How do you define the ideal electric touring bicycle?

vs with a large battery and assuming it's flexible (non-proprietary) a custom solution (not hard to do at all):
52VDC --> DC-DC Buck converter (5VDC, efficiency losses, but less than a buck-boost) --> USB power.
Wow, the chinese are actually making them already :)
That's 12W

Goes against everything I have heard and yet he's ridden them longer and in worse conditions than anyone I have ever met. I'd LOVE to be able to set and forget the belt for a few months at a time. It's not practical for me to wash the thing whenever it gets dirty but I do the same GD thing with my chains now and I go through them a dozen a year. Not to mention the hours of maintenance yearly. But I think trying to match a BBSHD, and Speed-hub on my suspended frame would be an issue. Gotta love innovation!

A dozen chains a year, wow, got nothing to do weight, throttle & this kind of usage:

20200626_110001.jpg

The panel was charging a 2.9 volts per hour. A 30Ah pack depleted to 20% (45.4V) will recharge to 86% (56.8+/-) in approximately 3 hours 20 minutes... about the same as using a Grin Satiator charging at 8A. It's like taking the leash off.

Last edited:
The panel was charging a 2.9 volts per hour. A 30Ah pack depleted to 20% (45.4V) will recharge to 86% (56.8+/-) in approximately 3 hours 20 minutes... about the same as using a Grin Satiator charging at 8A. It's like taking the leash off.
Sounds great,
Do you have an official measurement in Watts or Wh it was charging at? Which Solar Charge Controller were you using?

Thanks! Interesting so your battery uses LiFeP04 cells. Cool!

What folding panel is that?

What folding panel is that?

SunCapture 300W folding solar panel. They are undoubtedly getting near a new generation of solar panel, lighter, more efficient, probably not more durable but who knows man, I just couldn't wait any longer. This sucker is 17 lbs. and I had to have my trailer modified to carry it safely but it really does feel like taking the leash off. Someone that's rich could just have cells incorporated into a rigid water cover for a trailer but then potential damage would always come into play. The picture of the multimeter showing 19V is from the panel through a Grin dc/dc converter set to charge my Fugoo XL speaker. There are only 4 or 5 things I carry that need more than a USB charge capability and now I have all those covered with the adjustable converter. I wonder if I can heat water with 60V, that would be cool... have to look into that.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rFim5rPsajmDt8NJ6

Thanks! Interesting...
It looks like heating water for a shower, even to wash clothes is going to be easy as hell. A 24V immersion heater connected to the dc/dc converter should do the trick nicely off of the panel or a lithium pack. The best thing is that it won't add much weight at all! Glad you asked a question man, thank. Stay safe.

Just so you know I do not use LiFeP04 batteries, I use li-Ion packs, 52V (58.8V max) 30Ah. The Genasun voltage boosting MPPT solar charge controller will handle multiple battery chemistries just like the Grin Satiator. More capability than less is always the way to go. Stay safe.

Just curious. were any of those pictures taken along the Historic Columbia River Trail? The in the meadow looks familiar.

Back