How are you guys lifting your ebikes over your truck tailgate pad?

Yamahonian

Was going to pick up the new raceface t2 tailgate pad for my truck, but first I tried to lift up the bike over the closed tailgate.

Wow, thats heavy! Thr bike is 50 pounds, and I just can't lift it up that high.

How are you guys lifting that heavy bike over the tailgate to transport on a tailgate pad?

Feel your pain. I eventually gave up trying to make a pad on my truck's tailgate work and went with a bike carrier installed in the hitch. Later on (as some of my bikes got even heavier) I have used a tow behind utility trailer most of the time, swapping the ball out for the bike carrier only when I was going extra long distance and taking one of my lighter ebikes.

For your setup, you almost need ramps like you would with a motorbike to walk the bike up (using the throttle perhaps to assist?) and then close the tail gate with the pad, lift the bike over the pad while in the bed, hop down and put the ramps in the bed with your bike. I have a buddy with a truck and 90lb fat tire ebike that does this, but also had a motor bike he carries in his truck bed using the same ramps so he already had the ramps to work with.

Good luck!

I was looking at them this week too, now with another mountain bike.
But lifting a ebike over the tailgate is a non-starter, so I gave up. I still load them and tie them down like motorcycles. You don't need a ramp, just pop the front tire up then lift the seat-stay and it's right up, tie it down. With a long box it's kind of moot.

We'll have 3 bikes we take in the pickup, they ride like this:

DSC00427.jpg

Feel your pain. I eventually gave up trying to make a pad on my truck's tailgate work and went with a bike carrier installed in the hitch. Later on (as some of my bikes got even heavier) I have used a tow behind utility trailer most of the time, swapping the ball out for the bike carrier only when I was going extra long distance and taking one of my lighter ebikes.

For your setup, you almost need ramps like you would with a motorbike to walk the bike up (using the throttle perhaps to assist?) and then close the tail gate with the pad, lift the bike over the pad while in the bed, hop down and put the ramps in the bed with your bike. I have a buddy with a truck and 90lb fat tire ebike that does this, but also had a motor bike he carries in his truck bed using the same ramps so he already had the ramps to work with.

Good luck!

What you suggested with the ramps is basically what I am already doing. Currently, I have a 2x4 piece of plywood that I keep in the bed. I use the plywood to wheel the eBike up into the bed, and then strap it down with a couple ratchet straps. I use a Gorilla stepstool to help me get into the bed.

I had wanted a tailgate pad because it seems to be a safer way to transport the bike. If one of my ratchet straps breaks while driving on a highway, the bike could fly right off of the bed. With the tailgate pad, the bike is held in place by the tailgate.

It is a decent hassle to wheel up the bike, close the tailgate, turn the bike around, and then throw the bike over the tailgate pad. I was hoping to save time/energy with the tailgate pad.

The only thing that I can think of is to fabricate ramps out of plywood that would go from the ground to the top of the closed tailgate. I could wheel up the bike, set down on the pad, then throw the plywood back in the truck. Still, not ideal.

I use 3 different transport options- ford ranger, giant full e ( 53 lb.)

On the tailgate I lift with my right arm down low on the seat post, left holding a fork leg. Lift the bike at about 45 degrees to get the rear over. Once the back wheel is over the tailgate it's relatively easy. Not pretty, and it's a hell of a lot easier lifting the kids normal bikes. Unloading is harder - I try to park so I can stand on something.....

If I'm alone, I just use the tray - I'll drop the tailgate and reverse the bike into the tray, motorbike ratchet straps - dead easy.

For longer drives or with all 5 bikes I use a vertical bike rack - HEAPS easier to load. But the rack is as heavy as my bike and even more cumbersome to get onto the car.......

NB A tailgate pad is really only suitable for shorter trips - fork legs can rub, the frame rubs, and sometimes the bike can tip.

If you want a ramp - look at folding motorbike or atv ramps? Alloy, wide, and designed to fold to fit in utes

Was going to pick up the new raceface t2 tailgate pad for my truck, but first I tried to lift up the bike over the closed tailgate.

Wow, thats heavy! Thr bike is 50 pounds, and I just can't lift it up that high.

How are you guys lifting that heavy bike over the tailgate to transport on a tailgate pad?

I saw someone with a similar tailgate pad load his e-bike at a trailhead parking lot . He lowered the tailgate, put the bike in the bed and raised the tailgate under the bike. It was awkward at best and would only work with a single bike.

I also carry my bikes in a pickup and long ago gave up lifting them into the bed. At 74, these heavy e-bikes are a chore for me to transport. IMO, If you're going to dedicate your pickup bed to carrying bikes, why not buy or make something like this:

Pic 2.jpg Pic 7.jpg Pic 4.jpg Pic 5.jpg Pic 6.jpg Pic 1.JPG

These have been posted here many times and the first one is my avatar pic. I've been using variations of this rack for over 10 years and the concept works very well.
It's made from scrap pieces of PVC pipe and cost less than most hitch style racks. There is no attachment to the truck at all and the rack easily slides out when not in use.

I saw someone with a similar tailgate pad load his e-bike at a trailhead parking lot . He lowered the tailgate, put the bike in the bed and raised the tailgate under the bike. It was awkward at best and would only work with a single bike.

I also carry my bikes in a pickup and long ago gave up lifting them into the bed. At 74, these heavy e-bikes are a chore for me to transport. IMO, If you're going to dedicate your pickup bed to carrying bikes, why not buy or make something like this:

View attachment 64468 View attachment 64472 View attachment 64469 View attachment 64470 View attachment 64471 View attachment 64467

These have been posted here many times and the first one is my avatar pic. I've been using variations of this rack for over 10 years and the concept works very well.
It's made from scrap pieces of PVC pipe and cost less than most hitch style racks. There is no attachment to the truck at all and the rack easily slides out when not in use.
Brilliant setup. Impressive.

I was looking at them this week too, now with another mountain bike.
But lifting a ebike over the tailgate is a non-starter, so I gave up. I still load them and tie them down like motorcycles. You don't need a ramp, just pop the front tire up then lift the seat-stay and it's right up, tie it down. With a long box it's kind of moot.

We'll have 3 bikes we take in the pickup, they ride like this:

DSC00427.jpg

Old school... well done! ;)

View attachment 64468 View attachment 64472 View attachment 64469 View attachment 64470 View attachment 64471 View attachment 64467

The best use of PVC pipe I have seen yet! ;)

I made trough ramps out of 1x4's that hook on the open tailgate so I can just roll my e-trike and 2 ebikes up into the bed of my Ford Ranger. I then slide the ramps which are just under 6' long between the bikes to carry them. I also made a 2 piece rack out of 1x4's that keep the bikes upright and stable while carrying them. The whole thing works great. I will try to post some pictures sometime.

Last edited:

Are there any detailed plans on how to build this?

Are there any detailed plans on how to build this?

Unfortunately, no. Every truck has different bed dimensions and the rack has to fit snugly since it isn't tied down. The PVC base has to be custom built for every truck bed. I can post more detailed pics though if it would help.

works great and folds in two for my ford ranger with trek super commuter 8s

Looks great. I have a 5 foot truck bed. How long is it when folded up?

Would this ramp work with the tailgate closed, to get the bike over the closed tailgate and onto a tailgate pad?

Any pictures?

I’m gonna just buy some cheap vinyl gutter material for a ramp just to make it easier to get it up on my rack when it’s on the truck.

We just have an 8ft length of 2x10 or 12 for a ramp and one of us climbs into the bed of the truck and one of us loads from the ground. But we don't hang the front wheels over the tailgate. We stand the bikes next to the wheel wells, with the kickstands towards the center, and tie to the sides. Seems to work fine.

Back