House Representatives Panetta & Blumenauer introduce "e-bike Act" federal tax credit

@DavidZipper reports the sausage making is still underway with the House Rules Committee having now cut the max value of the proposed tax credit to $900, the max price of an eligible ebike to $4,000, and individuals must make less than $75,000, or $150,000 if Married Filing Jointly.
Source:

I believe the tax credit was restored to 30% and is included in the Infrastructure bill that passed last weekend. It's a little more restrictive than I thought. It starts next year, so bikes already purchased don't qualify. Also, it's means tested, using the same income limits as the most recent Covid payments. Bikes sold will need some special vehicle number on them too,

So have fun guys/gals with your next ebikes.

I believe the tax credit was restored to 30% and is included in the Infrastructure bill that passed last weekend. It's a little more restrictive than I thought. It starts next year, so bikes already purchased don't qualify. Also, it's means tested, using the same income limits as the most recent Covid payments. Bikes sold will need some special vehicle number on them too,

So have fun guys/gals with your next ebikes.
No, the ebike tax credit is in the Build Back Better Act that is still under discussion, what was passed last weekend was the Infrastructure, Investment & Jobs Act

Last edited:
Unfortunately quite a few of us already invested in an e-bike in 2021 or 2022 after this first popped up, and we probably won't get a thing since they've been dragging their feet for over 2 years now.

Last edited:
Every one of these programs I have seen has a ton of paperwork. To qualify you need to be on food stamps and get a cheap, junky bike and only thru a dealer that has registered to participate.

Sen Schatz has posted the bill text https://www.schatz.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/e-bike_act_2023.pdf

Two important revisions to the bill are: 1. it now requires eligible e-bikes either be certified to UL 2849 or that the battery be certified to any of the battery safety standards referenced in UL 2849 or recognized by the CPSC; and 2. it requires manufacturers assign a VIN number to eligible e-bikes using a method unique to the manufacturer or by another method provided by the Department of Transportation.

Last edited:
Sen Schatz has posted the bill text https://www.schatz.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/e-bike_act_2023.pdf

Two important revisions to the bill are: 1. it now requires eligible e-bikes either be certified to UL 2849 or that the battery be certified to any of the battery safety standards referenced in UL 2849 or recognized by the CPSC; and 2. it requires manufacturers assign a VIN number to eligible e-bikes using a method unique to the manufacturer or by another method provided by the Department of Transportation.
Does that mean class 3 e-bikes could then be registered as a motorized bicycle in DC?

Does that mean class 3 e-bikes could then be registered as a motorized bicycle in DC?
No, they could be registered with the DMV as a Motor Driven Cycle. DC law classes e-bikes by their top speed capability as follows: Motorized Bicycle is speed capped to 20mph, Motor Driven Cycle up to 30mph, anything capable of being operated at speeds over 30mph is considered a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Back