HOW DO I DISCHARGE FOR STORAGE

I think you must be right. There is no on/off switch on the batt. but the control module on the handle bar turns it on for sure. ( must be talking to the battery management ???) I will see if the charger can wake it up. Do you mean to say that it will stay activated (wake up) for a period of time after I unplug the charger, or will it have to be plugged in to keep it activated? Does the charger have to be plugged into 110 also to cause it to wake up?
Yes, plug the charger in to 110.
If this is the case it will depend on your particular BMS for how long the output terminals will stay active. It could be on time delay or it may need to see some input continually whether it be a charger or the handlebar controller.
Safety devices sometimes make it difficult to test or to use a device in a manner not intended

Thanks for the help, I think I will try the controller, and hopefully find a place to tap into the 36v wiring at a connection. I'll report back.

I think you must be right. There is no on/off switch on the batt. but the control module on the handle bar turns it on for sure. ( must be talking to the battery management ???) I will see if the charger can wake it up. Do you mean to say that it will stay activated (wake up) for a period of time after I unplug the charger, or will it have to be plugged in to keep it activated? Does the charger have to be plugged into 110 also to cause it to wake up?
I plugged the charger DC into the batt. and got no change in readings. Plugging the AC in, also, of course this energizes the batt. and then I got 36v on the left 2 prongs. As soon as I unplug the AC the 36v drops to 1.5. So I thought to drag the bike out of storage, connect the batt. and start the bike (with the controller) and then disconnect the batt to motor connector, but alas is no connector between batt and motor. I will make a connection and try to access 36v there. The connection will have 2 female Anderson connectors and 1 male. The second female connector will provide access to 36v, I hope.

I plugged the charger DC into the batt. and got no change in readings. Plugging the AC in, also, of course this energizes the batt. and then I got 36v on the left 2 prongs. As soon as I unplug the AC the 36v drops to 1.5. So I thought to drag the bike out of storage, connect the batt. and start the bike (with the controller) and then disconnect the batt to motor connector, but alas is no connector between batt and motor. I will make a connection and try to access 36v there. The connection will have 2 female Anderson connectors and 1 male. The second female connector will provide access to 36v, I hope.
Curious. . .why do you feel that you need to discharge or cycle your battery?
I've asked this question earlier in this thread and no one has replied or provided any documentation that you need to do so.
If you charge your battery to storage voltage, it can stay there safely for months without issue.

Curious. . .why do you feel that you need to discharge or cycle your battery?
I've asked this question earlier in this thread and no one has replied or provided any documentation that you need to do so.
If you charge your battery to storage voltage, it can stay there safely for months without issue.
I think you answered your own question, sort of, but I will confirm that. I got caught with a fully (80 percent) charged battery, by circumstances, weather and life, and because it's my habit to keep the bat. ready for use. We have a long 6 months of winter here and it is best practice for the longevity of a lithium ion battery to be charged once during a 3 month storage. It's also best to store that battery (for the next 3 months) at about 60 percent. Hence my need for a discharger. We have 2 bikes but only one has a discharge port on the bat. The bike has no lights connected to the bat. and my dear wife refuses to ride in the winter. I don't know why, she is only 77! I don't ride it because it is much to small for me. Bear humping a football small.

I think you answered your own question, sort of, but I will confirm that. I got caught with a fully (80 percent) charged battery, by circumstances, weather and life, and because it's my habit to keep the bat. ready for use. We have a long 6 months of winter here and it is best practice for the longevity of a lithium ion battery to be charged once during a 3 month storage. It's also best to store that battery (for the next 3 months) at about 60 percent. Hence my need for a discharger. We have 2 bikes but only one has a discharge port on the bat. The bike has no lights connected to the bat. and my dear wife refuses to ride in the winter. I don't know why, she is only 77! I don't ride it because it is much to small for me. Bear humping a football small.
Leaving it at 80% should be no problem at all. 80% is not fully charged!

Leaving it at 80% should be no problem at all. 80% is not fully charged!

According to the battery manufacturer they state that a lithium ion battery being stored for more than 2 weeks to a month should not be left fully charged. Also a battery that will be stored indefinitely should not be more than 50-60% charged, and that it should be cycled through a normal discharge then fully charged every 3 months to allow the bms to balance the cells. It should then be discharged to 50% if the storage continues. It should not be left for more than a week when fully discharged. When the battery is charged if you can avoid 100% charges unless required and generally charge to 70% you will extend the life and number of charges available by more than double. I was aware of these practices from using lion batteries in RC planes and boats, and it really prolonged life in those batteries. Our bike batts are going into their 4th & 5th year with no sign of decay yet. It took me a while to get into doing this, and I don't follow it exactly as they say. They have been charged to 100% many times but mostly to 80% for mine and 50% for my wife's. This was the first time that I got caught with a full (high) charge and thought I should have some way out in the future that doesn't require riding.

You are not leaving it “fully” charged at 80%. I highly doubt you will notice any measurable battery degradation leaving it at 80% for a couple of months versus it being 60% for the same length of time.....But at the end of the day, it’s all about what make you feel the most comfortable. I personally wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

There is some very deep discussion re. battery design, etc. in this thread, much beyond my capacity to understand. All I want to knows is is there a cheaper battery that is directly replaceable on my 2018 CCX w/ 52V, 19.2ah battery? I just want to have a spare battery so that when I run out of juice, I can remove the dead one and install the spare one and get to my destination. This bike w/o power is like pedaling up a 15% grade, imho.
Help!

Direct replacements are available but at $1200, they are not cheap!

As a compromise, you might consider the cheaper $700 13ah version to carry as a spare.

You might find something cheaper on Aliexpress but you take your chances on quality.

There is some very deep discussion re. battery design, etc. in this thread, much beyond my capacity to understand. All I want to knows is is there a cheaper battery that is directly replaceable on my 2018 CCX w/ 52V, 19.2ah battery? I just want to have a spare battery so that when I run out of juice, I can remove the dead one and install the spare one and get to my destination. This bike w/o power is like pedaling up a 15% grade, imho.
Help!
There's dual battery wiring kits for the CCX on eBay.

Watch the description video, that's not a real dual battery kit.
You can't run the battery simultaneously.

Right, I wasn't implying you could run them simultaneously. This lets you have two batteries on-board and run them independently. It's still called a dual battery kit, just not what you're thinking. It's what ebott was asking about.

The "kit" on eBay that you linked will only save you from mild inconvenience of switching the battery.
I've seen RadRover owners carrying spare battery on rear rack, with this eBay "kit", you can instead disconnect and re-connect the connector, instead of physically switching to spare battery.
Considering the effort and time it would take to install those wires, it's not really worth it. (in my perspective anyways)

In addition, those parallel connectors and/or extension cables are relatively cheap.

Also, the point of having dual battery is to get more range out of it.
By connecting the two batteries, each battery will be exposed to much less stress, and you can really extend the range, more than double.
Maybe ebott will hopefully see your post so your explanation can help him out. You could also reply directly to him.

Back