Hitch Rack for Supercommuter+ 8S

Dougmaui

Hi,

Tried to get two new Super-commuters on a Thule Easy-Fold. Short story, I couldn't do it. I decided to put the two bikes on the rack in opposite directions so that there wouldn't be much interference - especially with the handlebars and shifters and brakes. I was able to use the long bar with the jaw clamp to hold the outer bike. The inner clamp rod is just too short. I called Thule and they said they hadn't heard about it, but would offer no solution. I said that if they would exchange the short rod with the longer one, I could cut it and the bolt down to fit. They said that they don't provide alternate solutions and that if I bought a longer rod and cut it down it would void my warranty...The Easy-Fold is sitting in a box for UPS to pick up.

I did call a Trek store and they said that they were aware of the problem and suggested that the Saris MTR-2 was more flexible, more precise, and higher quality, but more money. I ordered one today.

I would really appreciate if someone else who has successfully put two Super-commuters on a hitch rack would weight in!

Dougmaui,
No problems mounting two Super Commuters on my Thule Easy-Fold XT-2. See photos.
Best,
Keith

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1211.jpeg
    IMG_1211.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 482
Hi,

Tried to get two new Super-commuters on a Thule Easy-Fold. Short story, I couldn't do it. I decided to put the two bikes on the rack in opposite directions so that there wouldn't be much interference - especially with the handlebars and shifters and brakes. I was able to use the long bar with the jaw clamp to hold the outer bike. The inner clamp rod is just too short. I called Thule and they said they hadn't heard about it, but would offer no solution. I said that if they would exchange the short rod with the longer one, I could cut it and the bolt down to fit. They said that they don't provide alternate solutions and that if I bought a longer rod and cut it down it would void my warranty...The Easy-Fold is sitting in a box for UPS to pick up.

I did call a Trek store and they said that they were aware of the problem and suggested that the Saris MTR-2 was more flexible, more precise, and higher quality, but more money. I ordered one today.

I would really appreciate if someone else who has successfully put two Super-commuters on a hitch rack would weight in!
I have the Thule T2 XT Pro, and have carry two SC's with zero problems. They have been from NJ to AZ and back, as well as NJ to FL twice. Maybe that's something you can try. Problem is you have to lift them. Perhaps that is what you were trying to avoid.

I just got a Kuat rack. Very stable, it has a ball bearing you crank into the receiver corner to stabilize and I got the optional ramp so I can wheel the bikes up!

This rack looks a lot like the design of the 1Up racks. As I was strongly considering the 1Up Super Duty Double for my two big eBikes, I'd be interested in comparisons, too.

Last edited:
I have the Thule T2 XT Pro, and have carry two SC's with zero problems. They have been from NJ to AZ and back, as well as NJ to FL twice. Maybe that's something you can try. Problem is you have to lift them. Perhaps that is what you were trying to avoid.
I am looking for an ebike rack. My wife has a Trek Allant 7 with fenders. I called Thule and was told that they don't recommend the T2 XT Pro for ebikes with fenders. They said the Shepherd's hook needs to be close to the top of the front fork. They directed me to the Easy Fold. It's interesting because a lot of people seem to be using the T2 XT successfully and I've had dealers recommend them. The same goes for the Kuat racks. Their customer service person told me that they don't make a rack for ebikes with fenders. I'm not sure I'd like the Easy Fold because it has a clamp that attaches to the frame of the bike. I am hoping to avoid that. I still haven't finalized my choice.

I am looking for an ebike rack. My wife has a Trek Allant 7 with fenders. I called Thule and was told that they don't recommend the T2 XT Pro for ebikes with fenders. They said the Shepherd's hook needs to be close to the top of the front fork. They directed me to the Easy Fold. It's interesting because a lot of people seem to be using the T2 XT successfully and I've had dealers recommend them. The same goes for the Kuat racks. Their customer service person told me that they don't make a rack for ebikes with fenders. I'm not sure I'd like the Easy Fold because it has a clamp that attaches to the frame of the bike. I am hoping to avoid that. I still haven't finalized my choice.
That is interesting that they don’t recommend. It has been three years with the T2 XT and it has worked well. I have always made sure the hook was right against the front fender and then made sure it was well locked in place. We also have a thick 9 foot cable with lock. That cable is just long enough to go through the center of the bikes and one set of tires to lock the bikes to the rack. It is certainly for security, but also ensures that if one hook gets loose, the bike won’t wind up in the middle of the road. The hook has only loosened once and the cable made sure the bike stayed on the rack.

Back