How important is having a local bike shop?

twelle

Region
USA
Aging long time bicycle rider looking at new e-bike for self and spouse. Current bikes are a Trek 7.5 FX and a Giant Cypress SL. After reading a significant number of reviews we went and checked out an Aventon Level.2 at the LBS. We live in a hilly area and I am concerned that the hub drive might not have sufficient torque. No, I do not live close enough to actually test. I want to keep the cost down to around $3k ea if possible.

So, I'm looking at a Yamaha CrossCore RC as my favorite on paper but there no Yamaha bike dealers within 250 mi. We have multiple Trek, Giant, Specialized dealers in the local area. The Giant Explore E+2 GTS is a contender. I have good mechanical/electrical skills.

So, the million $$ question... Are the new Yamaha e-bikes reliable enough that I should consider not having local dealership support for any potential warranty issues?

bikes require maintenance and occasionally repair - if you’re comfortable doing most of that yourself, relying on longer trips or shipping for more exotic issues, go for it! if you have enough local shops you may ask around and see if any are comfortable working on the electronic/motor parts of the crosscore. as the pandemic bike boom has tapered off, a few more shops are willing to work on e-bikes they didn’t sell.

since the crosscore is a mid drive, anything brake, tire, and wheel related will be very standard. anything crank, bottom bracket, or frame related will be somewhat nonstandard. motor and electronics failures will likely require yamaha intervention. this is a very small sample size (15 previous gen yamaha motors) but it shows three motor failures, one early and two at 10,000+ miles. how upset will you be if the motor fails and it takes a few weeks or months to get it sorted?

Where are you located? I'm in NJ and I see that most Yamaha motorcycle dealers also stock and sell the Yamaha ebikes. Worth it to see if the motorcycle dealers that sell Yamaha sell their ebikes as well. And if they do, discuss with them their ability to service the Yamaha ebike for a warranty issue or even a trouble code.

I have a Haibike Full FatSix I bought in early spring 2017. It has the older PW drive and external battery. That motor is the jump point for every motor model that superceded it. Now coming up on 19 thousand miles on the odometer. Up until now, absolutely no troubles. But I have noted in recent months, the front chain ring has play in it, indicative of worn internal motor bearings. And now the torque sensor is getting a little noisy and kicking in a bit harsher. No codes. I plan on addressing these issues in the coming new year; by myself and armed with the Performance Line Bearings video that shows how the motor is broken down and the bearings replaced.

I do my bike maintenance and adjustments using the great Park Tool videos found on youtube.

If I were in the market for another ebike (I'm not, the Haibike still runs as good as the day I bought it from Crazy Lenny's); it would be another Yamaha powered ebike.

This site has a forum for most every ebike brand, including Yamaha. Look there to get an idea of the service the Yamaha ebike has given it's owners (troubles, too...) Link: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/yamaha/

I'm a DIY'er as well and do all my own work. There are very few LBS in my rural area and none carried, nor would work on, any of the bikes I was interested in. When bike shopping, one of my requirements was to see if the manufacturer would deal with me directly instead of having to go through a dealer for parts & warranty service.

Might be worth checking out.

Like your current bikes? They're a great comfortable fit? Decent mechanic and prefer to be self reliant? Consider a kit conversion.

Had researched a BAFANG kit but prefer to have a torque sense as opposed to cadence. Although we like our current bikes, we are both in later 60's and find getting our leg over the bar can be a challenge. Additionally, neither bike has disc brakes.

No bike shops where I live so I had no choice. I did find that there are lots of how to videos that cover just about anything regarding ebikes. So far I've managed OK with things like tire, brake, & chain repair/replacement as well as basic adjustments and installing various accessories. The bike I chose was a 2020 Rad Rover step through. Parts and accessories for that bike have been easy to find and it's been a very reliable bike with a little over 4,000 miles thus far. It's easily handled any hills in my area. If you've been riding regular bikes where you live I would think most any ebike would be a huge improvement on your hills.

Had researched a BAFANG kit but prefer to have a torque sense as opposed to cadence. Although we like our current bikes, we are both in later 60's and find getting our leg over the bar can be a challenge. Additionally, neither bike has disc brakes.
In my experience and with a dozen personal builds, disc brakes aren't needed at bicycle speeds.
TSDZ2 gives you torque sensing.
But I get the step through need. I'll never buy another top bar frame.
I dislike many commercial eBikes due to the lack of a throttle.

Others here have found some factory-direct bikes that are sustainable. @PedalUma @AHicks @Gordon71 @Mr. Coffee @6zfshdb and a few more members typically have the most sensible approaches.

Unfortunately, we all have a tendency to think our choice is the best, but there is a core group of helpful and very experienced members.

Have fun!

In my experience and with a dozen personal builds, disc brakes aren't needed at bicycle speeds.
TSDZ2 gives you torque sensing.
But I get the step through need. I'll never buy another top bar frame.
I dislike many commercial eBikes due to the lack of a throttle.

Others here have found some factory-direct bikes that are sustainable. @PedalUma @AHicks @Gordon71 @Mr. Coffee @6zfshdb and a few more members typically have the most sensible approaches.

Unfortunately, we all have a tendency to think our choice is the best, but there is a core group of helpful and very experienced members.

Have fun!
Thanks!!

I support my local bike shops. It is important and something I value for my community. Like having a local book seller, a bike shop is in line with my values, so that means it is worth investing in. Some bikes can be ordered online but I would rather do that in person. I just ordered a bike today to convert to stealth electric. It is a black step-thru and I will do all red housings and electrical. I will also upgrade the rim brakes to mountain rim brakes. It will get a silver bell and cupholder. I paid $449. It is a Public C7. Shipping is free to the lower 48. I think that black is unisex but the bike comes in 11 colors including pink aka blush. Red housings pop. I will reuse the cover of the chainring and will use polished crank arms and will upgrade the pedals and maybe use black & tan gravel tires. Public bikes are on a 30% off sale today.
1669838732048.jpeg

I have one or two LBS nearby that say they'll work on any (decent, not WM quality) brand of ebike, so I bought a Ride1Up figuring I can get it serviced when necessary. In other words, the parts have to be obtainable and it can't be a "throwaway" unit. Yamaha certainly is good quality. Check with your bike stores in town, maybe they aren't all stuck-up.

I have a 3 year old Yamaha PW-SE powered bike with about 2500 miles on it with no problems, I think it is a solid system. If you go with Yamaha I'd make sure that walk assist is enabled if that feature is important to you. It wasn't on my BH gravel bike and I talked to a person with a Yamaha bike who told me it wasn't enabled on his bike either.
Most people aren't that DIY willing but the Tongsheng TSDZ2 aftermarket motor that Pedaluma uses is also a solid torque sensing mid drive, if DIY is your thing. I have a couple with ~3000 miles total on them with no problems.
Maybe a best buy based on features is Priority Current. Powerful torque sensing mid drive, as light at 53# as the Yamaha CrossCore you mention. Belt drive with IGH. Purchased from Costco Next, with Shimano IGH (I'm not a big fan of Nuvinci CVT option and have had two of those hubs, one failed) it is something like $2400 (with a 10% discount until tomorrow 12/1). Lots of info on this bike from owners on EBR (although I haven't followed them other than a quick glance on occasion).

How good are you at troubleshooting electrical systems? If you are good at it, buy anywhere. Not so good, then it's great to have a local shop for check ups, diagnostics, and warranty claims.

How good are you at troubleshooting electrical systems? If you are good at it, buy anywhere. Not so good, then it's great to have a local shop for check ups, diagnostics, and warranty claims.
plus things you may not have the tools to do. its not always practical to buy a tool for a job you may only do once.

The Yamaha motors are great, reliable motors, I really like them. You will probably have to deal with chains, cassettes and other parts of the bike before any motor issues.
If you are comfortable replacing a chain, adjusting brakes, replacing a cassette, etc. you should be able to keep your bike on the road.
When you will get bit is when something major happens and you need warranty work.

example? Plus it kinda depends on how expensive the tool.
tool to fix bent detailer hanger is one. with the cheap e bikes now they don't usually need much in the way of expensive tools because the parts are pretty much disposable and the bikes wont lasting enough for a lot of what's needed. for me like my dt Swiss hubs when they heed bearings I would ether need to buy a 250.00 kit of take it to the shop. better to have the shop do it as I doubt I would every recoup the cost.

It is also a social thing, like a local sports bar but healthy. The folks all know your name and are inside baseball geeks, but about bikes. So if you go in just to buy a bell you will talk with seven people over a half-hour. And listen to the geeks talk and argue about their latest build with White Industries jewelry. When they are swamped I will show people bikes and accessories to keep them occupied until a sales person frees up. For a geek like me it is fun. Getting a derailleur hanger adjustment gauge meant that I was vested to the point of no return. At least I wasn't in a dark room barking at a TV.

My semi-local bike shop had my ebike I wanted to sell for a day( I think the mechanic didn't like it) nothing wrong with it new good bike) they rang Me next day.(I was excited that was quick!).Only to hear the bad news, no we won't sell your bike for you( they would have got 30% commission) we feel that if something goes wrong whoever buys it will bring it back here and try to get us to fix it. They sell Aventons, heck of a way to build new customers( they are 50 miles away) so I brought it home and sold to a very satisfied individual who gave Me 20% of what I paid for it, it was a nice bike and I didn't want to ruin it on these $#!++y roads around here, I looked upon it as a failure and wanted it gone,I may or may not go back to these Guys.( why should I ?)
On the bright side I have realized bike mechanicals are rather simple and will from now on do most build or repair work myself( Sorry Olympus, bike mechanics are very seldom Avatar material)

Back