to last much more than five years.

Although there are three caveats:
  • Even if you properly care for your batteries, you should expect some deterioration over time. The jury is still out on exactly how much but I'd estimate a 20% reduction in capacity in five years is probably in the ballpark.
  • Some frame materials (aluminum and carbon fiber) have a limited lifespan (for aluminum this is estimated at 5 to 10 years):
  • You should expect to replace many parts of the bike (tires, brake pads, brake rotors, chains) much more frequently than every 5 years, I personally go through two sets of tires every year.

What makes you keep buying, if you don't mind me asking?
Apart from failures attributable to motor, battery or the link between them, my ebikes gave – past tense because I have no working ebike at the moment – me 28,000 km of enjoyment in just under three years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned three ebikes (all with German motors). All were from major manufacturers; all were serviced according to the log book requirements.

Average lifespan before catastrophic failure: less than one year.

By 'catastrophic' I mean 'unable to be ridden' and requiring major repair (always with long delay). I have not included any problem that could be associated with a regular bike. Punctures and chain/belt drive failures have been excluded as have all issues related to expected wear and tear.

In short, each of my ebikes failed in a manner that could not have been foreseen, or prevented, by me.

Was that covered under warranty?

There was a Riese owner who got I think 19k km before a failure, and under pretty harsh touring conditions.

Well that doesn't make me hopeful. What makes you keep buying, if you don't mind me asking?

Keep in mind he's a power user. Not sure a Bosch, Brose or Yamaha motor lasts longer than say a Bafang mid drive. They may be more refined in terms of torque sensing and in other regards like app support. Your cost of replacement battery is quite a bit off, For example, I just picked up a BH Easy Motion closeout with Yamaha PW and 400wh battery for $727 + shipping. A 500wh replacement battery is $800! That's more than I paid for the bike, lol, granted the bike was an amazing deal.

For grins I asked Frey how much it would cost for a 840wh spare battery for my Frey CC. Cost is $420.

I think my 2019 Giant should last a minimum of 6-7 years, putting 2,500-3,000 miles a year on the bike (already has 2k miles on it at 9 months). My 2nd battery (carried for rides over 50 miles) cost $400 used (used only twice so pretty much new). A brand new unusued battery for my bike - 400wH - is $900. Batteries are not cheap.

In 5 years I'm sure I'll have a new bike (because "shiny new technology" amiright?) and won't be riding the old one near as much anymore.

Time degrades batteries more than usage. I have two 20 mile lithium batteries for my converted (hub drive) that are 4 years old and both are doing great. Still optimum charge. Kept indoors when not in use. Hub drive is doing fantastic, too. I expect a 10 year use out of that front hub and throttle on the converted bike. Maybe more. The bike itself is over 23 years old and still road worthy.

Apart from failures attributable to motor, battery or the link between them, my ebikes gave – past tense because I have no working ebike at the moment – me 28,000 km of enjoyment in just under three years.
I know, they are fun to ride! I hope you were able to utilize the warranty!

I think my 2019 Giant should last a minimum of 6-7 years, putting 2,500-3,000 miles a year on the bike (already has 2k miles on it at 9 months). My 2nd battery (carried for rides over 50 miles) cost $400 used (used only twice so pretty much new). A brand new unusued battery for my bike - 400wH - is $900. Batteries are not cheap.

In 5 years I'm sure I'll have a new bike (because "shiny new technology" amiright?) and won't be riding the old one near as much anymore.

Time degrades batteries more than usage. I have two 20 mile lithium batteries for my converted (hub drive) that are 4 years old and both are doing great. Still optimum charge. Kept indoors when not in use. Hub drive is doing fantastic, too. I expect a 10 year use out of that front hub and throttle on the converted bike. Maybe more. The bike itself is over 23 years old and still road worthy.
I'm hoping the e-bike will last me for at least 5 years without needing to repurchase a battery. Keeping indoors is probably good advice, especially in Austin, Texas.

I'm hoping the e-bike will last me for at least 5 years without needing to repurchase a battery.
That's a reasonable expectation in relation to a) how long the battery ought to last and b) how long it will serve you.

My first ebike was a Haro hybrid with a Bionx kit that I used for a year and then sold to my co-worker. Bike was purchased in 2010 and co-worker used it until around 2016 or 2017 when the battery had degraded to the point where it wasn't that usable. Now this was a direct drive hub so it probably would have kept going and going. He didn't want to shell out for a new battery and just converted it back to use as a regular bike.

Second ebike is my Juiced CCS with a geared hub motor. I've had the bike just over 2 years and ridden it almost 8,000 km's. Have had normal wear and tear items to replace i.e. cassette, chain, tires, brake pads (lots of brake pads). Bike appears to be still going strong.

Most recent bike is a Specialized Creo. I've only had the bike 2 weeks and only 300 km's on it so far. I'm hoping it lasts a long time. I'm hoping the fact that it's got a low power output bodes well for longevity.

It seems like I see the mid-drive motors, especially those brands like Bosch, being referred to in the forums as the higher end motors associated with the far more expensive bikes and the geared hub motors as being cheaper and associated with cheaper, entry level bikes. I’m on pace to ride 6,000 miles this year on my Rad Rover. I guess I’ll contact Rad to ask about expected life expectancy on these motors. I was hoping for two or three years. Or do mid-drive motors not last as long?

Of course it’s expected to replace all the other things like brake pads, tires, etc with high mileage. And the batteries too. I’d assumed the motors could be expected to last longer.

Aside from the fact that it's currently sold out, the Juiced replacement *wheel* is $350, seems reasonable and competitive.

I'm forever perplexed as to why the big legacy brands only offer mid-drive motors that are expensive and perhaps no more reliable... thereby ceding the market to Rad, Juiced, et al. Perhaps because they only lose market share in the US, and the fatter margins/lower liability from pricey mid-drives, plus the anti-Chinese tarriffs in Europe, more than make up for it.

Juiced motor wheel: https://www.juicedbikes.com/collections/electrical/products/motor-built-on-wheel-700c

@Beardystarstuff, I'm reminded of how when the Lexus LS400 (Toyota's flagship luxury sedan) came to market with (correct) claims of superior reliability, vs the German competition in flagship sedans from BMW, Mercedes and Audi. The latter said luxury cars are inescapably higher maintenance. Toyota shredded all that, and to this day, seasoned car mechanics will tell you the LS400 is bulletproof when it comes to reliability, so long as you do the recommended maintenance. (Plus the Lexus was $20-30k cheaper.)

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that direct drive hub motors last a really long time and given their simplicity there's not much to break down. Now, I didn't like how heavy the direct drive hub motor was. I found that a low power direct drive hub wasn't very good climbing hills, which is the main reason I wanted an electric bike. I also found the high weight of DD hub adversely affected handling to the point where I didn't like riding it.

But if reliability if your highest priority then I think DD hub is the best choice. But I will defer to those who have a lot more experience here.

Mid drives are more efficient and climb better and feel more like a bike. I think the cheaper brands plan on their bikes being disposable.
Snapping chains isn't the height of efficiency. Nor are overpriced 400 wh batteries. (Bigger battery -> shallower discharge -> longer battery lifespan/more cycles)

I think the cheaper brands plan on their bikes being disposable.
And yet they offer replacement parts... Plus reports are very mixed on which one is more disposable, as this thread shows.

Mid drives are more efficient and climb better and feel more like a bike. I think the cheaper brands plan on their bikes being disposable.
I can’t compare as I’ve not ridden a mid-drive. I have several 10 to 11 degree hills on my daily ride and the Rover has no problem at all with them. I like exercise so I tend to keep it in PAS 2 and the granny gear but I could pretty easily bump it to PAS 3 or 4 and top the hill with little work. Riding yesterday with a friend on a regular bike and at the top of the hill I was one handed and talking away as he rode out of breath. Maybe if I were in other regions with steeper, longer hills I’d notice a deficiency but not here.

In no way does the Rover seem like it is intended to be a disposable bike so I’d certainly push back on that notion.

I think I’m generally seeing a lot of bias against “cheaper” brands that use hub motors. Here and elsewhere. Recently listening to an episode of the excellent podcast Bike Here I cut off half-way through when the interview became a bit snobby about this very topic. Expensive Bosch motors being dependable and cheap bikes with hub motors not being something people should buy unless they’re forced to. I noted that when they discussed the benefits of the mid drives they made no mention of the downsides such as the extra wear on the drivetrain.

Thanks @Asher good to know the replacement cost on a replacement wheel may not be too bad!

Last edited:
Snapping chains isn't the height of efficiency. Nor are overpriced 400 wh batteries. (Bigger battery -> shallower discharge -> longer battery lifespan/more cycles)

And yet they offer replacement parts... Plus reports are very mixed on which one is more disposable, as this thread shows.
Snapping chains is not about efficiency but about technology that’s behind still on e bikes. If you need a larger battery to go the same distance it’s kind of a moot point. Bosch has the best battery warranty out there. But do you think you can get the parts for a rad in 5 years? Who knows?

Back