How hard is it to build your own Ebike?

Taylor57

Now that I am firmly hooked and my 2nd Ebike is on the way, I have turned into a putterer. I would consider myself fairly handy and curious. I think I have a decent start on tools. Tell me about a starter kit or baby steps in building my own Ebike. Maybe I donate it or give it to a charity? Lets say my budget is a grand...

You may want to increase your budget, electric bike technologies in Pennsylvania sell an excellent trike direct drive hub kit with 15mph and 4mph reverse but it costs a grand with their 48v battery, you could fit this to a Sun Bicycles traditional trike ($500). In fact EBT sell this very conversion for not much more than you would pay to DIY https://electricbikereview.com/electric-bike-technologies/electric-sun-traditional-tricycle/

Or you might consider converting a Worksman Port-o-trike ($420) or Eagle trike ($450) and support an American frame builder.

But if you want to have a go at something similar for your budget, go for it! My local bicycle advocacy group has put out a call for donations of working bicycles for essential workers, I’m contemplating if I have the skill to assemble the parts on a frame sitting in my garage or if I should simply donate it to a local bicycle co-op

Last edited:
I started out building a couple of my own, then bought a Rad as it was only maybe 200 more than my builds, which used all new parts. Then, I re-built/customized the Rad installing aftermarket KT based electronics, then a bigger motor, and then an even more powerful motor. Now totally spoiled by a bike that would be nearly impossible to duplicate on the open market - and I have less invested than with anything even close. It would take some seriously expert eyes to see that this RAD didn't just roll off the showroom floor, AND, very few bikes would have a chance against it in a 100yd race. Yet ridden conservatively, the bike is capable of an easy 35 miles on a charge....

My point is this, maybe start collecting ideas regarding what your "perfect" bike would look like. Then build it. When it's right, donate the bike you're on now if you like....

Getting the right bike first is key.

If I had it all to do again I'd probably have waited for something with a nice front suspension and 26" wheels (so much easier to build around and find parts for). A tapered head tube and modern dropouts would have made life easier, too. That aside, we'll find out soon how hard it is, as assembly begins today!

Back