How does one get into mountain biking?

A little late to the party, but here are a few thoughts.

Look at mtbproject.com and/or trailforks.com. They will show you local mountain bike trails, rated for difficulty.
Don't go to a hiking trail and expect to ride a bike. It might not be allowed, and it will probably mean getting off the bike and carrying it over lots of obstacles. Go to bike trails developed with mountain biking in mind.
Try to find someone willing to ride with you once you've developed basic skills. Most riders want to ride at their own pace but are willing to sometimes show a newbie the local trails. If you go to the same local trail a lot, stick around and chat with other riders. Trade phone numbers. Try to fit in with their usual riding schedule so that you don't inconvenience them. I am willing to ride by myself, but its more fun when you are with friends. Or, ask around at your local bike shop in case they do group rides.
If you are riding trails developed for mountain bikes, you will probably end up owning a dual suspension bike. Particularly if you are over the age of 20. A hardtail just beats you up too much.
I just watched the video in the link above. I agreed with everything he had to say. It looks like it is was filmed in the NW. Trails in North Carolina don't look like that. We catch way less air than in the video. Personally, I try not to catch air - my wheels stay on the ground 99% of the time.
If you let your local bike shop set up your new bike's suspension, expect it to be set up for the way THEY like to ride. The fork will probably be too stiff, as well as the rear shock if you have one, because they are probably expert riders who expect to catch six feet of air as often as possible. YOU may not ride that way, and may want to soften the suspension to YOUR liking. Same goes for tire pressure. If you are rolling across a million roots and rocks but never catch air, you probably want softer suspension and tires.
I did not start riding until I was about 34. Took a five year break and picked it back up in my mid 50's. My skills are still good and the bike is better than anything I'd ridden in the 90' and 2000's. With the ebike, hill climbing (which used to be my forte') is not an issue either. So don't worry about your age.
Try not to ride much above your skill level. As has been noted, old bodies don't heal as well. Plus, they get out of shape faster when you are at home, healing.
In any case, I hope you have fun and stay safe.
Thank you @EmotionLynx6Pro! That's some really good advice. I'm going to check out this sites before I ride next 🙂

Bullshit.

I've had the privilege of bringing up 3 mtb riding kids and introducing heaps of friends to the sport. Airtime is the least important skill I teach. Learn the basics - good bike control, how to pump and flow and reading the trail - there are online courses that teach these skills well, but nothing beats a sensible graduated learning curve.

My older daughter started at 13 yo, at 14 yo -she had no interest in air but was already faster than me

View attachment 97295

By 16 she can clear most doubles, but has already recognised flow beats show. She will tackle most black runs but has the sense to look before leaping on double black diamonds. Absolutely no interest in showing off in the carpark on formed jumps.

View attachment 97296
That's mountain biking.

Not always true....... because if you don't hop over it you might just come to a dead stop just some food for thought!:)
I can think of another occasion where you aren't slowing too. A cliff comes to mind....

That was the scariest thing i've seen in a long time... I'm so glad he survived. I wasn't expecting that. no more mountain biking for me - at least no single track downhill courses, off the side of a mountain... that was crazy
Youth thinks it is invincible. Perhaps this is out of necessity. As one ages though, this viewpoint diminishes. Fearlessness is replaced by something we like to pretend is wisdom. Yes he was crazy for trying it, but why then do I secretly admire him for doing so ? And if he had edited out the crash and I knew nothing of his failure , would I hold the same opinion of the whole ludicrous endeavor ? Probably not. (-:

Last edited:
A little late to the party, but here are a few thoughts.

Look at mtbproject.com and/or trailforks.com. They will show you local mountain bike trails, rated for difficulty.
Don't go to a hiking trail and expect to ride a bike. It might not be allowed, and it will probably mean getting off the bike and carrying it over lots of obstacles. Go to bike trails developed with mountain biking in mind.
Try to find someone willing to ride with you once you've developed basic skills. Most riders want to ride at their own pace but are willing to sometimes show a newbie the local trails. If you go to the same local trail a lot, stick around and chat with other riders. Trade phone numbers. Try to fit in with their usual riding schedule so that you don't inconvenience them. I am willing to ride by myself, but its more fun when you are with friends. Or, ask around at your local bike shop in case they do group rides.
If you are riding trails developed for mountain bikes, you will probably end up owning a dual suspension bike. Particularly if you are over the age of 20. A hardtail just beats you up too much.
I just watched the video in the link above. I agreed with everything he had to say. It looks like it is was filmed in the NW. Trails in North Carolina don't look like that. We catch way less air than in the video. Personally, I try not to catch air - my wheels stay on the ground 99% of the time.
If you let your local bike shop set up your new bike's suspension, expect it to be set up for the way THEY like to ride. The fork will probably be too stiff, as well as the rear shock if you have one, because they are probably expert riders who expect to catch six feet of air as often as possible. YOU may not ride that way, and may want to soften the suspension to YOUR liking. Same goes for tire pressure. If you are rolling across a million roots and rocks but never catch air, you probably want softer suspension and tires.
I did not start riding until I was about 34. Took a five year break and picked it back up in my mid 50's. My skills are still good and the bike is better than anything I'd ridden in the 90' and 2000's. With the ebike, hill climbing (which used to be my forte') is not an issue either. So don't worry about your age.
Try not to ride much above your skill level. As has been noted, old bodies don't heal as well. Plus, they get out of shape faster when you are at home, healing.
In any case, I hope you have fun and stay safe.
Great stuff. Recently discovered mtbproject, they are fantastic... and was stunned to see that the trail I'd done was rated intermediate/advanced. (I started at 63 and have only been doing this a year.)

However, I'm going up and down that trail MUCH more slowly than most of the other folks on the hill; the trail I was taking was much more like intermediate at the speed that I was going.

Another thing that helped: I rode the trail 4 times before going all the way to the top. By the time I had conditioned well enough to do the whole thing, I really knew the trail pretty well, which was critical because my descents were at dusk, light was bad, and I was tired. And if you're a rookie like me, figure on stopping frequently-- even when descending.

I won't get back on that trail again until the spring, and probably again will not go for the summit first try. And yes-- I found other riders on the trail very helpful, and I found people who offered to ride with me the next time. If it hadn't been the end of the season (it's too hot here now, at least for me) I would definitely have taken them up on it, but I know where they'll be if I need to find them again-- they've been going to the same spot for 30 years!~

If you´re interested in downhill, the 1st thing you may need is good insurance. If you are in no great
hurry & cautious, moderate trails are a lot of fun without sticking yur neck out. If you plan to compete
in the Red Bull Rampage, I´d suggest max body armor & a funeral plan. Not everyone is Danny
Macaskill, & I have the xrays to prove it.🤪
Hey guys! I'm new here, and just got into biking. I had a question on how a new guy can get into mountain biking for the first time?

It looks like so much fun! But being a little older it might be too late for me to start. I know it is probably also dangerous, but I can get past that I think.

For those that do it now, how did you start and do you think there's an age cutoff to learn?

Also I'm getting an allant soon (mostly for trails), but could I also use it for basic courses?

Thanks!
Hi John, your caution is real but there are some things you can do to support your safety. As a 62 y/o F who still rides some gnarly single tracks here's what I did BEFORE I started MTN biking on single track:
1. Took a MTN bike ride/technique class. I learned how to climb, corner, brake and FALL. I can't stress this enough.
2. GO F'n slow!! Sorry, but it's true. Don't let your inner drugstore of teenager brain chemicals get the best of you. Warning: MTN biking is a high. LOL.
3. I believe FULL SUSPENSION is absolute for older riders. My friend (over 60) just fracture tailbone on his electric eGravel Bike. Suspension may of blunted this blow.
4. Lastly, re: "age." I met a man in his 80ies last week on his electric mountain bike. Just saying.
5. Enjoy :)
ps: I started my mountain bike riding at age 56. Onward! tempImageiKlsrH.png

I cannot see a motor on that MTB :)
LOL, YOUR EYES are in great shape!! I ride a 2019 Specialized Como 4.0 (shopping/errands) and am in the process of "researching" eMTN bikes. So far, my demo rides (Specialized Levo/Trek Rail) all seem like big tankers with those 29ers. These bike aren't made for OLD small framed women. 👵😂 I LOVE my little Trek Fuel with the 27.5 wheels. If I could electrify/motorize it properly, I would keep. :)

Hi John, your caution is real but there are some things you can do to support your safety. As a 62 y/o F who still rides some gnarly single tracks here's what I did BEFORE I started MTN biking on single track:
1. Took a MTN bike ride/technique class. I learned how to climb, corner, brake and FALL. I can't stress this enough.
2. GO F'n slow!! Sorry, but it's true. Don't let your inner drugstore of teenager brain chemicals get the best of you. Warning: MTN biking is a high. LOL.
3. I believe FULL SUSPENSION is absolute for older riders. My friend (over 60) just fracture tailbone on his electric eGravel Bike. Suspension may of blunted this blow.
4. Lastly, re: "age." I met a man in his 80ies last week on his electric mountain bike. Just saying.
5. Enjoy :)
ps: I started my mountain bike riding at age 56. Onward! View attachment 115469
Thing is, I´m old & creaky. I´ve had 2 steel rods in my leg & still have one. I´ve broken half the
bones in my body. My knees go snap crackle pop. I am forced to ride seated because they won´t
support me on the pedals. I´ve ridden mtn trails since I was 12, but these days healing up is
a very long process i prefer to avoid.
P.S, I could have written the book on technique. Macho chit will eventually catch up with you.
So don´t try to tell me what i should do. I was there long before you.

Last edited:
LOL, YOUR EYES are in great shape!! I ride a 2019 Specialized Como 4.0 (shopping/errands) and am in the process of "researching" eMTN bikes. So far, my demo rides (Specialized Levo/Trek Rail) all seem like big tankers with those 29ers. These bike aren't made for OLD small framed women. 👵😂 I LOVE my little Trek Fuel with the 27.5 wheels. If I could electrify/motorize it properly, I would keep. :)
check out Giants emtbs as well.

My wife and I went straight toward eMTB when we started into biking a year ago as a way to ride car (less) terrain. She is going to attend an all women's class with a pro trainer in a couple of weeks. I will look for one I or both of us can also go to soon.

In our original ignorance we bought her a Pedego Ridge Rider eMTB. At 60 plus lbs she thinks of it as a boat anchor over half her body weight. We then got her an Orbea Rise which she loves for light at just over 40 lbs, nimble, and fitting her body well. It also makes for proper exercise in her mind as it has a motor and settings that don't overpower human effort.

Given what you said about your Trek I would research putting a motor on that. If I understand correctly it is challenging with full suspension and quite possibly will not work with a carbon fiber front triangle. (Yours is CF right?) The motor I think would come close to mirroring an Orbea Rise's is frequently built up by a member here, PedalUma. If you search his postings you'll see the clean light weight builds on road bikes mostly.

The much advertised Switch Bike kit could take a MTB to eMTB on a CF FS but I'm not sure how it would feel or perform.

Back