Hill climbing ability

Again, the output between active line and CX are the same even though it is different motors. I ride a CX with the Trek Powerfly 8.

250 watt is a cut off in some places for being labelled a bicycle. The bafang motors you're listing are not classified as "bicycles" they would be mopeds. In most states that have a class system under 750 watts is bicycle, over is motorbike or moped. You would not be allowed on greenways and certainly not natural surface.

Check out People For Bikes / Ebikes and resources to find state general statutes regarding ebikes/bicycles.

I'm sure your bike works great in your application but I have a heavy Fatbike and it takes a lot of torque to move it around. That's why the Bafang Ultra works so well with it.

As far as legalities , I ride 99 % on paved trails and streets. No one will bother you around here. But, take an e-bike on a MTB trail and the hate will be everywhere. For whatever reason they can't stand seeing ebikes on the dirt paths.

Last edited:
Again, the output between active line and CX are the same even though it is different motors. I ride a CX with the Trek Powerfly 8.

250 watt is a cut off in some places for being labelled a bicycle. The bafang motors you're listing are not classified as "bicycles" they would be mopeds. In most states that have a class system under 750 watts is bicycle, over is motorbike or moped. You would not be allowed on greenways and certainly not natural surface.

Check out People For Bikes / Ebikes and resources to find state general statutes regarding ebikes/bicycles.
M2S sells Ultra mid-motor bikes but derates them 750w (1500w peak) so as to be legal - similar to what Bosch/brose et al are likely doing with their 250w (500w peak) motors.
Regardless, i refuse to pay top dollar for 500w peak Euro motors with lame low capacity, low voltage 36v batteries. I'd gladly pay for a sleek Euro-look with Ultra motor/48v20ah battery. Unfortunately, I don't think such a thing - yet - exists. Give it a year and I hope there will be a few choices.

That said, haven't heard anyone ever (outside NYC) say that someone has checked to see if they have class 1, 2 or 3 ebikes. It seems a legal nicety, but nobody really cares. Just dont act like a jerk

I am having trouble deciding myself between a nicely designed as @MisterM would call euro bike and what seems to be a high power Bafang bike. Trouble is my LBS does not carry these high power Bafangs to try one against the other euro bikes. The other thing is battery replacement cost. I love the look and low price of the Haibike Urban Plus along with good components vs Cross Current S, Magnum, Biktrix and a couple others. Then again there is a kit added to a decent quality bike. Man the choices seem to be growing rather than shrinking.

I am having trouble deciding myself between a nicely designed as @MisterM would call euro bike and what seems to be a high power Bafang bike. Trouble is my LBS does not carry these high power Bafangs to try one against the other euro bikes. The other thing is battery replacement cost. I love the look and low price of the Haibike Urban Plus along with good components vs Cross Current S, Magnum, Biktrix and a couple others. Then again there is a kit added to a decent quality bike. Man the choices seem to be growing rather than shrinking.
I'm definitely in the same boat. The least expensive solution for me is a DIY build, but despite how easy it looks in a YouTube video I know my build won't go that smoothly and then I'll just be mad with my choice. The pre-built bikes look nice, but many begin to look the same and are probably coming out of the same factory just with different components and branding much like the automotive battery industry.

@PCDoctorUSA

I have been going back and forth on the DYI it seems that it is not less expensive than say a RadPower or Juiced type but you would end up with better bits and pieces for the same dollars. You can go really cheap bike, battery and ebay kit not really getting something safe in my eyes. If you have a good bicycle than surely you can save with a kit.

I think if you like to tinker and customize and are not going to expect the bike to act like a traditional mtb on natural surface features (rock gardens, downhill, logs) then you might be better with the DIY kits. For me - I'm riding like a mtb on mtb trails with support from my local bike shop. Since I ride so much more now I am replacing parts at 1000 miles which can be every other month. The local bike shop and support I get is worth the extra money and reliability of my equipment. I put my bike in the shop for two weeks and my body is locking up, back pain, etc.. I need my bike - it's my physical therapy.

I think if you like to tinker and customize and are not going to expect the bike to act like a traditional mtb on natural surface features (rock gardens, downhill, logs) then you might be better with the DIY kits. For me - I'm riding like a mtb on mtb trails with support from my local bike shop. Since I ride so much more now I am replacing parts at 1000 miles which can be every other month. The local bike shop and support I get is worth the extra money and reliability of my equipment. I put my bike in the shop for two weeks and my body is locking up, back pain, etc.. I need my bike - it's my physical therapy.
@elyhim

My local bike shop is 2.5 hrs. away so that is an issue. Most repairs I will do myself as I do with all my motorcycles. My job keeps me busy from 5:00 am - 5:00 pm so a reliable low maintenance E-bike is high on my list.

@elyhim

My local bike shop is 2.5 hrs. away so that is an issue. Most repairs I will do myself as I do with all my motorcycles. My job keeps me busy from 5:00 am - 5:00 pm so a reliable low maintenance E-bike is high on my list.

Since a LBS visit carves out a lot of your time, it seems like the best choice IMO would be to write down the bikes you can see yourself riding every day and then cross off the ones that probably aren't a good fit for the riding you want to do. With that short list, go to the vendor's website and read their warranty terms and see what restrictions they place on how warranty work is to be performed. Haibike is one such vendor that spells out very plainly that the warranty work is to be provided by the shop that sold you the bike. If you go to another Haibike dealer, he's within his rights to charge you for any costs outside of the replacement part from Haibike.

With your shortened list in hand, check the EBR forums and other sites for user reviews on problems with the bikes on your list and how well the vendor handled warranty issues. Every bike is going to have problems, so look for a repeat of the same problem. The spoke issues that JuicedBikes was having with the CCS is one example. As with reviews of any product, you should probably disregard that glowing praise report of how magnificent the bike is as well as the review that condemns everything about the bike because the bell was the wrong pitch. Just my 2-cents.

Juggernaut Classic - 1000W BBSHD
If you don't mind my asking, what year model is your JC and did it come with the gear sensor installed? If so, how is that working out for you? Thinking about the JC as an asphalt commuter (different tires of course) due to a couple of minor hills and then one final ascent home that I've given up on with my non-ebike. I'd love to be able to afford the Ultra with torque sensing, but the JC is already going over my budget of $2k.

If you don't mind my asking, what year model is your JC and did it come with the gear sensor installed? If so, how is that working out for you? Thinking about the JC as an asphalt commuter (different tires of course) due to a couple of minor hills and then one final ascent home that I've given up on with my non-ebike. I'd love to be able to afford the Ultra with torque sensing, but the JC is already going over my budget of $2k.
I just got my JC 1000W BBSHD a few weeks ago. It has the gear shifting sensor on it. I got this bike to do exactly what you are describing. One reason I got the Biktrix was Roshan said he would have 29'er or 27.5 plus wheel set ups to purchase sometime when his supplier gets going. Mine has the cadence sensor. It is not as refined as some of the name brand ebikes I have tried but there aren't many mid drive ebikes with a throttle. It has so much power the tires aren't an issue for me or my commute. Now if you pedal without the assist on it is a work out. I have had it on super muddy single track with the fendors and was riding hills and trails I haven't been able to do in years.

I just got my JC 1000W BBSHD a few weeks ago. It has the gear shifting sensor on it. I got this bike to do exactly what you are describing. One reason I got the Biktrix was Roshan said he would have 29'er or 27.5 plus wheel set ups to purchase sometime when his supplier gets going. Mine has the cadence sensor. It is not as refined as some of the name brand ebikes I have tried but there aren't many mid drive ebikes with a throttle. It has so much power the tires aren't an issue for me or my commute. Now if you pedal without the assist on it is a work out. I have had it on super muddy single track with the fendors and was riding hills and trails I haven't been able to do in years.
Awesome! Exactly the information I needed. I've had excellent communication with Roshan during my ebike research, and I like the idea of being able to switch out the wheels to something less "fat" if I want. I would definitely want to change out the tires to something quieter and puncture resistant, which will be a lot easier to do without a hub motor involved. The roadways along my route are long overdue for repaving and there's no improvement in sight, so I'm hoping a fat tire bike will smoothen out the ride along with a suspension seat post. My poor Trek needs a break.

I could see using the Juggernaut MX 1000 to commute if I could get the 29 x 3" wheels and street tires.

Awesome! Exactly the information I needed. I've had excellent communication with Roshan during my ebike research, and I like the idea of being able to switch out the wheels to something less "fat" if I want. I would definitely want to change out the tires to something quieter and puncture resistant, which will be a lot easier to do without a hub motor involved. The roadways along my route are long overdue for repaving and there's no improvement in sight, so I'm hoping a fat tire bike will smoothen out the ride along with a suspension seat post. My poor Trek needs a break.

The next conversation with Roshan ask about when the 29'er wheel set or 27.5 plus wheel set will be available. BTW the day I got my bike it snowed about 10". It was a blast riding it through the neighborhood before the snowplows cleared the streets.

The next conversation with Roshan ask about when the 29'er wheel set or 27.5 plus wheel set will be available. BTW the day I got my bike it snowed about 10". It was a blast riding it through the neighborhood before the snowplows cleared the streets.
Will do. I noticed in another thread you reported having chain issues. Anymore problems with that? Any idea what caused it? What size Ah battery did you go with?

Will do. I noticed in another thread you reported having chain issues. Anymore problems with that? Any idea what caused it? What size Ah battery did you go with?
Biktrix just figured the chain was defective and is sending out a new one. It snapped two times both times in PA #3, no gear changing, just moderate hill climb. I was in a mid gear so the chain line was relatively straight as well. So I feel like it was a defect. It happened on my very first ride. I don't think I even changed gears at all at that point. I got two of the 11 Ah batteries.

I could see using the Juggernaut MX 1000 to commute if I could get the 29 x 3" wheels and street tires.

I just put these on my bike and love them. We have some cratered streets in this town and I din't want to give up the fat tire cushion. Inflated to 20 lbs.

Attachments

• _DSC1680.jpg
    _DSC1680.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 786
  • _DSC1682.jpg
    _DSC1682.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 790
Back