How does one get into mountain biking?

My wife and I went straight toward eMTB when we started into biking a year ago as a way to ride car (less) terrain. She is going to attend an all women's class with a pro trainer in a couple of weeks. I will look for one I or both of us can also go to soon.

In our original ignorance we bought her a Pedego Ridge Rider eMTB. At 60 plus lbs she thinks of it as a boat anchor over half her body weight. We then got her an Orbea Rise which she loves for light at just over 40 lbs, nimble, and fitting her body well. It also makes for proper exercise in her mind as it has a motor and settings that don't overpower human effort.
Definitely a good option to check out the lite lower powered setups as well. Specialized has some option like that in there lineup as well.

Given what you said about your Trek I would research putting a motor on that. If I understand correctly it is challenging with full suspension and quite possibly will not work with a carbon fiber front triangle. (Yours is CF right?) The motor I think would come close to mirroring an Orbea Rise's is frequently built up by a member here, PedalUma. If you search his postings you'll see the clean light weight builds on road bikes mostly.

The much advertised Switch Bike kit could take a MTB to eMTB on a CF FS but I'm not sure how it would feel or perform.
Yes, believe me I have! Love your suggestions. I use to ride with a BionX kit (rear wheel hub) back in the day when bike shops would give you the stink eye up your arrival with an eBike. Sywtch did catch my eye, however, motor at this time only has 40NM of torque. Also there is a new company in San Francisco that has created an interesting system for MTN bikes. It's very pricey ($2K) for taking a chance on a startup. Here's the link: https://bimotal.com. Thanks again for your ideas! :)))) PS: Love the Orbea Rise.

My wife and I went straight toward eMTB when we started into biking a year ago as a way to ride car (less) terrain. She is going to attend an all women's class with a pro trainer in a couple of weeks. I will look for one I or both of us can also go to soon.

In our original ignorance we bought her a Pedego Ridge Rider eMTB. At 60 plus lbs she thinks of it as a boat anchor over half her body weight. We then got her an Orbea Rise which she loves for light at just over 40 lbs, nimble, and fitting her body well. It also makes for proper exercise in her mind as it has a motor and settings that don't overpower human effort.
Wow! Thanks for the feedback (and chuckle) on your wife's Pedego eMTB experience. LOL! I know that "boat anchor" feeling. One of my hold backs with the "lighter" eMTN bikes is the tradeoff for battery power. I tried out the Specialize SL eMTB and I felt like I was riding a noisy sewing machine up hill with no power. The balance between battery power/capacity and weight of bike is becoming a tricky pivot point. Thanks again!!

Thing is, I´m old & creaky. I´ve had 2 steel rods in my leg & still have one. I´ve broken half the
bones in my body. My knees go snap crackle pop. I am forced to ride seated because they won´t
support me on the pedals. I´ve ridden mtn trails since I was 12, but these days healing up is
a very long process i prefer to avoid.
P.S, I could have written the book on technique. Macho chit will eventually catch up with you.
So don´t try to tell me what i should do. I was there long before you.
Ooops, Sorry John, my post was for "TrailSeeker's" original question about MTN biking. Suggestions
weren't for you, clearly you are a veteran of the sport! :)
Sorry to hear about those snap, crackle and pops. I feel yah!! Why can't some make WD-40 for the human body?
Enjoy your day! 🙂

Ooops, Sorry John, my post was for "TrailSeeker's" original question about MTN biking. Suggestions
weren't for you, clearly you are a veteran of the sport! :)
Sorry to hear about those snap, crackle and pops. I feel yah!! Why can't some make WD-40 for the human body?
Enjoy your day! 🙂
No worry, this situation is just making me really cussed in general. I want to kick the stuffing
outa that bastard so bad, him & his red hat quisling too.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback (and chuckle) on your wife's Pedego eMTB experience. LOL! I know that "boat anchor" feeling. One of my hold backs with the "lighter" eMTN bikes is the tradeoff for battery power. I tried out the Specialize SL eMTB and I felt like I was riding a noisy sewing machine up hill with no power. The balance between battery power/capacity and weight of bike is becoming a tricky pivot point. Thanks again!!
On assist level of a particular light weight EMTB search a bit further if you like a bike in general. I notice one involved test video on Orbea Rise the guy reprogramed the settings for assist to kick in differently than stock and he loved it. My wife is still at stock.

I'll look at SF company's offering. I would still like a light eMTB with good power.

Back