How do you keep rust of your bike/bolts/parts

Surface rust can be removed with products like WD40 and a brush & rag but depending on the chains age and degree of wear, it may be wise to just replace it. E-bikes put a considerable strain on a chain and it may not be worth the risk of getting stranded somewhere.

Surface rust can be removed with products like WD40 and a brush & rag but depending on the chains age and degree of wear, it may be wise to just replace it. E-bikes put a considerable strain on a chain and it may not be worth the risk of getting stranded somewhere.
I concur.
Depending on the chains overall condition it may make sense to get a new chain.
If the rust is superficial you can put it in a small flat container and let it soak in WD40 for an hour. Then a small stiff brush should get it clean.
If you have a compressor, place a rag under the chain and you can blow out most of the WD from the crevices. Then finish polish it dry with a rag, nicey, nice.
I've done this with a new chain that the manufacturer oil had congealed.

There is no need for a new chain until and unless your whole chain is covered in severe rust, which is not possible to treat at all. I agree that it depends on your chain condition. For me, the easiest solution is to use a chain cleaner. If the problem is serious, you can try chemical rust remover such as Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) to remove rust from bike metal surfaces, but be sure to protect your skin and eyes. Also, there are special tools for cleaning bike chains that are made specifically for this purpose (chain saw, rusty bike wrench, rust converter, rubber mallet, wire brush, etc.). I suggest checking this source https://www.bikertricks.com/rusty-bike-chain/ It helped me figure it out, so I hope it will be useful for you.

Last edited:
If your chain is badly rusted, the rollers (located between the side links) are very likely not going to ever roll well again and are going to tear up your sprockets a little every time they are SUPPOSED to roll over them - accelerating sprocket wear big time. NOT something you're going to clean up with a wire brush. Another vote for replacing a chain with anything more advanced than surface rust. After replacing it, betting the new chain will get more attention more frequently than the old one did.... It'll likely be quieter and easier to pedal as well....

I went ahead and spent my first communion money and got a new chain. You don't mention how old the chain is, and "rust" doesn't really tell anyone much.

If old is a few years and rust is prevalent, chains are pretty cheap. Breakdowns are a pain to me, spend it and ride it new.

you can try chemical rust remover such as Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) to remove rust from bike metal surfaces,
Just NO! Not a good idea for general use. Good land man. Rocket fuel? The hazards list is substantial.
Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 11.00.01 AM.png

Back