Hooray for New Bike Day: Vado 4.0 2022

Just be aware that with some bicycle racks having the mirror downwards interferes with a second bike on the rack.
I appreciate the info. The mirror I am using does not have a long enough arm to go below or above the bars. It's rather small, to begin with.

@mikeschn:
I noticed you had mounted your Mirrycle upwards. Such a setup had some drawbacks:
  • Making the bars wider
  • Easy to damage the mirror (bikes tend to fall, sometimes without the rider)
See the alternative setup:
View attachment 121854
This is what many riders, for example David Berry do.
So I tried mounting my mirrycle upside down. I found my arm blocked the mirror and I couldn't use it unless I moved my arm. :-( So I moved it back to the upright position.

Mike...

So I tried mounting my mirrycle upside down. I found my arm blocked the mirror and I couldn't use it unless I moved my arm. :-( So I moved it back to the upright position.

Mike...
I also didn't care for having the Mirrcycle in that position for various subjective reasons, such as having to look down more than I'd prefer. I haven't put one like it on my SL (yet) since I'm trying out a different one that I like so far.

I owned a 2021 Vado 4 SL....loved the bike, but not enough torque for tough hills. Just ordered the 2022 Vado 4 in red.....should arrive soon. Thanks...

I owned a 2021 Vado 4 SL....loved the bike, but not enough torque for tough hills. Just ordered the 2022 Vado 4 in red.....should arrive soon. Thanks...
Hey Sefutau, Can you elaborate on that? I'm trying to deicide between the Vado and the Vado SL. Test riding around a parking lot and flat straights just doesn't give me the feel for how the SL would handle on the hills.

Greetings….first off, they are both great bikes and products. The only advantage of having the SL would be if you live in an apartment and need to carry it up stairs. The SL really is light, nimble, and relatively fast on the flats. For my riding still, which is mostly paved bike trails and streets, the heavier more powerful Vado is just more fun to ride. The range is likely to be better on the Vado, although I have yet to test it, but the SL could deliver roughly 70 miles in ECO on a full charge. I also have a Trek 8s, and even though it is heavy, I never get tired of the 85nm of torque. For the money, I think you can’t go wrong with the Vado 4. I hope that helps…

Greetings….first off, they are both great bikes and products. The only advantage of having the SL would be if you live in an apartment and need to carry it up stairs. The SL really is light, nimble, and relatively fast on the flats. For my riding still, which is mostly paved bike trails and streets, the heavier more powerful Vado is just more fun to ride. The range is likely to be better on the Vado, although I have yet to test it, but the SL could deliver roughly 70 miles in ECO on a full charge. I also have a Trek 8s, and even though it is heavy, I never get tired of the 85nm of torque. For the money, I think you can’t go wrong with the Vado 4. I hope that helps…
Thanks for the response. I have only been able to ride the SL. Next week I'll be in Colorado and there are two dealers there that have the regular Vado's so I'll finally be able to test ride one of those. I gotta say, I like the light weight of the SL but I'm not going to be lifting the bike or dealing with stairs and such. I'm afraid that the SL will not have enough power for me for very long hills I'll ride in Colorado. I'm riding with 60 something year old legs! Also my wife has a Como that has the larger motor and I'm not sue If I'll be able to keep up with her on long rides with the SL. Hopefully soon I'll be able to make a decision. Miss riding since I sold my 21 Turbo Levo Comp.

Understood....my legs (59) are rapidly approaching 60....and I can tell you, more torque is better, especially for hills. In my experience, even in turbo mode, the SL could barely get up a steep hill on my normal 60 mile ride loop. Every bike I've owned gets tested on that loop, and the more power/torque, the momre enjoyable the ride has been for me...even in lower assist modes. Take care and good luck.

I do live in an apartment and have to carry e-bike upstairs, hence the Vado SL being my everyday e-bike. It is fun to ride it as long as it is the flats :)
Still, I use my full power Vado on long demanding trips, especially in hilly areas. And I totally agree with Sefutau you need the motor power for significant hills, especially when you cannot improve your legs.

However, I disagree the Vado (especially the 4.0 with 500 Wh battery) would have a better range than the SL. Full power Vado roughly consumes twice as much of the battery charge as compared to Vado SL (reducing the rider's own contribution in the ride by half). As Vado SL's battery is 320 Wh but the battery consumption is half of that of the Vado 4.0, the SL range on the flats is higher.

My overall comparison between these two bikes is: It is so easy to ride the big Vado on the flats you think you are cheating :) Vado SL feels "just-a-bike". Still, it would be a disaster if I took my Vado SL in the mountains... The strong Vado 5.0 with mountain-grade gearing barely conquers very steep and long inclines (but still does the work!)

1653812037453.png

It is so good to own a Vado 5.0 and be able to customize it to the 38-46T bottom gear! I had to stop before the road-sign and then to re-start the ride! :) And I was actually singing while climbing that hill! (It was not the worst of all the hills I could climb on my Vado...)

1653812329297.png

After the sixth big hill climbed on another day :)

I do love my Vado SL when used in its proper role. Long but slower rides: yes. Pavement, gravel, mild off-road: fantastic, especially because of its low weight. Big hills? Nah.

I've been riding my 2022 Vado 4 since March and it's a dream. Regarding range, I've ridden mostly on paved greenbelt trails and streets in the Denver metro area this summer. Just a few hills here and there, but I ride 90% of the time in ECO mode. Though my rides are generally 30-40 miles long, typically the range remaining indicates I have a 75-80 mile total range available. I doubt I'll ever ride that far but I do have a goal to do a 50-mile ride soon. I'm confident that range anxiety will not be an issue when I do!

Back