Hill climbing ability

keithd

Here is my dilemma my LBS has no major hills nearby that would be similar to my daily commute. I like the Stromer ST1 Elite how does this compare to the more powerful motor of the Radcity hill climbing? If I go the mid-drive route I would most likely look for an internal hub or Nuvinci system bike both of which I have not ridden as of yet. Am I asking too much? Please do tell.

Thanks

The Radmini or Radrover have geared 750w rear hub with 2X the TQ of the Radcity. The Rad Power Bikes with 4" fat tires are much better hill climbers and faster acceleration compared to the Radwagon, Radcity, or Rad step-thru. Some folks that are mostly urban riding upgraded the tires to Maxxis Hooworm 26X2.5" tires for better traction and longer tire wear.

I'm +275lbs and ride year round (low teens in winter and up to 105 degrees in summer in southwest) and had zero issues with performance at these extremes. Usually, the big downside with rear hub motors is range of 20-40 miles compared to 40-80 miles for a mid-drive. Upside is rear hubs are 1/2 the price or more of the average mid-drive ebike.

Mini type is a definite no go with me. I have thought about fat tire and really do not believe I want to go that route for commuting. I would like to stay lower cost, but my love of quality keeps sending me to the higher price arena. My short list is Juiced CCS, Haibike Urban Plus, Velec R48M, Evelo Galaxy TT. At some point, I have to just decide.

I've put +4100 miles on my two Radrover as my work commuter and trail runner since Sept/2016. Very comfy ride with the 4" fat tires; easy to transition multiple terrains during my ride from smooth to broken pavement/side walks, dirt lots, sand/gravel; and good traction on wet surfaces. I like that I can take detours on my work commute and hit the Rio Grande river and ride the 20-30 miles paved, hardpacked trail, and single tracked trails before heading home.

Most fat tire, plus size tires, and regular ebikes with the same type of drive system (hub or mid-drive) pretty much weight about the same. What makes it a good commuter or fun bike is how you intend to use it. I would lean towards a more urban class 3 ebike if my commute was +15 miles one way, mostly level ground, and paved all the way. I would probably need two ebikes to do the job of my one Radrover to support the way I like to ride.

Last edited:
@JayVee

Age 55 5' 10" 190 lbs. fitness much better than most my age as well as some of the younger guys that work for me. Mount Washington Valley NH is filled with hills most 3-9% grades but there are many stretches over 10%. Just the hill heading up to my house is a 13% grade several hundred yards long with a slower gradual 5-7% climb prior to for a half mile or so. Paved roads mostly 12-mile round trip. Weekend riding would be paved roads in the area with the same type of terrain.

Last edited:
@JayVee

Age 55 5' 10" 190 lbs. fitness much better than most my age as well as some of the younger guys that work for me. Mount Washington Valley NH is filled with hills most 3-9% grades but there are many stretches over 10%. Just the hill heading up to my house is a 13% grade several hundred yards long with a slower gradual 5-7% climb prior to for a half mile or so. Paved roads mostly 12-mile round trip. Weekend riding would be paved roads in the area with the same type of terrain.
You're already a cyclist so you may have thought about all of this, but here goes:

With those hills, I'd look very carefully at the torque specs in Court's reviews of the bikes you are interested in. The more nm's of torque, the better.

That being said, I would also either get a bike with a good size granny gear on the rear hub (42 tooth?) and maybe no more than a 40 tooth chainring. You might have to be ready to change the chainring in order to get the bike you want. The Juiced Bikes, for instance, are optimized for speed and have a 52 tooth chainring. Not so good for pedaling up those kinds of hills, but if you like the CCS, then change out the sprocket.

No matter what bike you get, you're going to have to use the pedals on those hills. For a guy in the kind of shape you're in, no problem. You will still get pedal assist, it's not like it cuts off at a certain % of grade LOL. You'll just have to do more of the work on steeper hills.

Maybe look at bikes with enough room to put on a 2 sprocket crankset. A nice size cruising sprocket and a teeny one for the granny gear. The bike I have is the Juiced Bikes CCS, and it's pretty tight in there. No room for 2 sprockets. Perhaps other brands would have room for 2 chainrings, I just don't know. Just thinking out loud here boss.

Thanks for your input Bruce, I am not looking for high speed as my motorcycles cover that end of things for me. I am just looking for a comfortable way to add a little more exercise to my life. So changing a chainring on a faster bike to give the desired comfort on hills is something I can live with. My LBS is 2.5 hrs. away and does not have the hills to test ride as I would like. I was looking at Evelo as they offer a 10 day test period and an excellent warranty. I do not care for the battery position.

Take a look at the Magnum Peak: 24 Speed 3×8 Shimano Altus Front M310, Shimano Acera M360 Rear, 11-32T. They respond to any questions within 1 business day via their website.

The Magnum Peak could be a great commuter. What makes the Peak stand out is having 24 speeds available to you for when you need to climb. I almost bought this one last week, but had a negative experience with the LBS who was in the process of becoming a Magnum dealer. The folks at Magnum were very apologetic and were willing to make things right, but I don't want to get the bike and then have to deal with this particular LBS for any possible warranty work.

Watch Court's review on the Peak (he did 2 in 2017) and if you're still interested check and see if Magnum has any dealers in your area and take it for a test drive. In fact, put together a list of the other bikes mentioned here and see if it's possible to test ride them nearby. I'm stuck on an island (O'ahu) so my options are very limited. I've got a business trip to Seattle tentatively set for June, and I'm going to take a few extra days to check out the local bike shops and test ride the bikes I've had on my list for the past 6 months.

Sometimes the downside with eMTB are they can have a more aggressive wider forward leaning arm reach and may have limited or no mounting points for water bottles or racks.
@mrgold35 makes a good point about riding position. Installing an adjustable stem or a stem riser could give you a more upright riding position. As for needing fenders and a rack, Magnum does have a rear rack available for an additional $50 and I'm sure you could probably find aftermarket fenders on Amazon. A LBS could also help you out with any accessories you need for whichever bike you settle on.

I don't know exactly where you're located, but you mentioned riding in Mount Washington Valley NH. Using that as a guide, the closest Magnum dealer is Ebikes of New England in Londonderry and it looks like they carry a lot of other ebike brands worth considering. Google Maps show it's a 2.5 hour drive from MWV. Ebike test riding sounds like a great reason for a ROAD TRIP!

Urban Plus should be a top contender for sure. Mid drive at rear hub price. I don't see a need for more than 10 gears unless your battery is dead!

@JayVee Great hill climbing videos. It would be nice to see this with other bikes that claim to be great climbers. May I ask what overlay you're using?

Looks like the Haibike hung in there with you on that first clip. I was exhausted after watching. I'm going to stop whining about my 5% grade home. Not to hijack this thread but do you like the Haibike Trekking Sduro S 6.0?

Wow @JayVee
That adds perspective

@PCDoctorUSA yes Ebikes of NE is my local but does not have the hills close by. Great guy with lots of knowledge I rode a Stromer ST1 and a couple of Haibikes there. I did not try the Urban plus there nor did I ride any Bafang powered bikes. In the old days, I had a carbon fiber street bike with Ultegra setup that I would do hills like that on not so much nowadays LOL. Aging s__cks.

Last edited:
I've used VIRB with the exported GPX(?) file from my Garmin Forerunner and video from my GeekPro. I was impressed with the final product I created but I must have missed those specific overlays you used. I'll have to dig a little deeper in the app. Thanks.

Back