How does one get into mountain biking?

TrailSeeker

Region
USA
Hey guys! I'm new here, and just got into biking. I had a question on how a new guy can get into mountain biking for the first time?

It looks like so much fun! But being a little older it might be too late for me to start. I know it is probably also dangerous, but I can get past that I think.

For those that do it now, how did you start and do you think there's an age cutoff to learn?

Also I'm getting an allant soon (mostly for trails), but could I also use it for basic courses?

Thanks!

Having tried just that on a beginner single track last year, I wouldn’t risk your new Allant on it. It really all depends on where you’re riding. A gravel road, grass track, open field and dirt path would be good starting areas.
I’m a beginner and got a good EMTB so I could give myself every advantage. I’m really enjoying it but it’s also easy to get yourself in trouble very quickly! I highly recommend you just learn about and enjoy your new ride for a while to understand your and your Allant’s limitations.
E859F099-D61A-40CE-BE63-6D6FCE4DAA2D.jpeg

Attachments

• AF2760E9-F1A9-4FF2-9387-D7A5F55FA865.jpeg
    AF2760E9-F1A9-4FF2-9387-D7A5F55FA865.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 216
  • FCC9D2B6-4D60-49E0-A53A-D9F654D15356.jpeg
    FCC9D2B6-4D60-49E0-A53A-D9F654D15356.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DD80337F-AC05-465C-93A1-C2A5DE5F8C40.jpeg
    DD80337F-AC05-465C-93A1-C2A5DE5F8C40.jpeg
    830.5 KB · Views: 209
Well first thing you do is take any and all opportunities to post as many photos of your bike as possible. 🙃
But then I wouldn't let your age necessarily be a determining factor as long as you are conscious of your abilities. Obviously be very familiar with your bike before you start and then take it slow while preferably riding along with others that have more experience that can give you some guidance. Gain some technic before you start trying to keep up with pack and know when you are tired as that's when judgement starts to wane.
Good luck and go get that boy muddy!

Living near a mountain would help.
There are fire trails near my Grandmother's & Grandfather's house in WV, and they were too steep and rough for a regular bicycle. I hiked up there several times, as did my Mother & Grandmother when they were young. Gas well access roads, too. Grandmother told me she used the power line easement across the mountain for a short cut to work. Mountain bike would have handled those trails, but I don't go there anymore since the ancestors passed.
Lots of hllls here, but they are paved. I have some hills on my 23 acres, but I'd have to spend 5 years clearing trees & downed branches to make a trail. I can barely keep the tree limbs picked up on the flat where I try to mow. **** locust trees.

My other recommendation is to ride park if you can, and start on the beginner trails.

Hey guys! I'm new here, and just got into biking. I had a question on how a new guy can get into mountain biking for the first time?

It looks like so much fun! But being a little older it might be too late for me to start. I know it is probably also dangerous, but I can get past that I think.

For those that do it now, how did you start and do you think there's an age cutoff to learn?

Also I'm getting an allant soon (mostly for trails), but could I also use it for basic courses?

Thanks!
If you´re interested in downhill, the 1st thing you may need is good insurance. If you are in no great
hurry & cautious, moderate trails are a lot of fun without sticking yur neck out. If you plan to compete
in the Red Bull Rampage, I´d suggest max body armor & a funeral plan. Not everyone is Danny
Macaskill, & I have the xrays to prove it.🤪

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments! I like the idea of starting slow and graduating to more technical trails as a starting point.

Unfortunately, I've got no mountains nearby but there is a ton of adventurous terrain nearby.

I will definitive take pictures and share with the everyone! I can't wait for my bike to arrive and to start pedaling 😀

I'm 61 and rode mountain bikes through my 40's then kind of lost it due to life and then my adult son is really into it and he got me back at it!
On an ebike of course!
I'm very lucky and live in Minneapolis and even though not a mountainous area we have a very active mountain bike community and they build trails in a lot of parks and state owned areas.

So:
1. I don't really see an age limit it's more of a know-your-limits limit.
2. If you get into it, you will fall. I've taken a few good ones, but I've gotten a lot better and wiser. Real mountain trails have a rating system from green being the easiest to black diamond, double black diamond, etc.
3. Find someone willing to show you around, I was lucky to have my son, but I have gotten my buddy into it as well and we ride together as often as possible.
4. Get online and look for local mtb clubs etc. I have found the mtb crowd is very likeable and I have NEVER gotten a hard time about being on an ebike.
5. Know your area, ebikes are not allowed in certain areas and trails. It's your responsibility to know the laws.

Here is one of our favorite local trails in the metro area.

Last edited:
As a senior, I'd say you would get into mountain biking with a good deal of caution! Seriously, you are not going to heal as easily as those young(er) snots will!

I have fun exploring unmarked trails. If it gets too challenging or even uncomfortable, I turn around and leave the way I came in....

I started when I was 64. If I went on an intermediate trail, I was not stupid enough to ride over an obstacle that looked beyond my capabilities. I'd get off and push the bike through. Lots of practice, and lots of youtube videos. You can practice bunny hopping, balance beam, and other skills right in your yard. Don't practice on the driveway, old guys don't bounce well on concrete. And believe me, you will fall once you get on roots and rocks! Get comfortable and ride some beginner trails. Don't expect any acceptance with an eMtb. Traditional mtb guys hate eBikes. I'm retired, so only ride in the middle of the week.

I started when I was 64. If I went on an intermediate trail, I was not stupid enough to ride over an obstacle that looked beyond my capabilities. I'd get off and push the bike through. Lots of practice, and lots of youtube videos. You can practice bunny hopping, balance beam, and other skills right in your yard. Don't practice on the driveway, old guys don't bounce well on concrete. And believe me, you will fall once you get on roots and rocks! Get comfortable and ride some beginner trails. Don't expect any acceptance with an eMtb. Traditional mtb guys hate eBikes. I'm retired, so only ride in the middle of the week.
Must be your area. People on the trails around here are very accepting.
Now the roadies around here are a whole 'nuther story!

Thanks!
FYI an Allant is not a mountain bike. It can only be used safely by novice riders on the green rated trails. If you find you enjoy E mountain biking you will need a proper bike to help you survive the blue trails. Even with a good full suspension bike , you need to steer clear of the black trails. There is some overlap of ratings however. That is to say some blue rated trails are in reality mostly green etc... BUT stay off the black trails. Good luck to you. (-: PS like the man said you will fall so invest in some pads.

As a senior, I'd say you would get into mountain biking with a good deal of caution! Seriously, you are not going to heal as easily as those young(er) snots will!

I have fun exploring unmarked trails. If it gets too challenging or even uncomfortable, I turn around and leave the way I came in....
As injuries go. all of my last 3 took more than a year to fully heal, I grow more cautious with each one.

So thankful, as to date, my worst bicycle crashes have been at -0- mph. I learned crashes are no fun the hard way - on motorcycles - MANY years ago. No need for this body to relearn those lessons. I'm pretty sure they still apply, and will be just as painful. The issue now would be my frustration level while spending a few months confined to a recliner looking out a picture window while healing. And the associated loss of strength afterward. That's something I can't afford now, plain and simple. It takes a lot (of/more) time nowadays, I'm betting.....

Mountain biking isn't rolling thru a grassy meadow.
It's freaking hardcore. Get air or go home.
We are not all 16. In fact almost none of us are 16. Going home leads to death for seniors.
I wore out a mountain bike, bought age 38, without ever getting air. I got 100 km from start once, 27 miles usually. I only fell off that bike once, as a result of LBS not tightening the stem bolt sufficiently at assembly. 8 stitches. I wear long sleeve dickies now.

We are not all 16. In fact almost none of us are 16. Going home leads to death for seniors.
I wore out a mountain bike, bought age 38, without ever getting air. I got 100 km from start once, 27 miles usually. I only fell off that bike once, as a result of LBS not tightening the stem bolt sufficiently at assembly. 8 stitches. I wear long sleeve dickies now.
I used to jump my Yamaha 400 Enduro but only in a few specific places and when I was in my 20’s.
I’d be willing to jump my Rail 5 but only in a few specific places!

Back