Hooray for New Bike Day: Vado 4.0 2022

Axis

Region
USA
I just picked up a 2022 Vado 4.0 and the new tailwind bags. I spent the last year on a 3.0 Como and put 1000 miles on it. Now that covid has waned and I can commute to the office again (60-mile round trip) I decided to upgrade. Really impressed with this bike and going from class 1 (420 watt-hour battery) to class 3 (710 watt-hour battery) is a real game-changer. I also like the slightly more aggressive riding posture of the Vado. The bags and the rack are stellar. In case you are wondering you can fit a case of beer cans in each bag with a little room to spare . :)

Attachments

• IMG_3496.heic copy.jpg
    IMG_3496.heic copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 460
  • IMG_3497.heic copy.jpg
    IMG_3497.heic copy.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_3498.heic copy.jpg
    IMG_3498.heic copy.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_3499.heic copy.jpg
    IMG_3499.heic copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 469
Very impressive range if you can achieve that on one charge.
Happy riding. Cool bike. Like the Chilli Red.

It could be possible. My commute is flat except for one steep hill that is only about half a mile long. Once I really have a good feel for how the battery performs I'll see if I can make it on one charge.

I got 52 miles on my trek with the 620 watt battery thats on flats and me averaging 135 watts. and 16.5mph average.

Wow Axis, that’s an amazing commute. Very impressive.
Please post how it goes for you.
Thank you I will. I used to ride this commute when I was younger on a single speed for a couple of decades. I stopped when my son got cancer (cured now) and hadn't ridden for a while. However, last year I bought a Como 3.0 and rode 1000 miles. On a bike like the Vado I know 100% I can still make it and if I really want to ride over 24 mph I will have to work for it...but if I don't then I don't have to worry about making it home.

Will you be able to charge the battery at work? A single charge should be able to go round trip, unless there’s a nasty headwind. They are a sneaky invisible battery drainers.

My biggest problem with a commute like that would simply be the time it takes, but to each their own.
I only have a year before retirement and my employer is fine with me being 100% remote, but I can go in if I want. I am just trying to have fun and break up the monotony. I have worked remotely since 2016... the last two years due to covid and in the preceding 4 years I worked from a pediatric oncology ward while my child was being treated.

Let's just say I have a lot of extra "energy" borne from suffering and anger that I need to do something positive with.. 30 years ago when I came home from my last military deployment I had a lot of the same trauma that I worked off commuting.

My biggest problem with a commute like that would simply be the time it takes, but to each their own.
I use to commute about 17 miles each way, twice a week and only in good weather, although, I did get caught by the hidden shower on occasion. I was lucky and could store my bike in the office where I used it as clothes line to dry the biking clothes. I left a change of wardrobe at the office including underwear and a blazer and ties.

Very nice bike Axis. But 60 miles? Isn't that like 4 hours round trip? Do you get up that early in the morning?

Mike...
Ya basically just under 4 hours and yes I hit the road at 5:30am. I am still hyperactive even at 53. I was even riding BMX, racing, riding ramps up until my son got cancer when I was 47. I'd probably still be riding ramps if I didn't have to stop (lived in the pediatric oncology ward for a few years). Once you stop that kind of riding it's really hard at any age to get back into it... but at 53 I think that ship has sailed. Plus I have a serious musical commitment and I can't risk breaking bones, hands, wrists etc.. I am transitioning into retirement early and will be going on tour to play guitar with a band. I only have 6 months left to commute and I love a challenge like 60 miles. Let's face it on a powerful e-bike I can make it as hard or easy as I want.

Ya basically just under 4 hours and yes I hit the road at 5:30am. I am still hyperactive even at 53. I was even riding BMX, racing, riding ramps up until my son got cancer when I was 47. I'd probably still be riding ramps if I didn't have to stop (lived in the pediatric oncology ward for a few years). Once you stop that kind of riding it's really hard at any age to get back into it... but at 53 I think that ship has sailed. Plus I have a serious musical commitment and I can't risk breaking bones, hands, wrists etc.. I am transitioning into retirement early and will be going on tour to play guitar with a band. I only have 6 months left to commute and I love a challenge like 60 miles. Let's face it on a powerful e-bike I can make it as hard or easy as I want.
Get a second battery, and bump it up to turbo mode all the way! ha! It'll get you to retirement faster too! ;)

Mike..;)

@mikeschn:
I noticed you had mounted your Mirrycle upwards. Such a setup had some drawbacks:
  • Making the bars wider
  • Easy to damage the mirror (bikes tend to fall, sometimes without the rider)
See the alternative setup:
1651301382839.png

This is what many riders, for example David Berry do.

@mikeschn:
I noticed you had mounted your Mirrycle upwards. Such a setup had some drawbacks:
  • Making the bars wider
  • Easy to damage the mirror (bikes tend to fall, sometimes without the rider)
This is what many riders, for example David Berry do.
Yes, I noticed some riders mounting their mirrycle upside down. Interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for spotting that!

Mike...

Back