How common are rattles, buzzes, and other noises on ebikes?

SDGuitarMan

Region
USA
With all the brands and models of ebikes out there, I'm curious about how common these noises are across all brands. I recently bought two Lectric XP2.0s and the step through model makes a rattling/buzzing sound that I believe is coming from the fender vibrating due to vibrations being passed from the bike to the fender. This only happens with the motor is under load so most likely it's the motor that's causing a vibration which is then being transferred to the fender which in turn rattles.

The regular frame XP2.0 doesn't do this but the motor does buzz a little when under load such as going uphill.

I'd like to think that this is at least somewhat common since motors are bound to vibrate and with all the metal on metal attachment points on ebikes and the extra load/stress put on the entire frame and components, some kinds of noises are to be expected.

Lectric hasn't been able to figure out what's causing my noises but I'd like to think some noises are normal on ebikes that aren't usually present on regular bikes.

Bikes are variable in this regard. I had a fender rattle and was able to use a piece of 3M double sticky foam to stop it at the point of contact. The sound of the motor should be slight and continuous. A bit like an electric drill but not nearly as loud. Loose things will make noises. Try securing everything you can, without over doing.

Bikes are variable in this regard. I had a fender rattle and was able to use a piece of 3M double sticky foam to stop it at the point of contact. The sound of the motor should be slight and continuous. A bit like an electric drill but not nearly as loud. Loose things will make noises. Try securing everything you can, without over doing.
Thanks. I was able to make the fender rattle a little better by putting a thin plastic washer between the fender and the frame at one of the mounting points. I'll have to try adding another one to the second mounting point. If that doesn't work I'll try either the 3M tape you mentioned or a small rubber o-ring if I can find the right size.

I don't allow rattles on my bikes. Especially when I go over a bump, nothing should be bouncing around to make a noise. MAYBE having them is a sign of quality of assembly. They are just something you have to chase down one at a time until you figure out an deal with all of them.

Thanks. I was able to make the fender rattle a little better by putting a thin plastic washer between the fender and the frame at one of the mounting points. I'll have to try adding another one to the second mounting point. If that doesn't work I'll try either the 3M tape you mentioned or a small rubber o-ring if I can find the right size.
I have an old school Euro bike that has leather washers on the fenders. I did a Mountain Bike park yesterday on that bike. Everybody else had full suspensions on 11 or 12-sp MTB drivetrains. This bike is a three-speed with a stealth motor. The leather washers are the same color at the tires, saddle and grips. Hardware stores will have neoprene washers. They are used to for example seal the head of a roof flashing screw. Those could be a back up. One joke it to put BB's in someone's rims. The rattle stops at speed.

Attachments

• 625b.JPG
    625b.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 191
  • CremeUno3l.JPG
    CremeUno3l.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 178
sounds can be fun to track down. I had a squeak on my trek no clue till I found out it was my bags hanging on the rack. never did that on my other bike.

I have an old school Euro bike that has leather washers on the fenders. I did a Mountain Bike park yesterday on that bike. Everybody else had full suspensions on 11 or 12-sp MTB drivetrains. This bike is a three-speed with a stealth motor. The leather washers are the same color at the tires, saddle and grips. Hardware stores will have neoprene washers. They are used to for example seal the head of a roof flashing screw. Those could be a back up. One joke it to put BB's in someone's rims. The rattle stops at speed.
Creative. Where did you get the leather washers?

Creative. Where did you get the leather washers?
They were on the bike. You can buy a sack of leather washers on eBay. If you want to know more about that bike, search for Creme Cycles. They are not sold in the States. I had on a tweed jacket and Christmas scarf at the MTB park. That was a blast. There was a big red Christmas bow on the front of the bike.

I had a piece of gasket material that I cut into whatever size I needed to dampen any rattling contact points. Cheap fix.
Also Zip ties to neaten any wiring.
Rattles really bug me when riding on my bike or in my car.

Here is a $449 bike that I made electric today. No rattles. It was a 7-sp. Now it is 9, with a trigger shifter, not a twist.

Attachments

• C7-9a.JPG
    C7-9a.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 132
  • C7-9b.JPG
    C7-9b.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 145
  • C7-9c.JPG
    C7-9c.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 136
  • C7-9d.JPG
    C7-9d.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 178
Here is a $449 bike that I made electric today. No rattles. It was a 7-sp. Now it is 9, with a trigger shifter, not a twist.
C7I with TSDZ2?

C7I with TSDZ2?
The 'i' has a seven-speed Nexus. This one came with a black Tourney 7 freewheel with a twist shift. A Tourney 7 is made out of soft ripened stinky cheese and won't hold up. It had white road tires and whippy brakes. The shift housing had an exposed section of cable and went under the BB, so I ran contiguous housing and over the bottom bracket. It had vinyl grips. Now they are leather. I am just back from a ride before the rain. Next it gets a silver bell and double wide panniers. The shifter is now a Shimano Sora 9-speed. Yes, it is a 85Nm TS mid. It can get two sizes of batteries depending on that day's plans. But the truth is no one really would ride a town bike like this more the 50 miles, so the small battery is adequate and it looks nice. Not many eBikes have red to the display. I chopped off the connectors to help clean it up. I am betting someone will want it under their tree but may wait until these bikes go off sale and back up to $660 before selling.
1670793838508.jpeg

1670794368773.jpeg

With all the brands and models of ebikes out there, I'm curious about how common these noises are across all brands. I recently bought two Lectric XP2.0s and the step through model makes a rattling/buzzing sound that I believe is coming from the fender vibrating due to vibrations being passed from the bike to the fender. This only happens with the motor is under load so most likely it's the motor that's causing a vibration which is then being transferred to the fender which in turn rattles.

The regular frame XP2.0 doesn't do this but the motor does buzz a little when under load such as going uphill.

I'd like to think that this is at least somewhat common since motors are bound to vibrate and with all the metal on metal attachment points on ebikes and the extra load/stress put on the entire frame and components, some kinds of noises are to be expected.

Lectric hasn't been able to figure out what's causing my noises but I'd like to think some noises are normal on ebikes that aren't usually present on regular bikes.

Adjusting the metal stays from the mudguard to frame can help.

Often, something just needs to be bent slightly to stop the rattle / vibration. It’s mainly a case of trial and error to find them and stop them, but you will get there.

DG…

I have a roll of weather stripping. Pull off the backing and it is sticky on one side. I used it on a cargo bike recently that had some annoying rattles at touch points.

Back