How can I carry an extra battery that is 15.6 in. Long?

Bigal1463

I would like to be able to carry an extra battery for those long rides. I’m concerned that if I tie it on my rack with bungee chords, that it may fall off. Was wondering how others transport them. Don’t know if a Pannier is the way to go and do they make them long enough to hold my battery?

I purchased an extra integrated battery 48v14ah 15.6" long. I tried 4 different rack bags and returned them all to Amazon as none were large enough. So I went with a black mesh wire basket. It was too tall at 12" I'm 65 and not as limber and I couldn't swing my leg high enough. So I cut it down to 5". Added this black door edge moulding to top edge and held tightly with zip ties. Also added a bunge net with a dark cover to keep eyes away. Battery sits on a thin pad in the diagonal held with velcro ties. So far it has served me very well and it barely attracts attention. First pic is the original size, second it the cut down size. I was going to add a pvc pipe but that looked very crude and afraid it may fall out. This is the best solution for me.

Attachments

• SportR500-016.jpg
    SportR500-016.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 410
  • SportR500-030.jpg
    SportR500-030.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 375
  • SportR500-020.jpg
    SportR500-020.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 380
I purchased an extra integrated battery 48v14ah 15.6" long. I tried 4 different rack bags and returned them all to Amazon as none were large enough. So I went with a black mesh wire basket. It was too tall at 12" I'm 65 and not as limber and I couldn't swing my leg high enough. So I cut it down to 5". Added this black door edge moulding to top edge and held tightly with zip ties. Also added a bunge net with a dark cover to keep eyes away. Battery sits on a thin pad in the diagonal held with velcro ties. So far it has served me very well and it barely attracts attention. First pic is the original size, second it the cut down size. I was going to add a pvc pipe but that looked very crude and afraid it may fall out. This is the best solution for me.

Well since you're carrying the weight anyway, why not get a battery mount and stick it on that long down tube of yours. You could probably get a dual battery setup and you wouldn't even have to switch the batteries. The weight would be more balanced that way as well. Might fit on your top tube too. Or buy or have made a pouch with strong velcro straps to hang it under your top tube.

Last edited:
Well since you're carrying the weight anyway, why not get a battery mount and stick it on that long down tube of yours. You could probably get a dual battery setup and you wouldn't even have to switch the batteries. The weight would be more balanced that way as well. Might fit on your top tube too.

There is no mounting points anywhere on the downtube. I did get extra connections when I purchased the cell. I'm sure someone with proper know how can add it to the downtube. I would like a better solution but so far this one is working for now.

See page one of this thread. Scroll down. Beats your basket hands down.

How about a 20inch piece of suitable diameter PVC pipe. Do away with the basket, secure the pipe to the rack, blank off the front end, screw end on the back. Maybe some soft padding inside. Rattle can a nice mat black paint, the screw on cap painted red flames and you can tell everyone your rocket propelled.

Use Ortlieb Bike-Packer pannier with Ortlieb Commuter Insert. Proven for heavy batteries up to 18" long. The Bike-Packer is sold in pairs. A Commuter Inserts is sold apiece. The Inserts (one piece despite of the name) is placed at the bottom of the pannier to protect it against being torn by the battery.

1599557270351.png

I carry Vado and Trance E+ batteries as shown. The Trance E+ battery is 18" long.

Last edited:
Use Ortlieb Bike-Packer pannier with Ortlieb Commuter Insert. Proven for heavy batteries up to 18" long. The Bike-Packer is sold in pairs. A Commuter Inserts is sold apiece. The Inserts (one piece despite of the name) is placed at the bottom of the pannier to protect it against being torn by the battery.

View attachment 64791
I carry Vado and Trance E+ batteries as shown. The Trance E+ battery is 18" long.
I just went to the Ortlieb web site and these panniers are listed as sold out.

I’m pondering a beer can cooler strapped to the rack or carried like a yoga mat. It’s cushioned, insulated, and color-selectable. I’m considering a Burley Nomad trailer for longer tours and the cooler would protect the battery in that trailer also.

Attachments

• 0D5CCB5C-99AD-44F0-A221-9F413435ABED.jpeg
    0D5CCB5C-99AD-44F0-A221-9F413435ABED.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 313
I use Arkel T-28 panniers.
IMG_0729e.jpg panniers-t-28-from-arkel-9.jpg

I carry my 15" battery in one, and gear & tools in the other to balance the load. There is enough room to wrap the battery in foam padding to protect it from a spill. Your 15.6" battery should fit since you can put it in the pannier diagonally.

I use a cargo trailer to carry extra batteries. It prevents my bike from getting too rear heavy and I can carry food and water.

Back