High power 18650 battery pack

maarkmohamed

I have a question that i simply cannot figure out... if someone could help me figure this out it would alleviate a lot of stress i have been having. Ok so lets say im building a 20s 20p battery pack. Each cell is capable of 30A discharge max. And so i connect the entire pack using the proper nickel strip size to handle the 30A. Now its all done and typically what you would do is solder your positive and negative discharge cables to positive and negative main of the battery... ( either that or connect it to bms but im going to bypass bms discharge and only use it for charge, so id connect directly to positive and negative main of pack) Heres the tough part, now if you have 20 cells in parallel each capable of 30A discharge each, thats a total of 600 A. And that would mean you need a terminal which is at least 4/0 awg. The problem is how are you going to solder a 4/0 gauge on to the pack, thats to difficult. My thought is, can you put a copper bar next to the battery main positive and negative, connect your main positive and negative to the copper bar via nickel strip, and at the top of that bar put a hole, bolt and nut with the 4/0 terminal? Hope that makes sense, if theres any confusion ill try to clear it up.

I'm questioning on how you wired the battery pack, is it in parallel or in series. If its in parallel then you only have about 4 volt output and 600 amps max. load. The nickle strips wouldn't even handle the load and will burn out and your 4 gauge wire size would be about right. But if they are in series, then you will have about 80 volt output and 30 amps output surge. I would guess 10 gauge wire could be used.

I'm questioning on how you wired the battery pack, is it in parallel or in series. If its in parallel then you only have about 4 volt output and 600 amps max. load. The nickle strips wouldn't even handle the load and will burn out and your 4 gauge wire size would be about right. But if they are in series, then you will have about 80 volt output and 30 amps output surge. I would guess 10 gauge wire could be used.

Ive figured out the solution to my problem. The configuration is a 20 series 20 parallel pack.

Back