How can I set the remaining battery range in my main nav window in the Cobi app?

harryl

Region
Europe
Hi,
Has anyone experience with customizing the Bosch Cobi hub interface, in this case replacing the average speed with my battery range info. You'll find this info on the lefthand side of the the navigation map page. I'm not interested in my average speed but really want to know how far I still have left on my battery. This is very handy when deciding whether to go full throttle ;-).

Cobi.jpg

It is not possible unfortunately :( Coby app is pretty much end-of-life and not getting any features or fixes anymore. If you going to keep this bike, I suggest considering replacing SmartphoneHub with Kiox or Nyon displays - they allow to customize screens in a way you want.

I believe once you start your ride and select an assist mode it shows estimated range next to the battery on the bottom.
Screenshot_20210722-065502.jpg

Thanks all,
@BlackHand: That's right it is in your main window but I would prefer to have it in view om my navigation window (with map) in left hand window instead of needing to change views.
@ava1ar: That is a pity, still strange that they would discontinue a flexible hub that allows you to use your own phone, this kind of goes against the flow.
I do know that there is a dev environment for the app, I'll take a peak at that and see what the possibilities are.

@ava1ar: That is a pity, still strange that they would discontinue a flexible hub that allows you to use your own phone, this kind of goes against the flow.
I do know that there is a dev environment for the app, I'll take a peak at that and see what the possibilities are.
They kind of replaced it with new device and new app on their new platform, which is architected much better and much more user-servicable. I believe they learned a lot from feedback about SmartphoneHub, however to benefit from this you need new bike :(
This was actually the reason I got Nyon upgrade - this is the best display they have for old platform and hopefully help me to continue using my previous-gen Boach bike longer.

Arghh... a new bike 😢. I'll just have to do with the little discomfort then. Strange though, it should be just a software issue, input from bike and hub will probably stay the same. Oh well, we'll see. Thanks all the same and have fun.

Arghh... a new bike 😢. I'll just have to do with the little discomfort then. Strange though, it should be just a software issue, input from bike and hub will probably stay the same. Oh well, we'll see. Thanks all the same and have fun.
Well, you request can be quite easily implemented in old app if only Bosch really have interest doing so. But they are not and their support of old platform is really very limited and SmartphoneHub is not on the list at all :(

Regarding new platform - it is completely different and incompatible with any of old things: new CAN bus, new modules wiring approach, new charger plug on bikes and battery, etc.

That sounds like a major makeover.
I'll give it a go with Bosch although my experience with Bosch support is not that great (like no replies or reactions).

I'll give it a go with Bosch although my experience with Bosch support is not that great (like no replies or reactions).
They are B2B company. Meaning they don't sell parts to end users and don't do support for end users either. They work with bike manufacturers, stores and service centers instead. And my LBS is happy with them - they are responsive and great at warranties. I confirmed it myself when they were able to replace faulty motor on my bike within a week (after Bosch confirmed the defect and shipped new motor pretty much immediately). They are one of the ebike industry leaders for a reason.

Last edited:
They are B2B company. Meaning they don't sell parts to end users and don't do support for end users either. They work with bike manufacturers, stores and service centers instead. And my LBS is happy with them - they are responsive and great at warranties. I confirmed it myself when they were able to replace faulty motor on my bike within a week (after Bosch confirmed the defect and shipped new motor pretty much immediately). They are one of the ebike industry leaders for a reason.
Not quite true. They are mostly an OEM supplier, but also sell products in a retail environment. That's why we can buy a NYON kit to upgrade our cobi.bike dog.
It's interesting how they bought an open platform in cobi.bike, then essentially killed off any independent developer work - just take a look at the lack of traffic on the developer forum on the Bosch cobi.bike web pages.

Yes, they seem to be re-purposing the smartphone hub to be part of their new Smart System. Whether they'll do any better, though, is an open question.

I will say that upgrading to a Nyon (which is really easy from the smartphone hub) was the best move I made with my Allant so far...

Not quite true. They are mostly an OEM supplier, but also sell products in a retail environment. That's why we can buy a NYON kit to upgrade our cobi.bike dog.
Hm, have you bought Nyon directly from Bosch? I doubt so. Yes, some parts are available for sale here and there, but I don't think it is Bosch who selling them. This is different resellers which got some Bosch items via OEM channels.

Hm, have you bought Nyon directly from Bosch? I doubt so. Yes, some parts are available for sale here and there, but I don't think it is Bosch who selling them. This is different resellers which got some Bosch items via OEM channels.
You're confusing DTC with normal retail channels. Bosch packages some parts, such as the Nyon upgrade, as a retail product, in retail packaging. An OEM part would generally be supplied in a generic, low cost bulk package, not single colorful packaging. They also provide a consumer warranty, which is different from an OEM warranty.
Most consumer products are bought through retailers - refrigerators, food, clothing, yet the mfgr provides warranty, support and such. You wouldn't contact your washer retailer for service on your washer, for example (yes, exceptions yada yada).

You're confusing DTC with normal retail channels. Bosch packages some parts, such as the Nyon upgrade, as a retail product, in retail packaging. An OEM part would generally be supplied in a generic, low cost bulk package, not single colorful packaging. They also provide a consumer warranty, which is different from an OEM warranty.
Most consumer products are bought through retailers - refrigerators, food, clothing, yet the mfgr provides warranty, support and such. You wouldn't contact your washer retailer for service on your washer, for example (yes, exceptions yada yada).
Yes, that makes sense - there are some parts (not many), which are packaged and branded. Not sure about the warranty though - do they have phone/e-mail support for end users? I prefer to deal with Bosch via LBS - much less headache. Also Bosch-certified LBS can do lots of things end-users can't due to close nature of Boach ecosystem.

Yes, that makes sense - there are some parts (not many), which are packaged and branded. Not sure about the warranty though - do they have phone/e-mail support for end users? I prefer to deal with Bosch via LBS - much less headache. Also Bosch-certified LBS can do lots of things end-users can't due to close nature of Boach ecosystem.
It's a bit complicated. They have, in theory, retail channel tech support. My experience, with a cobi.bike problem, where an update broke several functions, left a lot to be desired, which prompted my switch to Nyon. Non-retail components, like DU, don't have any consumer level support. It's all LBS oriented. "Right to Repair" might ultimately affect this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back