Himiway brakes

SYL

I am a brand new Himiway owner. I want to explore when it’s time, to the possibility of upgrading to hydraulic brakes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
No suggestions on which upgrade but you will like the Hydraulic brakes.

I wonder if it’s even worth the expense to go from mechanical to hydraulic. I would have my local bike shop do the work anyway. I would most likely screw it up!

I went from mechanical to hydraulic. It is well worth it!

What kind of brake inhibitor connector does Himiway have? Higo 2 pin? or is it 3 pin?
I unfortunately don’t know enough about the system to give you any an answer. What do you think I should pay do an entirely new brake system installed?

I unfortunately don’t know enough about the system to give you any an answer. What do you think I should pay do an entirely new brake system installed?
I wonder if the Shimano hydraulics made for the RAD Rover would work on my Himiway?

sorry it was a typo, I meant to say motor inhibitor on brake. Not brake inhibitor, but anyways..

Higo or Julet are one of the most common connector companies, I suspect Himiway uses Higo.

They look like these.
Higo Waterproof Connector 2 3 4 5 6 8 pin cable lead 1m ebike electric  bafang | eBay

Ebike brakes have motor inhibitor connectors.
I was wondering if you knew which one you had, if you don't know which one you have, are you able to pull it and check which one you have?
New-Arrival-Bicycle-Brake-Lever-For-Electric-Bike-Parts-Power-Cut-off-Brake-Levers-Black-ebike.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp
Sorry for the lengthy delay in response and thank you for taking the time to answer! I was told by two different bike shops this could not be done. So I will keep and be happy with what I have. Thanks again.

I have to say that's BS.

Most bike shop do not know what they're talking about (from my experience anyways).

Have you taken your bike to reputable bike shop?
Yes we do have decent bike shops, I have a feeling they didn’t want to deal with it. It ok, now I know what to look for in my next bike. Certainly something lighter than 72 pounds! I’m good with my Himiway. I really do have fun riding it and that’s what counts.

Sorry for the lengthy delay in response and thank you for taking the time to answer! I was told by two different bike shops this could not be done. So I will keep and be happy with what I have. Thanks again.
FYI
I'm over 300lbs, have a very modified high performance bike that's ridden in area with coastal hills (some pretty big), and many of those hills have a stop sign (not so conveniently placed) at the bottom. My MECHANICAL brakes rarely need service, have served me well, and I have no intention of replacing them any time soon.....

That said, I have another bike with hydraulic, and I do like the feel of those brakes a little better.

The trick to the mechanical brakes is proper setup. They should be nearly silent if they're working right. -Al

Yes we do have decent bike shops, I have a feeling they didn’t want to deal with it. It ok, now I know what to look for in my next bike. Certainly something lighter than 72 pounds! I’m good with my Himiway. I really do have fun riding it and that’s what counts.
You could upgrade to hydraulic brakes for around $200 using TRP HY/RD calipers and not need to change the electronic parts. I swapped my mechanical brakes for HY/RD's last year. Huge difference.

HY/RD's are cable actuated dual piston hydraulic brakes. Instead of the handlebar, TRP moved the fluid reservoir to the top part of the caliper. You squeeze the brake and the arm on the caliper compresses the fluid.

Okay well if you change your mind, just post a pic of your connector.

It's a relatively easy mod, you just need to get a motor inhibitor that matches your connector.
In the worse case scenario, you might just have to solder (or simply use pre-soldered heat shrink tube, if they have small enough ones) connector wires, but that's it.
It's a relatively easy mod and ebike tuners like Luna or Grin would do it no problem.

I can't believe your bike shop said it can't be done, it's like the simplest mod that DIY ebike builders on Endless Sphere do it all the time.
Lol! Do you make house calls ?

Those brakes are still being exposed to cable friction though, for the price, I think full hydraulic would be a better choice.
(though I understand that ease of installation can be very attractive to some people)
I apply very little brake handle pressure and my bike stops forcibly and evenly. I don't notice any cable restriction.

Plus, there are no long hydraulic lines for bubbles to collect and must be bled. Only the little reservoir on the caliper.

If I want to change my steering height, handle bars, or angle and the cables too short, I simply run a new cable and housing. Not hydraulic lines.

If one's bike is equipped with cable driven disc brakes, these TRP HY/RD's are a nice upgrade.

Those brakes are still being exposed to cable friction though, for the price, I think full hydraulic would be a better choice.
(though I understand that ease of installation can be very attractive to some people)

There's a YouTube channel called CitizenCycle and he reported there was a very small difference in terms of performance between stock RadRover mechanical brakes and Juin Tech cable actuated hydraulic brakes.
You know, I’m thinking I’ve been around the block a few times and I will probably just stick with what I’ve got. I would surely screw myself in the long run trying to make a change to a bike that I’m 95% happy with. There will always be something else to spend $$ on in the future ..... I think.

You know, I’m thinking I’ve been around the block a few times and I will probably just stick with what I’ve got. I would surely screw myself in the long run trying to make a change to a bike that I’m 95% happy with. There will always be something else to spend $$ on in the future ..... I think.
Good plan. Don't make mods just cuz. Ride it for a while, then fix what irritates you with a mod if/when necessary - and your own 'druthers in mind. Knowing there are hydraulic options is all you really need to know now.

And if you are like most of us, having made this first e-bike purchase, you are now hooked. Your life has changed for the better.... and safe bet there will not only be a "next bike", it'll be nicer than the one you have....

Good plan. Don't make mods just cuz. Ride it for a while, then fix what irritates you with a mod if/when necessary - and your own 'druthers in mind. Knowing there are hydraulic options is all you really need to know now.

And if you are like most of us, having made this first e-bike purchase, you are now hooked. Your life has changed for the better.... and safe bet there will not only be a "next bike", it'll be nicer than the one you have....
I think you are right! It is fun watching the genesis of e bikes. Maybe it’s always been there and now I’m noticing, but think in the next few years we will see a lot of changes. New companies for sure.

X
I used to didn't mind cable brakes but the friction bothered me quite a bit.

They work fine when cables / housing are new, but the friction seem to increase quite a bit after a few hundred miles.

Undue friction is a sign of a cable routing glitch or quality of the housing and/or cable. Like hydraulics and their necessary bleeding, over time, cables will need servicing as they stretch, lubricating oils dry, and inner wax coatings wear. But one should get a thousand or more commuting miles of effortless cable pulls between service.

I'm on my third set of pads and have over 2000 miles on my TRP HY/RDs. Cable pulls are still seamless.

Reactions: SYL
X

Undue friction is a sign of a cable routing glitch or quality of the housing and/or cable. Like hydraulics and their necessary bleeding, over time, cables will need servicing as they stretch, lubricating oils dry, and inner wax coatings wear. But one should get a thousand or more commuting miles of effortless cable pulls between service.

I'm on my third set of pads and have over 2000 miles on my TRP HY/RDs. Cable pulls are still seamless.
2000 miles and three sets of pads? either your braking going down hill constantly or your using really soft pads. I usually get 2 to 3 thousand miles from one set of pads and thats commuting with a lot of stops.

He said 2000 miles and on third set of pads.
Not three sets of pads / 2000 miles.

I do go through that many pads too, especially if I'm using softer pads like Shimano resin pads.
There are sintered, metallic or semi-metallic pads, but those are hard on rotors.
ya the Shimano normal ones we got not sure maybe 600 to 800 on our tandem with 4 piston. going to the metal ones next.

You guys need to check out the latest video on youtube from Bolton. Kyle has a caliper that is hydraulic and you can use your existing levers and cables. Easy to convert

Reactions: SYL
After watching the YouTube video(s) on the hydraulic break conversion, I wonder if there is a downside to these breaks? I really appreciate your response to my query. Thank you.

Back